LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 69  Next  [ 1370 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: July 24, 2020, 3:03 PM Post
young guns said:
I think it was fitting that the first real game of the season was shortened due to rain last night.

You know, if they play three inning games, they can get all 162 in. Woodruff with three wins and Hader with three saves in a single day.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 25, 2020, 7:22 AM Post
With their win on Opening Day, this marks the first time the Marlins have been in first place after June 27th.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 25, 2020, 9:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
From The Athletic: Reds’ loss to Tigers isn’t the only sobering reality on Day 2 of the season

From the article...

It was before then, before anyone stepped on the field, that reality struck. It was announced that Matt Davidson, who just a day before was talking about the emotion of making a big-league team again, was taken off the active roster because he tested positive for COVID-19.

Davidson, though, was in the dugout on Friday, among his teammates. He stood on the field for the national anthem then took two at-bats before being replaced for a pinch-hitter in the first game of the season. He did that while he was awaiting the results of yet another COVID-19 test, one that came back as positive.

This is the part that will continue to be problematic. With tests spaced out every other day there will be players that are COVID positive who are sharing planes, buses, dugouts, hotels, dining, and the field with fellow team members and staff. I hope for both the Reds and baseball’s sake this stays isolated to just Davidson, but at some point there will be teams that will likely have at least a mini-outbreak from this type of scenario.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 9:18 AM Post
Did we really have any stars opt out at all? Stars of today, not 5 years ago like Price and Posey. Understandably some guys chose to stay home but it's good to see that any concerns that all the big names were just going to sit this one out in 2020 and we'd have a watered down product turned out to be unfounded.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 9:42 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Did we really have any stars opt out at all? Stars of today, not 5 years ago like Price and Posey. Understandably some guys chose to stay home but it's good to see that any concerns that all the big names were just going to sit this one out in 2020 and we'd have a watered down product turned out to be unfounded.

In the end, it was about $, not safety and health.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 11:00 AM Post
Moose is out with Covid symptoms. Cincy may have a problem -mini outbreak is feared.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 2:53 PM Post
4 Marlins test positive as well. Yikes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 3:40 PM Post
Yeah. Sigh. It's random and impossible to contain, and it feels like we're all just hoping to get lucky. I really, really hope MLB has set case threshholds and contingency planned beyond just the 60-player pool.

I hope we get baseball. But if you're looking at 6 potential cases already? In one weekend. That does not bode well....and if MLB can't contain this with all its testing and contact resources, I shudder to think how it's going to look for schools, etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 3:54 PM Post
Cool Hand Lucroy said:
Yeah. Sigh. It's random and impossible to contain, and it feels like we're all just hoping to get lucky. I really, really hope MLB has set case threshholds and contingency planned beyond just the 60-player pool.

I hope we get baseball. But if you're looking at 6 potential cases already? In one weekend. That does not bode well....and if MLB can't contain this with all its testing and contact resources, I shudder to think how it's going to look for schools, etc.

Schools may "attempt" to re-open, but one case in a building will shut them back down again...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2020, 4:20 PM Post
turborickey said:
Cool Hand Lucroy said:

Schools may "attempt" to re-open, but one case in a building will shut them back down again...

The biggest problem with schools is going to be teachers. Schools are always a hotbed for colds and flu, especially with younger kids, and they’re going to be telling kids and teachers to stay home if they feel sick. But there is already a shortage of substitute teachers, and how how many subs are going to want to step into that environment? Then let a teacher or staff member test positive, or worse get really sick, and it’s going to be hard to get people to come.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:09 AM Post
Global Moderator
This is really bad news...

Passan: Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation tell me and @JesseRogersESPN.

Rosenthal: Source: Marlins’ game tonight against Orioles in Miami has been cancelled. Team still in Philadelphia.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:20 AM Post
oh boy, this is not what we want to see...

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:24 AM Post
If they didn't build this into the plan then they were living in a fantasy world. They had to have discussed how to handle an outbreak like this happening.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:27 AM Post
Yeah, stuff like this will be going on all season, and hopefully no one is going to become seriously ill.

What will be interesting to see is if the early guys who have already been through this ever end up getting it again, or if their immunity lasts at least through the season.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
Well it was fun while it lasted.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:51 AM Post

GIF Master
Congrats to the Orioles, Rays, Yankees, Indians, Tigers, Twins, Astros, A's, Braves, Marlins, Cardinals, Cubs, Rockies, Padres on their championship seasons!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:52 AM Post
They had to know this would happen at some point. I’m not sure how they will ever make up games in such a condensed season, but this has to be discussed at some point.

I don’t think this will stop the season unless a player has severe symptoms. I think if a player ever gets ill to the point of a ventilator or life threatening symptoms the danger would become very real and players would bail. If all the cases amongst players are minor symptoms I think they play through it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:55 AM Post

GIF Master
wildcat83 said:
If all the cases amongst players are minor symptoms I think they play through it.

I hope not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 7:55 AM Post
I don't follow. If this was going to end the season they never should have started in this first place. Something like this was extremely likely to happen. Pinning down who has it and isolating those folks is what matters. I really don't think they'll white flag it right away. The NBA has an ideal situation with team size and the ability to bubble, but with baseball and football I was expecting this.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I don't follow. If this was going to end the season they never should have started in this first place. Something like this was extremely likely to happen. Pinning down who has it and isolating those folks is what matters. I really don't think they'll white flag it right away. The NBA has an ideal situation with team size and the ability to bubble, but with baseball and football I was expecting this.

Yep. MLB had to know this was going to happen. That's why each team has a 60-player roster. Still ... it has to be discouraging that it's taken less than 4 days for their to be a big outbreak. Dang this is a nasty virus!

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 69  Next  [ 1370 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply