LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: July 12, 2020, 8:14 PM Post
In the third link provided, the ages of the deaths are 23 and 20 and morbidly obese. It was news because they were siblings, but they weren't children.

I don't think there is any "seems like" as far as kids not reacting as severely to COVID19, they pretty obviously do not. In the 26k+ cases under age 18, 6k of which under under 5, in California, there are 0 (confirmed) deaths.

As far as where the breathless media coverage is, I'd say it's pretty much there. Youth deaths are individuals that get big headlines, which is "good." If that's the case it's still very rare.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2020, 10:12 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
In the third link provided, the ages of the deaths are 23 and 20 and morbidly obese. It was news because they were siblings, but they weren't children.

I don't think there is any "seems like" as far as kids not reacting as severely to COVID19, they pretty obviously do not. In the 26k+ cases under age 18, 6k of which under under 5, in California, there are 0 (confirmed) deaths.

As far as where the breathless media coverage is, I'd say it's pretty much there. Youth deaths are individuals that get big headlines, which is "good." If that's the case it's still very rare.

https://www.theonion.com/teen-who-died- ... 1844325600

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2020, 11:48 AM Post
As COVID relates to kids, I'm a parent of 3 and 1 has had pneumonia before and one had a bad case of seasonal flu early this year. It's a scary thing because you know it "can" kill even though it usually doesn't and you love your kids so obviously you worry.

Keep in mind that the statistics that Snapper pointed out for California is only confirmed cases and obviously excludes those who were never symptomatic and tested.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... Group.aspx

So while I'd be concerned as a parent if my children were diagnosed with COVID-19, that is the same concern I'd have with any other ailment and I have yet to see any scientific or statistical evidence that it is any more dangerous to minors than any other ailment they can get.

Obviously there are tragic exceptions to every trend. And I certainly understand that the bigger concern is the spread that children these ages are likely to cause when put all together.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2020, 1:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jordan Hicks, Cardinals closer, has opted out, citing a health condition. He has Type 1 diabetes.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 3:03 PM Post
"Brewers ace Brandon Woodruff had to remind himself during an extended outing the other day to retrieve his rosin bag behind the mound after each of his innings. Catchers have caught themselves throwing down to third base after a strikeout, and first baseman Logan Morrison has sometimes been unable to deny the habit of throwing the baseball around the infield after a groundout."

I'm honestly curious about the safety protocol involving throwing to third after a strikeout and around the horn on a ground out...what am I missing?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 3:12 PM Post
Fewer bare hands needlessly on the ball, one of those silly things they're doing for "safety."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 3:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
Maybe everyone needs wipes to clean the ball each time they field it and before they throw it? Or everyone can just wear gloves on their throwing hand... [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 3:38 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Maybe everyone needs wipes to clean the ball each time they field it and before they throw it? Or everyone can just wear gloves on their throwing hand... [wink]

This was tossed around in our athletics meeting to be able to have our high school contact days for baseball.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 4:39 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
The Mariners have improved the Brewers' cardboard cutout idea:

Introducing the launch of the Mariners Seat Fleet! For just $30, you can purchase a recycle-friendly version of yourself that will sit in on all of the game action at T-Mobile Park this season while you're safe at home. Plus, the Mariners will donate a portion of every purchase to non-profit organizations supporting COVID-related relief efforts in our communities. What's more? If your cutout "catches" a foul ball during a game, we'll mail you the baseball!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 7:09 PM Post
I'll put a full-body cutout of Attanasio in my patio window if he sends me $100.*

* = JosephC reserves the right to move/remove the Attanasio cut-out at his own sole discretion for any reason or no reason at any time without notice or liability to Attanasio.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2020, 8:21 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Maybe everyone needs wipes to clean the ball each time they field it and before they throw it? [wink]

Some summer leagues in the state are wiping the game balls with disinfectant every time it leaves the field.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 18, 2020, 1:33 PM Post
No games in Toronto this year.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: July 18, 2020, 2:15 PM Post
owbc said:
The Mariners have improved the Brewers' cardboard cutout idea:

Introducing the launch of the Mariners Seat Fleet! For just $30, you can purchase a recycle-friendly version of yourself that will sit in on all of the game action at T-Mobile Park this season while you're safe at home. Plus, the Mariners will donate a portion of every purchase to non-profit organizations supporting COVID-related relief efforts in our communities. What's more? If your cutout "catches" a foul ball during a game, we'll mail you the baseball!

The whole idea went kaput for me as soon as the Guess Who comparison was made, and now I can't think of anything else when I see them.

nate82 said:
No games in Toronto this year.

The Buffalo Blue Jays. [ohwell]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2020, 7:36 AM Post
folly412 said:

Or, it looks like the Pittsburgh Blue Jays. [ho hum]

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/295 ... pittsburgh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2020, 1:50 PM Post
folly412 said:
folly412 said:

Or, it looks like the Pittsburgh Blue Jays. [ho hum]

Never mind.

Baltimore Blue Jays?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2020, 2:55 PM Post
Why can't they play in Nashville? The Sounds ownership really wants baseball there this summer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2020, 6:57 PM Post

Roster Guru
jerichoholicninja said:
Why can't they play in Nashville? The Sounds ownership really wants baseball there this summer.

no minor league stadium currently meets major league standards with regards to lights and/or clubhouse space.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 24, 2020, 10:26 AM Post

Roster Guru
they're the buffalo blue jays. done deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 24, 2020, 11:37 AM Post
I think it was fitting that the first real game of the season was shortened due to rain last night.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 24, 2020, 3:01 PM Post
young guns said:
I think it was fitting that the first real game of the season was shortened due to rain last night.

But still was the most-watched MLB regular season game in 9 years.

https://twitter.com/jimmytraina/status/ ... 58849?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply