LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 299 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Author Message
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 11:12 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2370
OldSchoolSnapper said:
If they really want to cram games in, I'd love to see 7-inning games. They're too long as it is and it's the best excuse to possible to see how it goes.


Yes! Turn all day games into double headers. Start every currently scheduled day game 1 hour earlier, shorten it to 7 innings, then immediately play another 7 inning game right after it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 11:16 AM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6361
Oxy said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
If they really want to cram games in, I'd love to see 7-inning games. They're too long as it is and it's the best excuse to possible to see how it goes.


Yes! Turn all day games into double headers. Start every currently scheduled day game 1 hour earlier, shorten it to 7 innings, then immediately play another 7 inning game right after it.


Love it. I think they will need rules to keep extra innings short. Start extra innings with the bases loaded or something exciting like that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 2:09 PM Post
Posts: 1293
Oxy said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
If they really want to cram games in, I'd love to see 7-inning games. They're too long as it is and it's the best excuse to possible to see how it goes.


Yes! Turn all day games into double headers. Start every currently scheduled day game 1 hour earlier, shorten it to 7 innings, then immediately play another 7 inning game right after it.


I'm not a huge fan of 7-inning games generally, though having them as part of DHers is interesting. I think they do that quite a bit in small college baseball? And since you're playing back-to-back and doing it regularly, you might not be increasing innings pitched by lights out relievers (and thus decreasing balls in play) by that much.

I think my take is this: If double-headers (say one a week) get you to 130 games, I'm okay with just normal baseball rules. 130 games is close enough where I don't think you need to be messing around too much. Fewer than that, and I think it starts to get to a point where you either just play it straight (120 games under normal scheduling procedures) or try to get closer to the number of innings than the number of games.

We talk a lot about rest, but maybe the idea I'm most interested in is the one about like two DHers a week. Expand rosters and let's just gorge on baseball. Forget guys sitting around all day. Let's play two! If the union is up for it (and the increased injury risk it almost certainly creates), then I'm all for it. Would be fun, and baseball is supposed to be fun.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 2:40 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5530
I always thought this was a much longer term perspective, but I don't think 9-inning baseball is forever anyway. The games are just too long for how people want to watch things these days. That problem is only going to be worse for baseball in 30 years. I'm not suggesting it would replace the games in 2021 but it seems like a great opportunity for a trial run if they want to cram in a whole bunch of games.

I would personally really like 7-inning games and potential MLB games that are 2-2.5 hours regularly. I'd watch a lot more baseball. I realize that would be incredibly polarizing but way, way down the road I've thought for a while that's where they will end up anyway.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 3:29 PM Post
Posts: 749
MrTPlush said:
I don't see any reason for neutral sites in November, that would be incredibly dumb and shortsighted. What city would even be an issue? The Twins would be the only one that could create some really cold baseball temps and even snow. Milwaukee is indoors, Chicago would have workable temps in all likelihood, and the NE is fairly mild for November. Colorado is fairly mild for November too I do believe. Snow would be very unlikely to be an issue anywhere.

Just leave it as is. Odds are half the teams or more are in the south anyway.


Have you ever been in Chicago in November? With the wind blowing it's COLD. Colorado gets in the 20's at night in November. Daytime average is in the mid 40's. Snow is always possible in November in Denver. Conditions would more likely than not, be near brutal.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 3:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5530
It could be done, the players would be fine, but the fans would be miserable. People watch football in much worse, but I basically agree that it would not be enjoyable and not very baseball-y. I agree thought that the effect may be overstated. A bunch of teams are either still warm in November or indoors.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 4:02 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7827
We are talking about Colorado and November like the Rockies have something more than a sliver of a chance of making it to the World Series.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 5:49 PM Post
Posts: 50
I don't think there will be 7 inning games. The baseball purists would argue against it. Not sure I disagree with them.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 6:01 PM Post
Posts: 20376
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I always thought this was a much longer term perspective, but I don't think 9-inning baseball is forever anyway. The games are just too long for how people want to watch things these days. That problem is only going to be worse for baseball in 30 years. I'm not suggesting it would replace the games in 2021 but it seems like a great opportunity for a trial run if they want to cram in a whole bunch of games.

I would personally really like 7-inning games and potential MLB games that are 2-2.5 hours regularly. I'd watch a lot more baseball. I realize that would be incredibly polarizing but way, way down the road I've thought for a while that's where they will end up anyway.


I think 7 is probably a little too dramatic, but I think going to 8 would be perfect. All this garbage they've been trying to do with pace of play that hasn't worked and they could just go to 8 inning games and shorten games and reduce wear and tear all in one fell swoop and just leave everything else as is.

I understand it's going to have dramatic effects on future records, but so what. So did going to 162 games. We moved on. You can't dictate all your future changes in the interest of protecting the record books.

I would also have no problem with just calling a game a tie after 10 innings (except in the postseason, obviously), which I'm sure would be equally controversial.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 6:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5530
Of course there won't be. Doesn't mean I can't want them. And sooner or later, thought more like ten years from now, baseball is going to have to address time of game in a significant manner. Not 3 batter minimums.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 6:11 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11811
I think you could maybe do home playoff games in November if you committed to day games. Night games? It would probably be below 40 if it got closer to the end of the month.

Boston, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Colorado, Minnesota, Pittsburgh would all be pretty chilly most likely.

Out of those the teams in New York, Chicago, Minnesota, and maybe Cleveland have playoff aspirations.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 6:41 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6904
JosephC said:
igor67 said:
It's only a matter of time before there is an esports (what a horrible name) tournament with major leaguers simulating the season.


It's very likely that I will be buying the new version of Out of the Park Baseball. If people are interested, I could set up a season sim and just sim one game on the same date as the actual game was to be played and post the results on this board.

I'm like most people, I just don't see any meaningful baseball happening over the next three months.

I like this idea and have been thinking something similar, lets setup a separate thread for simulated baseball results of the 2020 season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 6:52 PM Post
Posts: 13057
RoCoBrewfan said:
We are talking about Colorado and November like the Rockies have something more than a sliver of a chance of making it to the World Series.


Haha I forgot they are kind of irrelevant these days. Point is I think the slight risk of poor conditions (cold) is much worth it over neutral sites. Something 100% assured to be embarrassing for the league. The attendance alone would be sad and the lack of fans for each team would be even more embarrassing.

If you want to showcase how no one likes baseball and/or is boring then neutral sites is a great idea. The Cardinals had a hard time fully selling out HOME games last year in the NLDS and they have an almighty great fanbase. How is Miami going to sell out a fraction of their stadium for two teams no one cares about down there? $5 tickets?

I just have a hard time seeing that and to be honest I don’t want to.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 9:07 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11225
I would think that the prevailing thought that covid 19 might fade out for a bit and then resurface late next year that they wouldn't want to try to rely on baseball later into the season next year. I would keep the season the normal length and I would just start the season whenever it starts, don't worry about trying to balance the schedule . The season is already going to be heavily flawed, don't worry about one team getting screwed over more than another.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 25, 2020, 9:13 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11225
rondoman said:
Highly unlikely that any baseball will be played in 2020.

Be realistic.


90% it is played, 10% it isn't. We have seen how other countries have gone through this. The numbers have leveled out in Iran, they are leveling out in Italy. The earliest counties of NY, Washington St and California to get the virus are all on the decline. This is something that seems to pass in a matter of a few months and not longer given proper procedures. Something would have to really change to not have baseball played by the end of the all star break at this point. The process here is trying to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed, containment doesn't seem to be a big issue assuming you treat this virus with the respect it deserves. The bigger question is whether we will get to full crowds or not. We very well may be playing baseball in August with stadiums at 25% or 50% capacity for crowds. Large crowds are going to be a scary thing for quite some time. Small outbreaks can be tracked and isolated but big crowds can't be controlled.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 26, 2020, 7:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5530
Ennder said:
rondoman said:
Highly unlikely that any baseball will be played in 2020.

Be realistic.


90% it is played, 10% it isn't. We have seen how other countries have gone through this. The numbers have leveled out in Iran, they are leveling out in Italy. The earliest counties of NY, Washington St and California to get the virus are all on the decline. This is something that seems to pass in a matter of a few months and not longer given proper procedures. Something would have to really change to not have baseball played by the end of the all star break at this point. The process here is trying to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed, containment doesn't seem to be a big issue assuming you treat this virus with the respect it deserves. The bigger question is whether we will get to full crowds or not. We very well may be playing baseball in August with stadiums at 25% or 50% capacity for crowds. Large crowds are going to be a scary thing for quite some time. Small outbreaks can be tracked and isolated but big crowds can't be controlled.


I think that's unlikely. People simply will get exhausted of living like this. I actually have the opposite worry. The government jumps the gun a bit, and people rush right back out to everything. I think that even if the government extended the harshest warnings, you would see people bending the rules more the longer it went out. People eventually do get tired of living in fear. I expect some trepidation in some areas, like with air travel, but I think people will really want to get back to normal.

Of course, the economics of it all would also influence attendance.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 26, 2020, 7:42 PM Post
Posts: 13057
In the event of no season the likes of Mookie Betts and Co. will be free agents. Anyone with a full year last will accrue a year this year. It’s a tough loss for any team, but definitely is a gut punch to small markets with many young players where they will lose a year of them when they are so valuable.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:57 PM Post
Posts: 2137
MrTPlush said:
In the event of no season the likes of Mookie Betts and Co. will be free agents. Anyone with a full year last will accrue a year this year. It’s a tough loss for any team, but definitely is a gut punch to small markets with many young players where they will lose a year of them when they are so valuable.


Really? If no games are played, players still are getting all $ on contracts? Players are still accruing service time?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 26, 2020, 9:24 PM Post
Posts: 13057
rickh150 said:
MrTPlush said:
In the event of no season the likes of Mookie Betts and Co. will be free agents. Anyone with a full year last will accrue a year this year. It’s a tough loss for any team, but definitely is a gut punch to small markets with many young players where they will lose a year of them when they are so valuable.


Really? If no games are played, players still are getting all $ on contracts? Players are still accruing service time?


They are getting a portion assured. If games are played it is prorated. They will indeed accrue service time regardless. Players will also not be penalized by paltry counting stats of a shortened season. So that means a guy like Hader will still get a huge arby bump even if he only throws 20 innings.

Draft could be as low as 5 rounds this year, 2021 as low as 20 rounds.

There is a toooooooon that isn’t clear by what has been released. It isn’t clear how service time works if a shortened season happens and a player isn’t on the roster the entire time. Vesting options are still a mystery as are yearly bonuses based on counting stats.

There is a lot of conflicting information, but my understanding is in a lost season we may not lose a year of someone like Keston Hiura. We will, however, lose one of the last remaining cheap years of Yelich on the flip side. It’s messy to put it simply.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/na ... s-pandemic


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: March 27, 2020, 4:30 AM Post
Posts: 4843
The above posts, I just seen the MLBTR article on it. Pro-rated is our best hopes at the moment. If we get no season, everyone has their 2019 service time results for 2020. Double whammy on Hader's 1day Super 2 status. Trying to see this in the Brewers perspective, no matter what its all bad for their important players via pre Arb. I guess you would look at the pre Arb service time important players as Woodruff, Lauer, Burnes, Houser, Urias, and Hiura. No season would add a full yr to Woodruff, Lauer. 120days for Urias, 114days for Hiura. Close to full season for Houser. Seems played since game 24 last season Ill just say 157days. Burnes service time last year seems only short 37days of a full year so 135days. Its all nasically adding a year, small rewind.
If the season has any games played, if on the active roster or IL for the games played, its a full 172days added to their service time. Now where it gets interesting is if the player serves time not on active roster. The example was a 100day season and the player was only active for 50. That would mean half of a season being added to service time.
Burnes you could feasibly rewind his clock gaining a year control, but make him a Super 2. Urias maybe sits down long enough and Super 2 worries are completely removed. If you sent Lauer down long enough he could avoid Super 2 future.(40-50% of days) which seems extreme and unlikely. So all in all the Brewers likely lose a full year and gain nothing out of the shortened or lost season.
It will actually be quite a loss on shuttling pitchers if they have no service time on a shortened season. Say a Drew Rasmussen was only up for last 10days of 100day season he'd actually be credited with 17 or 18.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 299 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nodakfan17, TwinsBrewersWorldSeries, young guns and 8 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test