LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 impact on MLB season

Online  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 19, 2020, 3:19 PM Post
Absolutely the mortality rate has something to do with the current approach going forward with sports. You're telling me that if concerns from March hadn't been worst case and we were looking at a 5% incidence fatality rate, we wouldn't have called off all 2020 sports by now and be instituting widespread stay-at-home orders? Of course we would. If something isn't killing people you're going to be a lot less concerned about it spreading than if it was killing people at a high rate. H1N1 blew up enormously in terms of spread, but we didn't take major precautions to address its exponential growth. Why? Because it simply wasn't very lethal.

COVID is absolutely more dangerous than H1N1, but definitely far less than what we feared on March 15th. So does that come into play when determining if we need to shut something down when someone gets it or quarantine, contact trace, test, and move on? Certainly.

College sports is a little different than pro sports and I'm not sure we'll have any. But I wouldn't be surprised if we do. They are going forward with Northwoods League Baseball here in central Wisconsin, with special precautions. I don't know how to specifically answer what each individual sports organization will do when a team has players who test positive. Those scenarios will of course be planned for well in advance as to how they will be handled.

Last edited by adambr2 on June 19, 2020, 4:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 impact on MLB season
Posted: June 19, 2020, 3:22 PM Post
Brew4U said:
areacodes said:
Brew4U said:
I read the article and didn’t come away with thinking the players are in the wrong for their negotiations. I guess I’d you believe every word of the Commish you might but he’s a snake and will do what he can to paint a picture.

If that is your opinion of Manfred, nothing in any article will paint the players in a bad light for you.

I’m not sure how anyone could have any other sort of an opinion on Manfred. He’s either a really terrible Commish that doesn’t care much about the actual sport or he’s a puppet for greedy owners that care more about making money. Pick one, he sucks either way.

Being a puppet or terrible at his job is different than calling him a snake. I didn’t even comment about his ability or anything along those lines (FYI - I think he is a poor commissioner). My only point was, if you go in viewing him as a snake - you aren’t going to see any fault with the players in their response.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2020, 9:18 AM Post
Global Moderator
All spring training facilities have been closed.

Whether or not the two sides agree on a schedule or whatever, I'd say we're getting perilously close to not having any baseball. Or Sports. Golf and NASCAR are a little more manageable I think. Baseball and football and basketball are completely different animals. Clemson football team has 23 players testing positive.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2020, 9:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
So if there is no baseball season, are the player contracts/arbitration years/minor league options "froze" or would someone like Zach Davies become a free agent now? Puts that trade in a bit different light if he is a FA.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2020, 11:29 AM Post
If it’s cancelled service time still counts per the March 26th agreement.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2020, 11:31 AM Post
There was an agreement back in March that a player would be credited with 2020 service time as the same amount that the player was credited with in 2019 if the season was cancelled.

IMO this would be a loss in terms of the Davies trade. Davies has 4+ years of service time, so he is controlled by the Padres for 2 more seasons (is not a free agent after this year). So the Padres lose a year of him, but the Brewers also lose a year of Lauer. Grisham had 60 days of service time last year, so add another 60 and he's up to 120 which is still short of a full season So if the season is cancelled, the Padres still control him for 6 more seasons. As best I can tell, Urias service time in 2018 was 34 days and 86 days in 2019. So currently he is at 120 days and the Brewers would control him for 6 more seasons. However, add 86 days to that and it puts him over 1 year, so now the Brewers only control him for 5 years instead of 6. So the Padres will not lose one of Grisham's seasons, but this costs the Brewers a year of Urias control.

Not that I mind any of this as I still like the deal from the Brewers perspective.

What I would be interested in is how Dodger and Red Sox fans view that Mookie Betts trade?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2020, 12:41 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
All spring training facilities have been closed.

Whether or not the two sides agree on a schedule or whatever, I'd say we're getting perilously close to not having any baseball. Or Sports. Golf and NASCAR are a little more manageable I think. Baseball and football and basketball are completely different animals. Clemson football team has 23 players testing positive.

While it could be an indicator the season won't happen but I believe the spring training facilities being closed are because of the uptick in COVID cases in Arizona and Florida. The teams will probably move their spring training facilities to their home ballparks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 8:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
Philles had several positive cases in their facility. I believe Blue Jays did as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 9:10 AM Post
adambr2 said:
owbc said:
Pugger said:
I have a strong feeling there will be no baseball in 2020. There will be no contact sports of any kind until a vaccine and/or we develop herd immunity to this virus. [sad]

I don't think any fall sports are going to happen. Pretty amazing to see the contrast in states with COVID going away vs. exponentially increasing right now.

I think you guys are still viewing this from a March perspective when we thought there was a possible 3-4% mortality rate associated with COVID.

I'm pretty confident that the fact that there is very strong evidence that this is a lot less lethal than we had originally feared is definitely taken into consideration and is absolutely part of the reason we haven't really seen resumed lockdowns despite rising cases.

I don't think this virus is as lethal as folks thought it was in March. It must be taken seriously by people who are at risk like older folks and those with pre-existing conditions. But it will be difficult to practice social distancing playing sports like baseball and especially football. I doubt there will be another lockdown even if cases continue to spike unless the hospitals are over run but I don't see that happening.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 9:20 AM Post
MLBPA taking a vote today to decide if they want to accept MLB's 60-game proposal. To me, if they vote against it, it really makes that "when and where" stuff look like lip service.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 11:31 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
MLBPA taking a vote today to decide if they want to accept MLB's 60-game proposal. To me, if they vote against it, it really makes that "when and where" stuff look like lip service.

Agreed, I thought it already sounded pretty hollow considering they had already rejected the MLB telling them "when and where" several times at that point, but if they continue rejecting proposals after basically insinuating all the blame is on MLB's side, they're really going to come off bad.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 2:32 PM Post
My perception of the “when and where” thing was basically the players saying - look, we aren’t getting anywhere and we aren’t going to waive our right to file a grievance. So let’s quit the public negotiating, at this rate we’re not anywhere close to signing anything new. We’re ready to play under whatever is legally in place at the moment and we’ll let the lawyers figure the rest out later.

They weren’t just saying “make us a proposal telling us when and where, and for however much you want, with whatever safety measures you want, and with however many concessions present and future you want us to swallow, and we’ll just sign it.” Quite the opposite. The perception that the continued negotiating is contrary to that mantra is off-base IMO.

But yes, both sides still look terrible here.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 5:43 PM Post
Fair enough, and almost certainly correct, but then the owners should just be tweeting "We'r ready when you are" back. But you're right, the whole thing is ridiculous at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 21, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Absolutely the mortality rate has something to do with the current approach going forward with sports. You're telling me that if concerns from March hadn't been worst case and we were looking at a 5% incidence fatality rate, we wouldn't have called off all 2020 sports by now and be instituting widespread stay-at-home orders? Of course we would. If something isn't killing people you're going to be a lot less concerned about it spreading than if it was killing people at a high rate. H1N1 blew up enormously in terms of spread, but we didn't take major precautions to address its exponential growth. Why? Because it simply wasn't very lethal.

COVID is absolutely more dangerous than H1N1, but definitely far less than what we feared on March 15th. So does that come into play when determining if we need to shut something down when someone gets it or quarantine, contact trace, test, and move on? Certainly.

College sports is a little different than pro sports and I'm not sure we'll have any. But I wouldn't be surprised if we do. They are going forward with Northwoods League Baseball here in central Wisconsin, with special precautions. I don't know how to specifically answer what each individual sports organization will do when a team has players who test positive. Those scenarios will of course be planned for well in advance as to how they will be handled.

I don't think it really matters, to be honest, unfortunately. Whether it's .4% or 4%, I don't see how NFL moves forward. The number of people involved before you even consider fans is just so much bigger per game. I'm on your side of this, but practically speaking I don't think the mortality will really affect sports happening or not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2020, 10:21 AM Post
As of Friday, Illinois is going to allow up to 20% venue capacity for spectator sports. That would mean roughly 8,000 fans for games at both Wrigley and Guaranteed Rate Park. Concessions would be allowed with restrictions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2020, 2:09 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
As of Friday, Illinois is going to allow up to 20% venue capacity for spectator sports. That would mean roughly 8,000 fans for games at both Wrigley and Guaranteed Rate Park. Concessions would be allowed with restrictions.

It seems like keeping the players COVID-free is going to be a greater challenge than getting a couple thousand fans into the stadium.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2020, 3:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
I heard a story where a company in Israel has invented a light mist disinfectant that people can walk through before going into large stadiums. Combine that with temperature tests and that would greatly increase the safety.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2020, 3:54 PM Post
https://670thescore.radio.com/illinois- ... -sox-bears

“The new guidelines for Illinois' fourth phase of its coronavirus reopening plan will affect venues such as Northwestern's Ryan Field, Illinois' Memorial Stadium and Northern Illinois' Huskie Stadium -- but not yet Chicago venues such as Wrigley Field, Guaranteed Rate Field and Soldier Field. Indoor venues such as the United Center will remain closed to fans for the entire state.“

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2020, 5:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
Until a pitcher is warming up to throw the first pitch of the season, I don't want to hear from Rob Manfred, Tony Clark, Bob Nightengale, Ken Rosenthal, Jon Heyman, Buster Olney, etc.

This constant back and forth, will they or won't they stuff is tiresome and not worth my interest.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 22, 2020, 7:14 PM Post
MLB implements 60 game season players to report on July 1st.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rob- ... port/live/

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 68  Next  [ 1353 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply