LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: July 06, 2020, 9:51 AM Post

GIF Master
Nick Markakis opting out. Now we need five more non-stars to opt-out to equal that one star. Or is the conversion rate 6:1? I haven't been keeping up on the math.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 10:39 AM Post
Angel Perdomo tested positive for COVID-19.
The diagnosis came back during intake testing. Perdomo is asymptomatic, but he's going to have to self-quarantine for the time being and will require two negative tests before joining his teammates. The 25-year-old southpaw was added to the 40-man roster during the offseason after putting up a 4.28 ERA and 107/46 K/BB ratio over 69 1/3 innings in Triple-A last year.
Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 9:48 AM ET

Luis Urias has tested positive for COVID-19.
Urias' teammate left-hander Angel Perdomo has also tested positive. Brewers manager Craig Counsell made the announcement Monday morning with the players' consent. The good news is that both players aren't displaying symptoms, but they are in the protocol at this point. They'll need to have two negative tests before joining their teammates. Back in March, Urias was projected to miss the start of the season due to a fractured left hamate bone. He's had plenty of time to recover from that, so now the question is how quickly he can get back up to speed after his positive diagnosis.
Related: Angel Perdomo
Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 8:56 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 10:40 AM Post
Aaron Nola (illness) has reported to Phillies' summer camp.
In fact, Matt Gelb of The Athletic reports that he's throwing a bullpen session. Nola was away from the team for the start of camp due to concerns over COVID-19. It's unclear whether he tested positive or came into contact who had it. Either way, he's been cleared to participate, which is a sigh of relief.
Source: Matt Breen on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 11:43 AM ET

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 11:23 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
At this point I'm so desperate for baseball that they could play all minor leaguers and call it the "COVID Fun Tournament sponsored by Rob Manfred" and I would still watch it.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: July 06, 2020, 1:31 PM Post
I would think that the biggest impact of the current COVID-19 positive players is that they'll lose this spring training time to ramp up for the regular season.

Serious question, is it likely that these guys are working out on their own while on quarantine? I would think if you're totally asymptomatic and feeling good as a professional ballplayer, you're not just going to be laying in bed for 2 weeks. But I would assume you would need your own designated workout room and equipment.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 2:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
I would think that the biggest impact of the current COVID-19 positive players is that they'll lose this spring training time to ramp up for the regular season.

Agreed. It's smart that they keep them away from everyone else so they don't get more people sick, but anyone who is sick now and is not being hospitalized (which should be the case for most MLB-aged people) should easily be ready to go for opening day.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 3:07 PM Post
Joey Gallo confirmed Monday that he tested positive for COVID-19.
The good news is that Gallo is asymptomatic and feeling good. However, he needs to get two negative tests before joining the Rangers. His initial positive came on June 29 after a test two days earlier. A subsequent nasal test came back negative, but then a saliva test from July 2 came back positive yesterday. This is one of the frustrating parts of testing in general, but Gallo is forced to wait for the time being. If all goes well, there's still a chance he could be ready for the start of the season.
Source: Evan Grant on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 1:55 PM ET

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 06, 2020, 4:17 PM Post
turborickey said:
The good news is that Gallo is asymptomatic and feeling good. However, he needs to get two negative tests before joining the Rangers. His initial positive came on June 29 after a test two days earlier. A subsequent nasal test came back negative, but then a saliva test from July 2 came back positive yesterday. This is one of the frustrating parts of testing in general, but Gallo is forced to wait for the time being. If all goes well, there's still a chance he could be ready for the start of the season.

Pretty sure this means asymptomatic Gallo is counting as 2 confirmed COVID 19 cases in TX or wherever he's currently living (Vegas??).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2020, 4:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
Michael Kopech opts out.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2020, 6:54 PM Post
homer said:
Michael Kopech opts out.

Is this the first non-veteran to opt out? Its unusual for a young player to opt out of a salary and service time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2020, 6:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
Buster Posey also opts out

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2020, 9:40 PM Post
turborickey said:

I wonder when we'll get to the point where we start to question the validity of these tests. I find it hard to believe someone who has no symptoms, tests positive and then negative, actually has Covid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 9:10 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
turborickey said:

I wonder when we'll get to the point where we start to question the validity of these tests. I find it hard to believe someone who has no symptoms, tests positive and then negative, actually has Covid.

Just seems like the vast majority of healthy young people react very differently to it. There's certainly COVID19 in kids but not sure I've even heard of a kid with symptoms, and I KNOW the media would love for that to happen to breathlessly report on it. Really a virus that attacks older people with severe health issues. Didn't mean for this to be political. Can't believe a few sentences about a virus can even be thought of as political these days haha. Sighhhh.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
Everything about this virus should be questioned, absolutely everything.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 10:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
SomewhereInTime said:
turborickey said:

No one disputes the fact that there are false-positive results from time to time. That's why you quarantine and re-test.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 11:29 AM Post
MoreTrife said:
Just seems like the vast majority of healthy young people react very differently to it. There's certainly COVID19 in kids but not sure I've even heard of a kid with symptoms, and I KNOW the media would love for that to happen to breathlessly report on it.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavi ... 64887.html
https://www.wyff4.com/article/first-chi ... /33284245#
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/lau ... t/2260990/

While not nearly as common as older people, kids and young people have been dying as well (I'm presuming in the articles that don't specifically state symptoms that there's a reasonable assumption they had some before death).

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: July 12, 2020, 11:36 AM Post
10 opt outs so far.

While it's not over yet, I would expect the total now to be well under the 30 over/under given earlier in this thread. So far, the biggest names are Price and Posey, who, let's be honest, are much bigger names of 5 years ago then they are right now.

For the most part, these guys want to play. There will probably be a few more opt outs but I would guess only 11 days out the vast majority of the minds are made up by now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 1:00 PM Post
MrAllen said:
MoreTrife said:
Just seems like the vast majority of healthy young people react very differently to it. There's certainly COVID19 in kids but not sure I've even heard of a kid with symptoms, and I KNOW the media would love for that to happen to breathlessly report on it.

While not nearly as common as older people, kids and young people have been dying as well (I'm presuming in the articles that don't specifically state symptoms that there's a reasonable assumption they had some before death).

I did qualify my statement with "healthy". The Miami story the kids have pretty severe cormidities. The other two links are silent on pre existing but I'd guess there were. They were also silent as to experiencing symptoms.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 6:01 PM Post
It's fairly well documented that the death rates are quite low (by comparison to older individuals) for younger people. The various identified risk factors though get to a pretty big percentage of the overall population though. Obesity/overweight by itself already gets you to 20% in teenagers for example. The various other factors push that quite a bit higher. It becomes a large number issue, the relative risk is lower, but when you start to get into the millions being infected you will still rack up a pretty unexciting body count.
Here is another one that was young enough she could have been a student of mine.
https://www.twincities.com/2020/06/07/s ... -covid-19/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 12, 2020, 7:22 PM Post
MoreTrife said:
MrAllen said:
MoreTrife said:

I did qualify my statement with "healthy". The Miami story the kids have pretty severe cormidities. The other two links are silent on pre existing but I'd guess there were. They were also silent as to experiencing symptoms.

You also said there would be breathless media coverage. Where is that?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply