LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 30, 2020, 7:40 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross deciding today not to play in 2020. Should be noted zims mom has ms and is high risk, so he likely would not be able to see her during the season.

The Cubs would be taking a huge hit if Anthony Rizzo and Jon Lester choose not to report. Being cancer survivors puts both at a much higher risk.

How long have they been cancer free/in remission?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 7:58 PM Post
wildcat2237 said:
I gotta think Zimmerman, Leake, Ross, and Desmond are just the tip of the iceberg on the "opt-out."

In fact, I would set the over-under at about 30 players.

If I had millions in the bank I would like think long and hard about whether or not to travel and interact with thousands of people, versus just sitting out one year. This is especially so if you have a wife, kids, or elderly parents.

It's very likely COVID will an issue for 2021 as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2020, 7:35 PM Post
Players are dropping like flies... It appears either they came to camp with the virus, or are spreading it to each other like wildfire.

We think they are going to play in 3 weeks?

I won't be surprised in the least if after all this huhub, MLB just shuts it down until next year.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2020, 7:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
David Price opts out of playing this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2020, 8:17 PM Post
That is what,5 guys who opted out so far? And what, 38 out of 3185 total MLB personnel who came up positive?

Those are hardly shocking numbers on either count. It's everywhere. If you don't have it, you've probably got a neighbor with it.

Things can change but so far I think everything in the restart is pretty much as expected and I don't see any signs they aren't going forward with it right now.

Remember, there are still several billion dollars at stake here and that means more to most of these guys than a few dozen asymptomatic COVID-19 positives.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2020, 10:10 PM Post
adambr2 said:
That is what,5 guys who opted out so far? And what, 38 out of 3185 total MLB personnel who came up positive?

Those are hardly shocking numbers on either count. It's everywhere. If you don't have it, you've probably got a neighbor with it.

Things can change but so far I think everything in the restart is pretty much as expected and I don't see any signs they aren't going forward with it right now.

Remember, there are still several billion dollars at stake here and that means more to most of these guys than a few dozen asymptomatic COVID-19 positives.

Yep. Next man up. Play ball!

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 04, 2020, 10:51 PM Post
adambr2 said:

Yeah, it's actually a pretty small number. I think it was in Orlando that ~33 pct of all people who came to the Hospital for non-covid related reasons(car accidents, etc...) tested positive without knowing it.

So the impact on MLB is extremely small.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 6:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
All cases are not equal. Star players sitting out or getting sick mean more than guys we've never heard of.

Freddie Freeman
DJ Lemahieu
Tommy Pham
David Price
Aaron Nola
Will Smith
Miguel Sano
Salvador Perez

That's a significant impact, and they're just getting started.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 7:10 AM Post
JimH5 said:
All cases are not equal. Star players sitting out or getting sick mean more than guys we've never heard of.

Freddie Freeman
DJ Lemahieu
Tommy Pham
David Price
Aaron Nola
Will Smith
Miguel Sano
Salvador Perez

Were people really not expecting to have star players test positive and miss time? They’ll self-quarantine for two weeks or whatever and hopefully get back out there. It’s not as if star players didn’t get hurt during normal seasons and get replaced with “guys we’ve never heard of” before.

Yeah, it is a short season and that could have a larger impact but at the same time - it is baseball and “guys we’ve never heard of” have had hot starts or a surprise half season.

This season is going to be different, but we’ll (hopefully) have baseball.

Last edited by areacodes on July 05, 2020, 7:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 7:22 AM Post
JimH5 said:

Freddie Freeman
DJ Lemahieu
Tommy Pham
David Price
Aaron Nola
Will Smith
Miguel Sano
Salvador Perez

Stars sit out significant portions of the season every year due to injury. This particular reason is nothing more than a brain injury.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 7:25 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:

Yeah, it's actually a pretty small number. I think it was in Orlando that ~33 pct of all people who came to the Hospital for non-covid related reasons(car accidents, etc...) tested positive without knowing it.

So the impact on MLB is extremely small.

If what you say about Orlando is true, that makes me question how legitimate the testing process is more than anything. Or on the other hand it could explain why there aren't many new cases in New York these days because almost everyone would've had it by now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
JimH5 said:

Freddie Freeman
DJ Lemahieu
Tommy Pham
David Price
Aaron Nola
Will Smith
Miguel Sano
Salvador Perez

Stars sit out significant portions of the season every year due to injury. This particular reason is nothing more than a brain injury.

The guys who've tested positive will all be fine by opening day. With the protocols in place, it's likely they are less likely to be infected than if they were out doing their thing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 8:08 AM Post
JimH5 said:

Freddie Freeman
DJ Lemahieu
Tommy Pham
David Price
Aaron Nola
Will Smith
Miguel Sano
Salvador Perez

As Somewhere stated, this is no different than guys going on the IL like we see all the time. We missed our star player for our September playoff run last year and our best starting pitcher for the bulk of the second half last year. Injuries and illnesses happen to star players and non-star players alike, COVID or no COVID.

Every name you mentioned with the exception of Price who has opted out will almost certainly be recovered and active for the season by the time it rolls around and others who test positive will go on the IL like any other sick or injured player.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 10:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
SomewhereInTime said:
JimH5 said:

Freddie Freeman
DJ Lemahieu
Tommy Pham
David Price
Aaron Nola
Will Smith
Miguel Sano
Salvador Perez

The guys who've tested positive will all be fine by opening day. With the protocols in place, it's likely they are less likely to be infected than if they were out doing their thing.

You don't know if they're going to be fine or not. Nobody does.

My post was in response to HiAndTight's suggestion that the impact on MLB will be minimal.

Every possibility for injury and illness that existed in 2019 exists this year, too. And less than a week into the spring training reboot, there have already been 8+ star players lost to the virus.

It could turn out fine, but to insist that it will is just wishful thinking.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 3:59 PM Post
JimH5 said:

My post was in response to HiAndTight's suggestion that the impact on MLB will be minimal.

Every possibility for injury and illness that existed in 2019 exists this year, too. And less than a week into the spring training reboot, there have already been 8+ star players lost to the virus.

Who are these 8+ "star" players? Freddie Freeman and who? And they are not "lost" to the virus, that is a misleading choice of word to assign to players who will more likely than not be playing on opening day. Numerous ones are already nearing end of their quarantine. Most are completely asymptomatic. I've yet to hear of one with more than mild symptoms.

The estimated IFR (chance of dying if you get infected with COVID-19), is .0092% for the 20-49 age group. https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/co ... race-14863

Obviously, baseball players skew more toward the lower end of that age group. Now consider this is just the "average" without factoring in fitness and underlying conditions.

So you've got guys in an already significantly low risk age group who are in significantly better shape than most guys in that age group, and who have access to world class health care.

We don't "know" that these guys will be fine, but there's a lot of things we can say that about. The raw statistics say it's incredibly likely that they'll be fine.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 7:04 PM Post
JimH5 said:

I didn't say or suggest what the impact would be on MLB moving forward at all. I looked at the actual numbers of what it is right NOW and made a statement based on those numbers. There was no guessing or speculation or predicting the future. Just a statement based on the low number that has tested positive thus far.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 7:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
HiAndTight said:
JimH5 said:

I didn't say or suggest what the impact would be on MLB moving forward at all. I looked at the actual numbers of what it is right NOW and made a statement based on those numbers. There was no guessing or speculation or predicting the future. Just a statement based on the low number that has tested positive thus far.

Got it.

And my response was to say that a low number of players is one thing, but even if the overall count is low, what matters is what happens with star players. A 7th reliever isn't the same as an MVP or Cy Young candidate. And some valuable players have been affected this week...not including Mike Trout, who remains noncommittal about playing this season.

So just a week into this, there are some key guys either with the virus, sitting out because of it, or not yet sure that they're all in on the season. That's what I was getting at.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 8:55 PM Post
Maybe I'm missing some games but I see Freddie Freeman and DJ LeMahieu as stars who have tested positive. All the other names I've seen are just mostly guys and that seems to be relatively in line with an expected ration. Not even sure what current relevance it has as all these guys are very likely to clear protocol by opening day.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2020, 9:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Maybe I'm missing some games but I see Freddie Freeman and DJ LeMahieu as stars who have tested positive. All the other names I've seen are just mostly guys and that seems to be relatively in line with an expected ration. Not even sure what current relevance it has as all these guys are very likely to clear protocol by opening day.

Aaron Nola is a top of the rotation starter, Tommy Pham is a 20/20 outfielder who's good for 3+ WAR, Will Smith was the most coveted reliever in the offseason, Sal Perez is a 5-time Gold Glove franchise player, Miguel Sano hit 34 HR last year, David Price is a former Cy Young Award winner who was expected to be a mainstay in the rotation of one of the best teams in the game.

We can split hairs on whether these guys are worthy enough to join Lemahieu and Freeman in your eyes. But put them all together and you'd have a pretty good core around which to build a team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 9:02 AM Post
Sports fans primarily root for the laundry of their favorite team as players come and go frequently (especially baseball). I don't think anyone is going to equate a 60 game season in the middle of a pandemic as being the same as a 162 game season in years past. This season is primarily as entertainment for people who have been sitting at home for months without several of the usual entertainment options. In that context, who really cares if the players who test positive are "stars" or not?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply