LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 69  Next  [ 1370 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 8:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
dlk9s said:
Congrats to the Orioles, Rays, Yankees, Indians, Tigers, Twins, Astros, A's, Braves, Marlins, Cardinals, Cubs, Rockies, Padres on their championship seasons!

If there was ever a year to start out 3-0, this would have been it. It was the first time since 1954 that no team started the season 3-0.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 8:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
Tonight's Yankees-Phillies game has also now been postponed while the Phillies (who played the Marlins this weekend) await their own test results that are expected later today.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 8:56 AM Post
What do they do, lift the B team up until the remaining 16 players are in the clear/those that were positive produce the two negative tests?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:04 AM Post

Roster Guru
when there's an outbreak like this, not only does a club potentially recall or select the contract(s) of a number of players from the collective player pool at the alternate training site, but they also potentially invite more players to the collective player pool to replace those brought up from the alternate training site. that of course, has its own risks because each player invited to the ats has to clear intake, and then try to catch up to players who have been working out as a group for almost a month already.

just as a player is removed from the 40-man roster when placed on the covid-19 injured list, he is also removed from the 60-man cpp.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:08 AM Post
dlk9s said:
wildcat83 said:
If all the cases amongst players are minor symptoms I think they play through it.

I hope not.

I'm not saying it's the correct thing to do, but it had to be part of their plan. If they were going to shut the whole season down for an outbreak they would have never started. The odds of an outbreak like this occurring had to be almost 100%. They would be completely foolish to think they would get through a 60 game schedule without an outbreak happening. So to me, if they were willing to start the season, they were willing to play through an outbreak like this.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
I am curious to see how players around the league react. A third of the players on a team contracted COVID and they are now basically stuck in a visiting city with no clear plan for how they’re getting back to Miami. The players may make a lot of money relative to the rest of us, but they are also people with families and concerns for their own health and well-being. The fallout from this could certainly be greater than just whatever MLB decides.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:30 AM Post
I remain shocked that people remain shocked every time there is a localized outbreak of COVID-19. I think we know well enough by now that it has and will continue to spread like wildfire and one would assume there have been contingencies put in place for this exact scenario -- ie, 60 man rosters.

If the season is cancelled now, the restart plan was a terrible one and doomed to fail from the start.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
Watching highlights and watching a few of the games I'm still seeing players high five and the A's game where Olson hit the walk-off Grand slam everybody gathered at home plate to do the obligatory Gatorade bath and pile up at the plate. If 14 Marlins have covid, The rest of the team is at the very least potentially exposed. I know they're doing their due diligence with daily testing, but it seems like they're going to have to get a lot more stringent with actually enforcing the no handshake and high-five rules rather than just paying them lip service.

The Marlins are basically going to be fielding a minor league team now, as if they weren't already. Imagine if this was the Brewers and it was yelich, hiura, woodruff, hader, and then seven other random guys. You could pretty much stick a fork in the season right there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
I remain shocked that people remain shocked every time there is a localized outbreak of COVID-19. I think we know well enough by now that it has and will continue to spread like wildfire and one would assume there have been contingencies put in place for this exact scenario -- ie, 60 man rosters.

If the season is cancelled now, the restart plan was a terrible one and doomed to fail from the start.

I'm betting that Manfred and the owners know that there is a chance that this season doesn't make it all the way through. That doesn't mean the plan was doomed from the start, but there is a less than 100% chance that this season makes it to completion.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season [Latest: Marlins game cancelled; at least 14 players/coaches test positive]
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:41 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Watching highlights and watching a few of the games I'm still seeing players high five and the A's game where Olson hit the walk-off Grand slam everybody gathered at home plate to do the obligatory Gatorade bath and pile up at the plate. If 14 Marlins have covid, The rest of the team is at the very least potentially exposed. I know they're doing their due diligence with daily testing, but it seems like they're going to have to get a lot more stringent with actually enforcing the no handshake and high-five rules rather than just paying them lip service.

The Marlins are basically going to be fielding a minor league team now, as if they weren't already. Imagine if this was the Brewers and it was yelich, hiura, woodruff, hader, and then seven other random guys. You could pretty much stick a fork in the season right there.

Stinks, but the consensus is that our season was over in September last year when Yelich broke his kneecap. We proceeded to play our best ball of the year. I believe we were missing Woodruff as well.

In this case at least when guys are lost they won't be lost for ths season and (should?) not have to worry about COVID individually for the rest of the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:42 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
adambr2 said:

I'm betting that Manfred and the owners know that there is a chance that this season doesn't make it all the way through. That doesn't mean the plan was doomed from the start, but there is a less than 100% chance that this season makes it to completion.

Definitely less than 100% that it's completed. But having it cancelled 3 games in would be a total failure.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:47 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:

This goes to what I posted in the COVID thread. People only care about being careful to the point that it interferes with their own life. Plenty of players stated in the past few months that they were concerned for their safety. Now that games are going on the vast majority don't seem to care at all. How many PSA's did the Brewers do about wearing masks the last couple weeks? It looks like the whole coaching staff is wearing masks but no player in the dugout is, at least not in any correct or effective manner.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 9:54 AM Post
While they should wear the masks in the dugout and stop doing obviously counterproductive things like post-game high-fives, I think that would mostly be for perception. Once the camera is off and six guys are playing Xbox and splitting a pizza this thing would spread around anyway.

Right now we should hope that no Phillies got it. It would be a positive sign if they completed a series without transmitting it and obviously less of an impediment to moving on. I'm with adam though. If you cancel it now, after this, the restart was a joke.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'll agree that it would be a complete disaster if the Phillies have positive tests as a result, and it would likely cause a re-evaluation of what is done from here.

If the season is 'paused' at this point, it would indeed be a complete failure, as it shows that the 'precautions' they took were completely inadequate and flawed from the get go.

It also shows that it's extraordinarily unlikely that NFL or college football is really going to happen this year. Baseball is arguably the major sport where social distancing is most possible, and they've found a way to screw it up after one series.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:09 AM Post

GIF Master
adambr2 said:
the restart plan was a terrible one and doomed to fail from the start.

Yes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:12 AM Post
I don't think the actual contact of the sport is very relevant, I've thought for months that was the most overstated factor in getting sports to re-start. It's all the other stuff that takes place outside of the game. It's just one small consideration in a 10k-piece puzzle.

Football teams are enormous though, without even considering the nature of the sport itself. Even isolating one team is a huge chore. I just can't see football happening in any form.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:13 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I'll agree that it would be a complete disaster if the Phillies have positive tests as a result, and it would likely cause a re-evaluation of what is done from here.

If the season is 'paused' at this point, it would indeed be a complete failure, as it shows that the 'precautions' they took were completely inadequate and flawed from the get go.

It also shows that it's extraordinarily unlikely that NFL or college football is really going to happen this year. Baseball is arguably the major sport where social distancing is most possible, and they've found a way to screw it up after one series.

I agree, except I would argue social distancing in baseball is all optics. During the game itself? Yes. But these guys are together far more hours every day than any other sport off the field.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
All the bubble leagues (NHL, MLS, NBA) had zero positive tests.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:25 AM Post
The English Premiere League completed its season yesterday, 50 weeks after it began. Since Project Restart began 17 June, a total of *three* positive tests. Any further discussion most likely belongs in the Political Forum.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 27, 2020, 10:35 AM Post
Global Moderator
I am curious to see when the Marlins (and even the Phillies) will be allowed to resume playing games? Even without a positive test Eric Lauer had to sit out for almost a week (I believe?) after he was exposed via close contact with someone that had the virus. Do the Marlins and Phillies players also need to wait several days after exposure? I am not familiar with how long it typically takes between being exposed and actually contracting the virus to the point where you would produce a positive test?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 69  Next  [ 1370 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply