LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Posted: March 11, 2020, 12:11 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
We now have our first major cancellation with the Mariners announcing that their opening series will not be played in Seattle.

I'm guessing there will be more to come so here is a place to discuss changes to MLB games.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Posted: March 11, 2020, 12:48 PM Post
While Evan Longoria hopes it doesn't create too many games without fans...he did mention that he is used to it from his past. Poor Rays getting roasted by Longoria.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 12:49 PM Post
The season is scheduled to start early because baseball wanted to avoid a conflict between the World Series and the election. I wonder if they’re considering moving the games played at the end of March/early April to the end of September, as they did after 9/11. You’d have the conflict with the election, but it could buy MLB another week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 1:14 PM Post
I read that in this specific instance, the Mariners may play their opening series in Texas...and shift a future series from Texas to Seattle once this calms down a bit. I don't think this is a straight up cancellation from what I've seen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 1:28 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I read that in this specific instance, the Mariners may play their opening series in Texas...and shift a future series from Texas to Seattle once this calms down a bit. I don't think this is a straight up cancellation from what I've seen.

The same Texas that is about to axe large events like this also?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 1:31 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:

I read that Seattle is going to play its first two home series at their Spring Training complex so who knows exactly what is going on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 1:33 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
KeithStone53151 said:

I read that Seattle is going to play its first two home series at their Spring Training complex so who knows exactly what is going on.

It seems likely that games will be played in Peoria. They are refunding tickets for Opening Day. So that's a pretty big deal!

We may eventually progress to all 30 teams playing the first couple weeks in AZ/FL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 1:57 PM Post
owbc said:
jerichoholicninja said:
KeithStone53151 said:

It seems likely that games will be played in Peoria. They are refunding tickets for Opening Day. So that's a pretty big deal!

We may eventually progress to all 30 teams playing the first couple weeks in AZ/FL.

Aside from tradition, that's not a terrible idea to do every year. Baseball when it's below 40 is terrible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 2:02 PM Post
the cancellations are growing at a stunning pace. I won't be surprised if the first few weeks of the season aren't played in empty stadiums, something I didn't think was possible just last week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 2:32 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Hassel_Chris/status/1237827196296757249?s=20

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 2:52 PM Post
patrickgpe said:

News just broke the tourneys will be played without fans. Also just in, if you're older than 65 you can't watch the games on television either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 5:20 PM Post
Do not be shocked if the Brewers/Cubs opening series is played in Phoenix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 5:33 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
AZBrewCrew said:

At this point I would be shocked if it is played in Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 5:42 PM Post
owbc said:
AZBrewCrew said:

At this point I would be shocked if it is played in Milwaukee.

At this point I kind of will be shocked if it's played. All it takes is one member of one team to contract the virus and an entire team then needs to be quarantined

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 5:47 PM Post
I would be absolutely shocked if any team is playing for fans opening day to be honest.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 6:43 PM Post
For those of you lucky enough to be in AZ for spring training....

Has the virus impacted how much players are interacting with fans at ST? I know it's typically a great time to get a lot of autographs, etc. I was curious if the teams have instructed players to avoid those situations to limit the person to person contact with random fans.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 6:52 PM Post
wildcat83 said:
For those of you lucky enough to be in AZ for spring training....

Has the virus impacted how much players are interacting with fans at ST? I know it's typically a great time to get a lot of autographs, etc. I was curious if the teams have instructed players to avoid those situations to limit the person to person contact with random fans.

It was fine last week while I was there...but some teams are starting to crack down on policies.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:17 PM Post
There is no way to know since it is a new virus. Everything I've read though suggests that warmer areas and areas with more humidity are not getting hit nearly as hard. This strain doesn't appear to like the heat. So I would guess that as we move into April the spread slows way down even without all of the precautions. But I certainly wouldn't want the people in charge to be acting on guesses. They have to act on more of the worst case scenario.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:43 PM Post
NBA just suspended the season after Rudy Gobert tested positive for the virus. Can't imagine the MLB starting the season in two weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:45 PM Post
MLB is likely a day or two at most away from whacking the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply