LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 586 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: May 18, 2020, 2:06 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I'll add my 2 cents on this. I really don't take that much issue with certain players stance. It's certainly one of those things where it's better to hold your opinion and keep your mouth shut than open your mouth and inevitably upset people.

Yes. When my wife asks me if I think her friend is pretty, I shrug and say "She's okay." I don't go on for 2 minutes about what a great body she has.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 4:39 AM Post
I generally side with the players but the concept of a bunch of 20 and 30 something pro athletes playing quarantined baseball "risking their health" is getting pretty liberal with "risk."

They're both blowing a tremendous opportunity for baseball so that the NFL can swoop in and be America's sweetheart once again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I generally side with the players but the concept of a bunch of 20 and 30 something pro athletes playing quarantined baseball "risking their health" is getting pretty liberal with "risk."

They're both blowing a tremendous opportunity for baseball so that the NFL can swoop in and be America's sweetheart once again.

Yep. Baseball could be a savior for a lot of people this summer. Can you imagine the pomp and circumstance having baseball on July 4 would bring, especially when most every other celebration across the country has already been or will probably be cancelled? It would truly be America's Game again.

I agree ... if baseball doesn't come back, it will be blamed on finances (even if health concerns play the bigger role), and the optics of it will look terrible. And you're never going to get a lot of those fans back.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 11:19 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
My interpretation is that almost all of the negotiations are pre-2021 CBA talk. The safety stuff is mostly being used as leverage. When the deadline for negotiating 2020 comes up they will punt all of that to next year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 4:12 PM Post
Leverage for 2021 or not there is no appealing to public opinion on this one. The general public will be fairly disgusted with both sides if they can't figure this out.

Baseball really can't afford another 1994 fallout. They are struggling to appeal to younger generations already as it is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 4:49 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Leverage for 2021 or not there is no appealing to public opinion on this one. The general public will be fairly disgusted with both sides if they can't figure this out.

Baseball really can't afford another 1994 fallout. They are struggling to appeal to younger generations already as it is.

Which is why this is so amazing to watch. A perfect opportunity was handed to them on a silver platter and they're going to let the NBA walk off with it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 5:25 PM Post
Yep. The MLB just can’t get out of their own way. Concerned what the future of the game will look like down the road. They can’t/won’t even market their best players unless they’re in pinstripes.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 8:51 PM Post
I think this just proves Rob Manfred really isn't a baseball fan

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2020, 8:42 AM Post
bacon06 said:

I don't know that it's fair to blame Manfred. He's just a mouthpiece for what the owners want. I highly doubt he gets impacted in any way based on how $ is split up. If you side with players, then the owners are the enemy...not Manfred.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2020, 10:52 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
It’s not easy to be the MLB commish...MLB fans have a tendency to push back hard against changes to the sport. Attempts to grow the fan base are often at odds with what the core group of fans wants. But there are some really obvious things that could be done to grow the sport over the long term and make fans happy and they are non-starters because they would hurt the short-term bottom line...e.g. ending blackouts. And the general obsession with profit above all means that nobody trusts Manfred to do the right thing for the sport. And the players rightfully do not trust anything coming from the owners for that reason. I still think they get a 2020 agreement but I worry about the next CBA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 9:18 AM Post
The whole MLB being some kind of summer savior for the country is kind of overblown. NASCAR is back last I checked, guessing Golf isn’t far off from starting, I saw the NHL wants to restart in July, and I bet the NBA would want to be back ASAP too.

If the MLB is starting up I imagine every other sports league would do the same if not soon after. MLB isn’t going to be the only sport on TV for months even if they owners/players shut up and agreed on something. The only thing they are doing is pissing off current fans, not missing out on some chance to make baseball the coolest thing in the country again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 9:58 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
The whole MLB being some kind of summer savior for the country is kind of overblown. NASCAR is back last I checked, guessing Golf isn’t far off from starting, I saw the NHL wants to restart in July, and I bet the NBA would want to be back ASAP too.

If the MLB is starting up I imagine every other sports league would do the same if not soon after. MLB isn’t going to be the only sport on TV for months even if they owners/players shut up and agreed on something. The only thing they are doing is pissing off current fans, not missing out on some chance to make baseball the coolest thing in the country again.

Real Heroes 400 was up 38% on TV from the last race. It was a three-year high for their TV broadcasts outside of Daytona...

You're pretty much making a straw man. This is less about MLB being a summer hero than it is about a sport that's already struggling, choosing not to take advantage of a tremendous opportunity.

Pissing off their current fans should be a huge concern to them. That's not some minor detail, they can't afford to lose them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 9:58 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

That and most parts of the country are or will open over the next few weeks. After being locked up for months I doubt many non-hardcore baseball fans are now going to sit in the house for 3 hours and watch a baseball game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 10:01 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
MrTPlush said:

Real Heroes 400 was up 38% on TV from the last race. It was a three-year high for their TV broadcasts outside of Daytona...

I don't know if NASCAR's ratings could get any lower. It's amazing to me how NASCAR exploded for a few years in the late 90's/early 2000 and then just as quickly crashed back to earth.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
That kind of stopped last year, actually. They didn't really lose any ratings from 2018 to 2019, but F1 is really making them sweat and it's not hard to see why. The televised product blows NASCAR away IMO. But the ratings bump they got last week is pretty strong indicator that there is still quite a shortage of entertainment for most people.

Stuff opening up isn't really solving that issue that quickly. There are a bunch of people still choosing not to go anywhere and a bunch of people with no money.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 11:09 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
MrTPlush said:

You're pretty much making a straw man. This is less about MLB being a summer hero than it is about a sport that's already struggling, choosing not to take advantage of a tremendous opportunity.

Pissing off their current fans should be a huge concern to them. That's not some minor detail, they can't afford to lose them.

Well right...NASCAR is basically the only “sport” right now...so it is seeing a huge ratings jump. That won’t be the same for baseball if it starts up in July. Every other sport will be too. NHL and NBA would be starting up with playoffs right away or very soon after they start up. I think NHL plans on immediate playoffs of some sort.

I’m just saying I’m not sure it is really a tremendous opportunity. Any increased interest is likely short lived, much like drive ins are seeing. Once things open up or next year all those people watching during quarantine won’t care. I just don’t think there is all that much to gain...something to lose? Maybe.

Even NASCAR, you think people suddenly watch it during quarantine and a notable amount actually stick to it once things normalize? I really doubt that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 11:23 AM Post
Baseball always has and always will start at capturing the youth. If you don’t catch them young and make a connection, they won’t care.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 2:06 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Baseball always has and always will start at capturing the youth. If you don’t catch them young and make a connection, they won’t care.

You sound like a tobacco executive.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 22, 2020, 5:32 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Brew4U said:

You sound like a tobacco executive.

[laughing] I missed my calling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2020, 7:19 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
bacon06 said:

I don't know that it's fair to blame Manfred. He's just a mouthpiece for what the owners want. I highly doubt he gets impacted in any way based on how $ is split up. If you side with players, then the owners are the enemy...not Manfred.

Leadership in a crisis is why the commissioner gets piles of money. Clearly Manfred hasn't been up to the task. The notion that players, none of whom have underlying medical conditions that put them at anything more than .000001% more risk than normal of dying from this virus or even being seriously ill, are able to use their "fear" as a negotiating tool is ridiculous. For heaven's sake, Nascar is putting them to shame as are every other major sport.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 586 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply