LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  [ 586 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: May 23, 2020, 7:25 AM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
bacon06 said:
I think this just proves Rob Manfred really isn't a baseball fan

I don't know that it's fair to blame Manfred. He's just a mouthpiece for what the owners want. I highly doubt he gets impacted in any way based on how $ is split up. If you side with players, then the owners are the enemy...not Manfred.

Leadership in a crisis is why the commissioner gets piles of money. Clearly Manfred hasn't been up to the task. The notion that players, none of whom have underlying medical conditions that put them at anything more than .000001% more risk than normal of dying from this virus or even being seriously ill, are able to use their "fear" as a negotiating tool is ridiculous. For heaven's sake, Nascar is putting them to shame as are every other major sport.

I'm 67 years old. I'm supposedly in the higher risk group. I'd have zero qualms about attending a game today in Miller Park provided the roof and panels were open, and the number of fans were limited to around 10,000 spread over the park. Heck I remember going to games in County Stadium late in Braves days and early Brewer days, where fans social distanced naturally.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2020, 9:04 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
KeithStone53151 said:
bacon06 said:
I think this just proves Rob Manfred really isn't a baseball fan

I don't know that it's fair to blame Manfred. He's just a mouthpiece for what the owners want. I highly doubt he gets impacted in any way based on how $ is split up. If you side with players, then the owners are the enemy...not Manfred.

Leadership in a crisis is why the commissioner gets piles of money. Clearly Manfred hasn't been up to the task. The notion that players, none of whom have underlying medical conditions that put them at anything more than .000001% more risk than normal of dying from this virus or even being seriously ill, are able to use their "fear" as a negotiating tool is ridiculous. For heaven's sake, Nascar is putting them to shame as are every other major sport.

I'm 67 years old. I'm supposedly in the higher risk group. I'd have zero qualms about attending a game today in Miller Park provided the roof and panels were open, and the number of fans were limited to around 10,000 spread over the park. Heck I remember going to games in County Stadium late in Braves days and early Brewer days, where fans social distanced naturally.

[REMOVED BY MODS] Yes the players have no reason to be scared, none of them have parents at home or wife's about to have babies, none of them have underlying conditions. Any player who is scared is an idiot and any commissioner that wants to see his players feel safe hates the game. This is just beyond silly. If the players can't be made to feel safe the season will not happen, a commissioner that wants the players to feel safe is a smart one, not one that isn't up to the task.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 23, 2020, 9:38 PM Post
Feel like reality is somewhere between those two posts. The commissioner needs the players to feel safe, whether the danger is real or perceived. The actual threat to the players is infinitesimally small. There are ways to play games without putting their ""high risk" friends and family in danger.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2020, 5:27 PM Post
Ennder said:
[REMOVED BY MODS] Yes the players have no reason to be scared, none of them have parents at home or wife's about to have babies

Can you please share the source that says pregnant women and newborns are at high risk for developing serious illness? It's not on the CDC's list:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/index.html

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 24, 2020, 10:38 PM Post
One thing I'm curious to know is what the overall 2020 deaths are relative to expected overall deaths (compared to 2018, 19, etc). Does anyone have the statistics on these? I think this can help put things in perspective of how much if at all that the COVID-19 pandemic has contributed to deaths in society. We know many people died with COVID-19, but how many died with it and how many died BECAUSE of it, if that makes sense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 25, 2020, 12:41 AM Post
adambr2 said:
One thing I'm curious to know is what the overall 2020 deaths are relative to expected overall deaths (compared to 2018, 19, etc). Does anyone have the statistics on these? I think this can help put things in perspective of how much if at all that the COVID-19 pandemic has contributed to deaths in society. We know many people died with COVID-19, but how many died with it and how many died BECAUSE of it, if that makes sense.

Gun related deaths in the USA last year were 15,300 - 38,800 deaths related to auto accidents - about 34,000 died of the flu in 2019. It's estimated about 2.6 million people die each year from all causes. Roughly 215,00 per month. A large portion is age related.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  [ 586 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply