LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 299 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 21, 2020, 8:47 PM Post
2018 and 2019 seasons are available for free on mlb.com

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 22, 2020, 1:19 PM Post
I don’t think there’ll be fans in stadiums this season, based on what scientists are saying about how long this might last.

We’ll see if MLB chooses to play without fans. I’d think the TV ratings would be very high, with everyone stuck at home.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 22, 2020, 7:11 PM Post
The NBA could finish with no fans in any games and I'd be perfectly fine with that. The TV ratings would kill at this point.

Baseball with no fans is harder to wrap my head around. Baseball fans seemed just intertwined in the experience of the baseball season where it's hard to imagine a fan free season. I think I'd still rather have it than no baseball at all, but it's tough to imagine.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 22, 2020, 9:21 PM Post
adambr2 said:
The NBA could finish with no fans in any games and I'd be perfectly fine with that. The TV ratings would kill at this point.

Baseball with no fans is harder to wrap my head around. Baseball fans seemed just intertwined in the experience of the baseball season where it's hard to imagine a fan free season. I think I'd still rather have it than no baseball at all, but it's tough to imagine.

Virtual fans? Big screens with fans cheering/eating peanuts/etc? Crazy. But never thought we’d discuss games with no fans either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 22, 2020, 10:38 PM Post
adambr2 said:

I think we could see this quicker than people anticipate. I'd imagine that Golf will be the first sport to restart though. No contact, no teams, no "league"--literally just an association of solitary independent contractors playing outside in huge areas. Nobody is forced to play. And it will get huge ratings.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2020, 8:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would love to see an mlb game with no fans. Keep the camera focused on the players and their interactions instead of all the shots of fans between pitches. Audio is where the game would suffer. I don't think a 420 ft moonshot in the 8th will have the same weight without the roar of the crowd (or the sudden groan/silence). Hearing the players audio would make it very interesting. How much yelling comes from the dugouts, chatter between the plate and mound, etc.

The WWE is going on without fans right now. Some bits are still entertaining despite the lack of a crowd. Other bits are painful and embarrassing. Golf, Nascar, and the NFL would be the sports with little difference of no fans.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2020, 11:11 AM Post
I want to see MLB fans on webex or zoom sessions

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2020, 5:55 PM Post
I can just picture it now:

"Listen to the roar of the fans as the indians take the field."

---Harry Doyle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOpY4GkVVP0

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2020, 2:34 PM Post

GIF Master
All the games should broadcast for free in VR.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 24, 2020, 4:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
Shelter-in-place until April 24th. Assuming another month spring training, we are probably looking at absolute best case scenario where nothing else possibly goes wrong of starting baseball by June 1st. And I honestly don't see that coming even close to happening. I think we are looking at a very realistic scenario where a 60 Game season might be the best we can get

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2020, 7:15 PM Post
It's only a matter of time before there is an esports (what a horrible name) tournament with major leaguers simulating the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2020, 7:40 PM Post
igor67 said:
It's only a matter of time before there is an esports (what a horrible name) tournament with major leaguers simulating the season.

It's very likely that I will be buying the new version of Out of the Park Baseball. If people are interested, I could set up a season sim and just sim one game on the same date as the actual game was to be played and post the results on this board.

I'm like most people, I just don't see any meaningful baseball happening over the next three months.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 24, 2020, 7:45 PM Post
igor67 said:

Would you prefer "digital athletics"? [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 8:08 AM Post
Scott Boras Plan:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scott-boras- ... 39356.html

Basically calls for a neutral site postseason. I am not entirely sure if MLB would go for something like this, I just have a hard time seeing them go with a neutral site postseason. THAT being said it does buy another month of time to get going. Outside of maybe Colorado snow won't be a huge concern in November. Temps may be chilly at times, but not much different from April. Again, I don't see it...but it isn't totally crazy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 8:15 AM Post
The Brewers making the World Series and then having it in Miami or some place where the vast majority of lifelong ticketholders can't go would be the lamest thing imaginable. I'm probably in the minority but doing that paired with 60-game season or something would be the biggest asterisk possible for me. I'd rather win it normally and get busted with dugout cameras lol.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 8:19 AM Post
Article on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/289 ... art-season

Some interesting quotes:

Multiple players told ESPN they are willing to play a significant number of doubleheaders -- as many as two a week -- to make up for lost games and try to get as close to a full 162-game schedule as possible.

While the sides have discussed myriad options for a potential season, both agree that if necessary, regular-season games could stretch into October and playoff games could be played at neutral sites in November, either in warm-weather cities or, if government officials allow indoor events, domed stadiums, according to sources.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 8:28 AM Post
I don't see any reason for neutral sites in November, that would be incredibly dumb and shortsighted. What city would even be an issue? The Twins would be the only one that could create some really cold baseball temps and even snow. Milwaukee is indoors, Chicago would have workable temps in all likelihood, and the NE is fairly mild for November. Colorado is fairly mild for November too I do believe. Snow would be very unlikely to be an issue anywhere.

Just leave it as is. Odds are half the teams or more are in the south anyway.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 9:15 AM Post
In November 2018 there was one snowstorm that dumped 6.4 inches in New York City. Chicago got 12.7 inches of snow in November of 2018. They likely see snow as being a risk in the northern markets that they care about, and don't want to have to mess with the schedule due to cancellations.

There is also the chance that a Yankee's starter might hurt himself because he couldn't properly get loose in 40 degree weather, which as we all know, could very well bring an end to the entire baseball universe.

It could also prove to be a crowning achievement for MLB. If games were moved to Miami, for the first time in a long time people might actually go to the stadium to watch a baseball game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
Neutral site postseason games would not be an achievement...it would be an embarrassment.

Chicago average November snowfall: 1.2 inches
New York City average November snowfall: .12 inches

This is suppose to scare off games even though Denver sees an average of 2.37 inches in October. If the world would keeps spinning for October baseball for Denver in a normal year I think we can figure this out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2020, 10:32 AM Post
If they really want to cram games in, I'd love to see 7-inning games. They're too long as it is and it's the best excuse to possible to see how it goes.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 299 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply