LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 24, 2020, 11:54 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
jerichoholicninja said:
Reducing travel is probably mostly about reducing costs. I have no clue how much chartered planes cost but I'm sure it's a lot cheaper to fly Milwaukee to Kansas City than Milwaukee to LA or New York.

Fuel is the #1 expense in flying, so I'm certain a 1 hour flight costs significantly less than a 3 hour flight.

The charter contracts were already budgeted and paid for before the season was to start. So any team travel expenses are a wash at this point

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2020, 7:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm sure like everything else in life, these are being negotiated also for the changes going on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2020, 3:18 PM Post
Positive Rona cases reported by the Twins and Diamondbacks today. I think we are sliding towards a case of “we agreed to your season in good faith,but out of an abundance of caution we don’t feel it would be prudent to play this season”

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2020, 5:51 PM Post
AZBrewCrew said:
Positive Rona cases reported by the Twins and Diamondbacks today. I think we are sliding towards a case of “we agreed to your season in good faith,but out of an abundance of caution we don’t feel it would be prudent to play this season”

I am starting to wonder the same thing...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 25, 2020, 7:10 PM Post
Neither side really cares about COVID-19 that much. They care about money. That much was obvious in negotiations. I don't see any indication that they are going to throw away all that money out of an "abundance of caution."

Cases on teams is neither surprising nor new, and it won't be the last, this thing is running rampant. Just something teams will learn to deal with, not run from. Positive test, immediate IL and quarantine for that player, contact trace, test entire team, move on like you would any time a player goes on IL, rinse, repeat.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 9:33 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Neither side really cares about COVID-19 that much. They care about money. That much was obvious in negotiations. I don't see any indication that they are going to throw away all that money out of an "abundance of caution."

Cases on teams is neither surprising nor new, and it won't be the last, this thing is running rampant. Just something teams will learn to deal with, not run from. Positive test, immediate IL and quarantine for that player, contact trace, test entire team, move on like you would any time a player goes on IL, rinse, repeat.

Damn Straight. Take Jon Lester for example an aging vet finishing up what could be his last multi-year contract. He was set to make 20 million dollars this year. His pro rata salary for 60 games will come out to around 7.5 million. COVID-19 will end up costing him 12.5 million dollars and possibly his last big pay day. A guy with a history of lymphoma and he has not said he has any problems with showing up and collecting that 7.5 million.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 1:20 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Would've thought the priority would be getting one series vs every league team before interleague. So I was surprised by that, but they're making the best of it. I guess it's kind of good for us with the AL Central being bad as well, sure the Sox should be improved a bit but Cleveland should have come down a little.

But with 15 teams in each league there has to be inter-league play going on or else two teams are idle. Problematic with a short season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 1:21 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
dlk9s said:
adambr2 said:
You know what will be kind of hilarious? When the first bench clearing brawl is about to take place and someone jumps in and reminds them that they can't do that because of social distancing requirements.

What in the world am I seeing here??? [laughing]

Thank you for asking, I was wondering the same. But I did have a good laugh watching it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 1:33 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Are any of these hundreds and hundreds of COVID cases that have been popping up in the professional and collegiate sports world the past couple weeks actually resulting in severe illnesses, hospitalizations, etc? Or is it more just a result of the massive amount of testing going on which is allowing us to find cases much more efficiently?

Honestly just curious, not trying to start anything. I would think if anyone in the sports world had anything close to life threatening complications, we'd hear about it, but maybe not.

One thought I have about this is how will the players act in their spare time. There is a long history of professional athletes partying and carrying on while on the road. Hopefully, they will adjust their lifestyles appropriately.

As an aside, I believe visiting teams stay at the Pfister. Maybe Milwaukee should start housing asymtomatic covid patients at the Pfister in hopes of decimating opponents rosters.

Before I get crucified for that last comment. I know if a player on another team were to come down with covid there is a chance they could spread it to the brewers during a game and I really don't wish this disease on anybody, even a Cardinal. It was totally tongue in cheek.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 26, 2020, 3:37 PM Post
Frank Turner Fan said:
adambr2 said:
Are any of these hundreds and hundreds of COVID cases that have been popping up in the professional and collegiate sports world the past couple weeks actually resulting in severe illnesses, hospitalizations, etc? Or is it more just a result of the massive amount of testing going on which is allowing us to find cases much more efficiently?

Honestly just curious, not trying to start anything. I would think if anyone in the sports world had anything close to life threatening complications, we'd hear about it, but maybe not.

One thought I have about this is how will the players act in their spare time. There is a long history of professional athletes partying and carrying on while on the road. Hopefully, they will adjust their lifestyles appropriately.

As an aside, I believe visiting teams stay at the Pfister. Maybe Milwaukee should start housing asymtomatic covid patients at the Pfister in hopes of decimating opponents rosters.

Before I get crucified for that last comment. I know if a player on another team were to come down with covid there is a chance they could spread it to the brewers during a game and I really don't wish this disease on anybody, even a Cardinal. It was totally tongue in cheek.

They won't have a choice in many places without strip clubs, night clubs, restaurants, etc., and crowd control in places that are open. One would hope the clubs will be supportive of quarantine measures so that we can actually have a season. Curfews and things like that. I believe there are basically 6 off days in the first place so there is not a whole lot of time in the first place.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 3:53 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Frank Turner Fan said:
adambr2 said:

They won't have a choice in many places without strip clubs, night clubs, restaurants, etc., and crowd control in places that are open. One would hope the clubs will be supportive of quarantine measures so that we can actually have a season. Curfews and things like that. I believe there are basically 6 off days in the first place so there is not a whole lot of time in the first place.

I think this will be a really interesting behind the scenes team dynamic. I'm sure there are plenty of 22/23 or so year old guys that are going to act like 22/23 year olds and think they're invincible and want to go out and party. Who's going to stop them? The veterans? The coaching staff? Will teams have security at the hotels making sure guys aren't going anywhere or making sure they aren't bringing individuals to their rooms?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2020, 7:07 PM Post
AZBrewCrew said:

Yup. CYA legally alone will kill the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2020, 7:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross deciding today not to play in 2020. Should be noted zims mom has ms and is high risk, so he likely would not be able to see her during the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2020, 9:31 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross deciding today not to play in 2020. Should be noted zims mom has ms and is high risk, so he likely would not be able to see her during the season.

Add Mike Leake and Ian Desmond to that list. Will be interesting to see the final numbers.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 30, 2020, 6:13 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:

The Cubs would be taking a huge hit if Anthony Rizzo and Jon Lester choose not to report. Being cancer survivors puts both at a much higher risk.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 3:01 PM Post
I gotta think Zimmerman, Leake, Ross, and Desmond are just the tip of the iceberg on the "opt-out."

In fact, I would set the over-under at about 30 players.

If I had millions in the bank I would like think long and hard about whether or not to travel and interact with thousands of people, versus just sitting out one year. This is especially so if you have a wife, kids, or elderly parents.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 3:31 PM Post
wildcat2237 said:
I gotta think Zimmerman, Leake, Ross, and Desmond are just the tip of the iceberg on the "opt-out."

In fact, I would set the over-under at about 30 players.

If I had millions in the bank I would like think long and hard about whether or not to travel and interact with thousands of people, versus just sitting out one year. This is especially so if you have a wife, kids, or elderly parents.

I'll take the over. Once more players start publicly announcing they're not playing other will feel more comfortable making that decision. And the more players that opt not to play just add to the asterisk for whatever team wins this baseball tournament.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 4:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
wildcat2237 said:

Zimms is on his last legs, Desmond has posted -3.2 WAR the last three years, Joe Ross has an ERA+ of 87 & 0.7 WAR the last three years. None of them will be missed by anyone.

Leake is probably the only one who projected for any value in 2020 & even that is as a nondescript innings eater, which is much less valuable in a 60 game (if we even make it that far) season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 6:57 PM Post
The vast majority of players are still going to play, #1 because they still want to be paid, #2 because of the accepted responsibility to their teammates. 30 seems like the high end to me, but even if that happens that's only one player per organization on average, almost all of which aren't going to be big time players who were even guaranteed roster spots anyway.

The players dug in their heels for full prorated salaries and they got them. They are not giving them back out of "an abundance of caution."

It took a lot just to get to this point, the only way they are canceling the season now will be a situation where the pandemic gets out of control again to the point where stay-at-home orders are nationally enacted again and Manfred is just left with no choice.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 7:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
As I understand it, if you opt-out you lose a year of salary and a year of service time. I don't think anyone in their prime is gonna want to lose that year of service time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply