LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 18, 2020, 7:00 PM Post
SRB said:
Sort of a bad look for fans to ever criticize the players for not putting themselves at risk during a global pandemic solely for our entertainment. We should be grateful they are negotiating at all.

Most of us are going to work every day

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 7:16 PM Post
SRB said:
Sort of a bad look for fans to ever criticize the players for not putting themselves at risk during a global pandemic solely for our entertainment. We should be grateful they are negotiating at all.

They are the ones who want to play more games so yeah fans can criticize the players for this. If they were about not putting themselves at risk they would be advocating for less games but they are not. It is more about money than anything else.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 7:34 PM Post
SRB said:

I agree with you on just about everything you post but boy does this one miss the mark in so many ways in my respectful opinion.

1) Most of us have continued to work and put ourselves at risk as others have mentioned. I don't expect those who can afford not to to do the same, but I'm certainly not going to fall over myself in gratitude because the players are negotiating to play the game they get payed to play.

2) As was also mentioned, this is about money, not safety. And as with the NBA, anyone who genuinely feels unsafe to play will be allowed to stay home and not be paid. So again, 100% about the money, not about safety. If you really feel this is about player safety, I have to assume you haven't really been following negotiations at all.

3) With the kind of healthcare, constant access to testing and monitoring and restrictions that these guys will be subjected to, I have no idea in the world how you could possibly claim these guys are safer sitting at home enjoying their freedoms than playing under these restrictions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 9:41 PM Post
adambr2 said:

3) With the kind of healthcare, constant access to testing and monitoring and restrictions that these guys will be subjected to, I have no idea in the world how you could possibly claim these guys are safer sitting at home enjoying their freedoms than playing under these restrictions.

Wait. What?! Of course they are safer at home, and socially distancing. How is that not obvious? And most of them have enough money for fantastic health care at home

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 11:08 PM Post
This article from ESPN doesn't paint the players in a good light.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/293 ... ources-say

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 18, 2020, 11:40 PM Post
On the players side, this has alot to do with the fact they feel they and Tony Clark got owned in the last CBA negotiation, and they are adamant about looking like they get the better end of this round. The failure they have in public perception and with this approach now is this shortened season due to a pandemic shouldn't be like a CBA negotiation to get back on the field. They should have kept their powder dry for next offseason. Instead now they come out looking greedy going after a higher chunk of severely diminished league revenues this year and blew their position for next year's actual CBA negotiation - when getting even small concessions from owners next year would drastically improve their pocketbooks in the longterm.

The owners are likely to just tell Manfred to shut it down for 2020 very soon, I'm sure there are a handful that have already been telling Manfred as much.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 6:43 AM Post
I read the article and didn’t come away with thinking the players are in the wrong for their negotiations. I guess I’d you believe every word of the Commish you might but he’s a snake and will do what he can to paint a picture.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 7:27 AM Post
nate82 said:
SRB said:

They are the ones who want to play more games so yeah fans can criticize the players for this. If they were about not putting themselves at risk they would be advocating for less games but they are not. It is more about money than anything else.

I know right? As a baseball fan, the very last thing I want to see is more games being played.

LOL at the owners, trolling their own fan base over what will amount to a 5 game difference. The disturbing thing is how easily it works on some, because "players be greedy".

Owners in March "that wasn't really a done deal"
Owners in June "oh we thought it was a done deal"

LMFAOOO

What's frightening to me is the thought that the owners only went through the Manfred/Clark face to face charade so they could shut up the "When and where" movement that had them down for the count to turn around and paint themselves as martyrs when the players countered the offer. When counter offers happen in every single negotiation ever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 7:58 AM Post
Guys, neither side wants a 2020 season. The owners don't want to lose money and the players want to stick it to the owners so they can have the upper hand in the next CBA. Stop blaming one side over the other. They both suck.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 8:41 AM Post
Brew4U said:
I read the article and didn’t come away with thinking the players are in the wrong for their negotiations. I guess I’d you believe every word of the Commish you might but he’s a snake and will do what he can to paint a picture.

If that is your opinion of Manfred, nothing in any article will paint the players in a bad light for you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 8:47 AM Post
areacodes said:
Brew4U said:

If that is your opinion of Manfred, nothing in any article will paint the players in a bad light for you.

I’m not sure how anyone could have any other sort of an opinion on Manfred. He’s either a really terrible Commish that doesn’t care much about the actual sport or he’s a puppet for greedy owners that care more about making money. Pick one, he sucks either way.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 9:16 AM Post
Brew4U said:
areacodes said:
Brew4U said:

I’m not sure how anyone could have any other sort of an opinion on Manfred. He’s either a really terrible Commish that doesn’t care much about the actual sport or he’s a puppet for greedy owners that care more about making money. Pick one, he sucks either way.

Considering Manfred is hired by the owners, it's fair to assume he's a mouthpiece for the owners. Right now, he's basically representing the position of the owners that hired him. You're basically shooting the messenger.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 10:18 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... yers-staff

8 positive tests in the Phillies camp...not good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 10:47 AM Post
I have a strong feeling there will be no baseball in 2020. There will be no contact sports of any kind until a vaccine and/or we develop herd immunity to this virus. [sad]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 12:07 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Pugger said:
I have a strong feeling there will be no baseball in 2020. There will be no contact sports of any kind until a vaccine and/or we develop herd immunity to this virus. [sad]

I don't think any fall sports are going to happen. Pretty amazing to see the contrast in states with COVID going away vs. exponentially increasing right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 12:37 PM Post
I’ve read articles and quotes from players stating that playing as many games as possible is the most important factor to them and they feel they should play 82 games as a minimum. They’re trying to play it as money is only a secondary concern. I’m calling bs! If that were so then, instead of countering the MLB at 70 games with 100% prorated salary they would have countered their offer at 88 games with 80% prorated salary, being that games played of the most importance to the players. Financially the 2 contract terms would work out to be the same.
If the MLB and MLBPA can’t work this out and play games in the 2020 season it’s going to cost them all a lot more in future seasons. The 1994 strike should be a guiding light for both players and owners. If fans stop showing up to the ballparks again it’ll cost owners and obviously players future contracts

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 2:13 PM Post
BrewFan130 said:
I’ve read articles and quotes from players stating that playing as many games as possible is the most important factor to them and they feel they should play 82 games as a minimum. They’re trying to play it as money is only a secondary concern. I’m calling bs! If that were so then, instead of countering the MLB at 70 games with 100% prorated salary they would have countered their offer at 88 games with 80% prorated salary, being that games played of the most importance to the players. Financially the 2 contract terms would work out to be the same.
If the MLB and MLBPA can’t work this out and play games in the 2020 season it’s going to cost them all a lot more in future seasons. The 1994 strike should be a guiding light for both players and owners. If fans stop showing up to the ballparks again it’ll cost owners and obviously players future contracts

The Union already considered pro rata salaries as a concession. In a typical year if a player spent 140 games on the DL and 2 more games were rained out and not made up, they would still get their full salary despite playing in only 20 games. They are not going to take another cut, despite the fact they could make more overall money playing 75 games at 80% than 50 at 100%.

Some owners are going to really take a bath this season in terms of revenue, especially those who own the bars, restaurants, hotels, and other entertainment etc. around their stadium, those owners probably are fine with punting the 2020 season and at this point would be happy to avoid a grievance requiring them to lay out even more money in legal fees etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 2:27 PM Post
owbc said:
Pugger said:

I don't think any fall sports are going to happen. Pretty amazing to see the contrast in states with COVID going away vs. exponentially increasing right now.

I think you guys are still viewing this from a March perspective when we thought there was a possible 3-4% mortality rate associated with COVID.

I'm pretty confident that the fact that there is very strong evidence that this is a lot less lethal than we had originally feared is definitely taken into consideration and is absolutely part of the reason we haven't really seen resumed lockdowns despite rising cases.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 2:34 PM Post
Clearly the only solution is to spend a few weeks arguing that a 60 game season is too short and that we need an 82 game season which ends in October with 5-6 games per week

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2020, 2:42 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
owbc said:
Pugger said:

I think you guys are still viewing this from a March perspective when we thought there was a possible 3-4% mortality rate associated with COVID.

I'm pretty confident that the fact that there is very strong evidence that this is a lot less lethal than we had originally feared is definitely taken into consideration and is absolutely part of the reason we haven't really seen resumed lockdowns despite rising cases.

Has nothing to do with mortality--the recent exponential growth in cases in many places is the problem which increases the odds of positive tests in locker rooms/clubhouses, thus throwing a huge wrench into sports. What if a college football team has positive tests a few days before the game? Do they forfeit? Or are they incentivized to hide the positives? Or do they just let every athlete/support staff contact COVID and if a couple of them experience complications or die (or their relatives die) then oh well, we'll pay off the lawsuits and move on.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply