LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
dlk9s said:
adambr2 said:
You know what will be kind of hilarious? When the first bench clearing brawl is about to take place and someone jumps in and reminds them that they can't do that because of social distancing requirements.

What in the world am I seeing here??? [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
KeithStone53151 said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a pretty significant contingent of players were very careful for this shortened season. I'm specifically looking at contract year guys and pitchers. I'm not going to say they'll mail it in, but they'll do their best to mitigate the risk of significant injury in such a short season. Maybe some pitchers only pitch with 90% effort and focus on their mechanics to not overstress anything. You think Betts is going to try for diving catches?

Pitching is a different animal due to the evolution of an arm over the course of a normal season so something like that wouldn't surprise me. Outfielders diving for balls, yes I expect to see that, because 99% of the players are competitors before businessmen and they got where they are by being better than the best.

Pitchers maybe but everyone else...what's the difference between getting hurt during a 162 game season vs a 60 game season?

Yeah, I was wondering why short season vs. long season was a problem... I'd think you'd have less fatigue injuries over a short season.

Plus, taking a year "off" means the pitcher has to shake off the rust and get the "feel" back. This isn't beer-league softball. These guys are the top 1% of all players (or less). Come back a little "less" than you were and you are out of baseball.

Also, if I'm signing a FA and someone took off this year, I'd question his commitment to the game and I wouldn't be signing him to a big deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 9:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
MrTPlush said:
Let’s not ignore the biggest obstacle still exists: COVID-19

This circus of trying to have a season is far from over.

Who is ignoring COVID-19? Choosing to see optimism in a potential season doesn't mean people are forgetting that the pandemic is still going on.

It’s just a comment, let’s not make it more than it is. I would be curious of the plans if and when people test positive...especially if an entire team gets hit hard. There is little wiggle room in the schedule for anything to go wrong, even a bunch of rainouts would be bad.

I read that there will be an injured list specifically for COVID, with no minimum or maximum time frame. So, if someone "shows signs" (i.e. has a temperature, coughing, etc.), the team can put them on the list. If it turns out to be negative, they can put them right back on the team. Conversely, if someone tests positive they can be on the IR for however long is necessary.

They are allowing teams 60 players to use for the season, so hopefully a team doesn't get hit so hard as to not have enough players for a game. An outbreak could lead to a team using an inordinate amount of minor leaguers, but that's still probably better than just scrapping the season.

Interesting about the potential to have a bunch of 5-game series. Having a deep staff becomes even more important, as teams can't stack their top pitchers against rivals like the Cubs do with Quintana against the Bewers. A 5-game series means that you should see the opposition's entire rotation, so some weak links in the rotation could be amplified.

Warts and all, I'm happy to see that baseball's back!!

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 9:51 AM Post
I think that would have been chaotic with many of those teams nowhere close to each other. The Brewers are very close to all of their opponents with the exception of maybe Pitt, who still isn't that far away. This will avoid the scenario where you're in LA and then Philly 2 days later. The logistics of making that equitable give me a headache just thinking about it. Geography was probably the way to go. Sucks for teams like Seattle though that really aren't that close to anyone.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
How does "being close" really help health and safety? Teams charter their own planes, so I question why flying 1 or 3 hours really makes a difference. I can see limiting what teams meet so you are only exposed to a limited set of people.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 10:46 AM Post
It doesn't really help safety and I wasn't saying that it did, it simply makes things easier, and eliminates crossing 3 time zones. Best to minimize that when cramming the season into a small window. Also, I think flying 1 vs 3 hours is quite a difference when the volume of flights is this high. It's just annoying.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 11:10 AM Post
Good point snapper, I did not think of geography in regards to schedule. Makes sense. I guess it seems kind of more helpful to the Central teams since teams are so close together. As others have said the Wests are really spread and Easts go up and down the coasts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 11:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
Snapper, I didn't mean to say you did (I didn't quote you). I've heard that a couple places as part of the player safety considerations.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 12:20 PM Post
Also, someone mentioned something earlier about the CBA having travel time rules and I think that was the kicker as far as keeping everyone close.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 12:22 PM Post
Reducing travel is probably mostly about reducing costs. I have no clue how much chartered planes cost but I'm sure it's a lot cheaper to fly Milwaukee to Kansas City than Milwaukee to LA or New York.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 12:37 PM Post
I don't think the cost hurts but it is really a CBA issue. At the last CBA the players were assured more time off on travel days.

"Sources told ESPN that the getaway-day changes will apply if a team has a game -- or even an off day at home -- the next day.

The new rules also will prohibit teams from scheduling an early-afternoon game the following day if one of the clubs played a night game in a different city the evening before."

It's easy to see how this becomes an issue if you are in LA and have to be in Milwaukee or Miami the next day.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 12:40 PM Post
Are any of these hundreds and hundreds of COVID cases that have been popping up in the professional and collegiate sports world the past couple weeks actually resulting in severe illnesses, hospitalizations, etc? Or is it more just a result of the massive amount of testing going on which is allowing us to find cases much more efficiently?

Honestly just curious, not trying to start anything. I would think if anyone in the sports world had anything close to life threatening complications, we'd hear about it, but maybe not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 12:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
Reducing travel is probably mostly about reducing costs. I have no clue how much chartered planes cost but I'm sure it's a lot cheaper to fly Milwaukee to Kansas City than Milwaukee to LA or New York.

Fuel is the #1 expense in flying, so I'm certain a 1 hour flight costs significantly less than a 3 hour flight.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 1:02 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Are any of these hundreds and hundreds of COVID cases that have been popping up in the professional and collegiate sports world the past couple weeks actually resulting in severe illnesses, hospitalizations, etc? Or is it more just a result of the massive amount of testing going on which is allowing us to find cases much more efficiently?

Honestly just curious, not trying to start anything. I would think if anyone in the sports world had anything close to life threatening complications, we'd hear about it, but maybe not.

Another interesting point, once the season is underway will teams just stop testing players. Would certainly be detrimental if 3-4 players on the Astros, for example, tested positive and had to quarantine/sit out as the playoffs were starting .

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 1:48 PM Post
I haven't seen the details mentioned yet on testing going forward. I'm sure it's out there but kind of surprising it hasn't been really pushed to the media. One would think they'd be tested daily or maybe every 2-3 days. top of my head I want to say NBA is doing every other day, or at least had that initially planned. Not sure if anything has changed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 1:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jopal78! said:
adambr2 said:

Another interesting point, once the season is underway will teams just stop testing players. Would certainly be detrimental if 3-4 players on the Astros, for example, tested positive and had to quarantine/sit out as the playoffs were starting .

I read they'll be tested every other day, and if they're positive they will have to sit out. Some team is going to have an outbreak and will have to play for a couple of weeks with minor leaguers filling in for starters.

As to "severe illness," from the numbers that are out there, it is very unlikely for a young, healthy person to get "severely ill" from COVID. It happens, but it's a fraction of a percent. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be cautious, but they're a bunch of young, healthy people with constant medical screening. They are at low risk of "severe illness" or death from COVID.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 2:04 PM Post
I'm hopeful that an in-season outbreak won't be an issue. Baseball players are quite isolated amongst each other during the season, this will probably be even more true this year. There have already been outbreaks at the ST facilities but there's no telling what those guys were doing in their spare time. Once everyone is rolling along there is not a whole lot of time to go exploring and I'd like to hope the teams will have a tight grip on the players.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 24, 2020, 2:05 PM Post
adambr2 said:

There are coaching staffs and most are made up of almost entirely people 50 or even 60+. There are also other essential employees any given day that will have at least some lukewarm interaction with players that could then take it home...thus snowball effect.

The players themselves aren’t at high risk...but many are. There isn’t a lot of data in sport related cases, just not that many yet in the grand scheme.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 5:40 PM Post
monty57 said:
Jopal78! said:
adambr2 said:

I read they'll be tested every other day, and if they're positive they will have to sit out. Some team is going to have an outbreak and will have to play for a couple of weeks with minor leaguers filling in for starters.

As to "severe illness," from the numbers that are out there, it is very unlikely for a young, healthy person to get "severely ill" from COVID. It happens, but it's a fraction of a percent. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be cautious, but they're a bunch of young, healthy people with constant medical screening. They are at low risk of "severe illness" or death from COVID.

The biggest problem is passing the virus to others. They are low risk for themselves, but they can and do carry the virus to others. Should a player with a pregnant wife, high risk child, caring for a parent take the chance of infecting them? Tough choices that the will have to make.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 9:08 PM Post
These are pretty much the same choices every single other working age person needs to make going about their daily life. I get the pregnant wife concerns, but how many MLB players live and care for their elderly parents during the baseball season? Pretty sure that's a bigger concern for alot more nurses and people working at amazon fulfillment hubs.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply