LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 42 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Simulated 2020 Baseball Season

Offline  Simulated 2020 Baseball Season

Posted: March 25, 2020, 6:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
Starting a thread for those interested in sharing simulated 2020 baseball season results each day of the season while we are waiting on actual baseball to hopefully occur at some point. This can include anything from MLB the Show to Out of The Park computer simulations (JosephC mentioned doing so each day with OOTP in another thread). I will follow-up with a daily post of my own regarding the MLB the Show simulated season I am planning to do each day of what was supposed to be the actual baseball season.

As a primer, ESPN recently did an MLB The Show simulation for over the next decade in which the Brewers and Twins matched up in the 2022 World Series (the Twins won in 7 games unfortunately). Also, former Brewers prospect K.J. Harrison became a World Series MVP with the Nationals in 2027, and Isan Diaz was acquired by the Tigers and became a key piece to the dynasty they built by the end of the 2020’s. In addition to ESPN, Yahoo also recently did their own 2020 MLB The Show simulation. In it the Reds won the division and the Cubs captured the second wild card spot. The good news for Brewers fans is Brent Suter made the All-Star team, J.P. Feyereisen won the NL Rookie of the Year award, and in the subsequent offseason the Brewers traded for Miguel Sano and signed Mookie Betts to an 8-year contract, mirroring team control for both Betts and Yelich through 2028.

Also, Baseball Reference is running a daily simulation powered by OOTP 21 linked below:

Baseball Reference 2020 Simulated Season Daily Digest

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Simulated 2020 Baseball Season

Posted: March 25, 2020, 7:32 PM Post
I could do this but I'd be late with the first few games. I didn't realize the season would start tomorrow (just not used to games in March that count). Generally before I start I like to take some time and look through all the setup screens to make sure everything looks right. Probably wouldn't be able to get around to that until Saturday, even if I would purchase OOTP tonight.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Simulated 2020 Baseball Season

Posted: March 25, 2020, 8:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
I could do this but I'd be late with the first few games. I didn't realize the season would start tomorrow (just not used to games in March that count). Generally before I start I like to take some time and look through all the setup screens to make sure everything looks right. Probably wouldn't be able to get around to that until Saturday, even if I would purchase OOTP tonight.

It’s obviously up to you, but I would certainly enjoy seeing the results if you’re willing to do it. I think at this point “waiting” until the weekend for some entertainment sounds like 5 minutes compared to the wait for semi-normal life to resume.

I will post my first day of simulated MLB The Show results tomorrow for those interested.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:20 AM Post
Awesome! This will be fun to see!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 2:29 PM Post
Eye Black said:
JosephC said:

It’s obviously up to you, but I would certainly enjoy seeing the results if you’re willing to do it. I think at this point “waiting” until the weekend for some entertainment sounds like 5 minutes compared to the wait for semi-normal life to resume.

I will post my first day of simulated MLB The Show results tomorrow for those interested.

Are you guys just going to post the results/box scores? Is it difficult to post highlights or even full games? I've played OOTP for a few years and there is a "highlight" reel after every game--although OOTPs graphics are rather vintage, to be polite (and that is the only sports game that I play, so that's not a slight on the game)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
Sorry for the delay, but I come with good news from day one of the MLB The Show simulation.

First a little background, I don’t play video games much at this point in my life, but I decided to purchase MLB The Show this year sort of as a novelty with the season likely being cut in half as the best case scenario. Also, this year’s game actually includes each organizations full roster of minor leaguers in Double-A and Triple-A which is pretty cool (but admittedly not great for the under compensated MiLB players).

I‘ve decided to run a daily simulation of the Brewers season on MLB The Show and will do my best to post the results here. I’m not actually playing any of these games (so my lack of gaming ability doesn’t get in the way), just running a simulated game every day of the originally scheduled season. I am also not going to restart any of these games if they aren’t going the Brewers way (no mulligans), just letting the computer do its thing and reporting the genuine results. The only things I’ll have some control over are setting the lineup and rotation (I guess transactions and 40-man roster moves if it comes to that).

I will post a brief recap of each game, and an occasional screenshot. Maybe at some point I’ll be sophisticated enough to post an actual highlight. I will also occasionally post the league standings and stats leaders.

Game #1 - Cubs at Brewers (Opening Day) - March 26, 2020 (MLB The Show Sim)

Final Score: Brewers 7, Cubs 6

Game Recap: Brewers entered the 7th inning up 3-1. The Cubs then got to the Brewers bullpen including a 3-run home run off of Corbin Burnes. The Brewers responded with a big inning that resulted in 4 runs being charged to reliever Rowan Wick. Brewers bats were very balanced, only Christian Yelich had multiple hits (2-for-5, both hits were doubles). Newcomers Avisaíl García and Omar Narváez each hit home runs. The only Brewers starting position player held hitless was Keston Hiura. The Brewers held on for dear life late in the game as the Cubs added two more against reliever J.P. Feyereisen to make it a one run game. Josh Hader closed the door on the Cubs which included two strikeouts (and one walk) in his inning worked.

Extra Note: One minor complaint about the Brewers uniforms in MLB The Show, they still have the Brewers old ball and glove logo on the hats. I actually prefer that logo anyway, but a slight oversight by the developers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:11 PM Post
I've got OOTP setup. I've had OOTP13 and OOTP17 and this is OOTP21, so there are some new things in the setup screen but only one has caught my eye. There is a "hook for starting pitcher" and "hook for relief pitcher." They can be set anywhere from +5 (very slow) to -5 (very quick) and default settings are not at default (0) but at -5 for starters and -3 for relievers. I'm going to leave it at these default settings largely because Counsell has about the quickest hook I've ever seen...I just don't hope it ends up with Brandon Woodruff having 32 starts and only 120 innings in those 32 starts. We'll see what happens.

I've also set it up where I am a GM & Manager that is currently unemployed. Therefore, I have no control over any of the 30 teams.

I'm going to sim through spring training tonight, post the opening day roster and anything newsworthy that happens in spring training and wait until tomorrow to do game 1.

I'm also going to see if uploading files onto this board works or not? So some of my posts will probably look pretty messed up. If I can't figure it that out, I'll just post some quick notes regarding the games with some occasional season stat updates. Also will give some minor league updates as time permits.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 8:45 PM Post
OOTP spring training simulation finished.

Opening day roster-

Starting Rotation = Brandon Woodruff, Brent Suter, Adrian Houser, Freddy Peralta, Brett Anderson

Bullpen = Josh Hader (closer), Corbin Burnes (setup), Alex Claudio (setup), Devin Williams (middle), J.P. Feyereisen (middle), Ray Black (middle), David Phelps (middle), Josh Lindblom (long)

Catcher = Omar Narvaez, David Freitas

IF = Justin Smoak, Keston Hiura, Brock Holt, Jedd Gyorko, Eric Sogard, Orlando Arcia

OF = Ryan Braun, Ben Gamel, Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, Avisail Garcia

Brewer's primary lineup:
1. CF-Lorenzo Cain
2. RF-Avisail Garcia
3. 2B-Keston Hiura
4. LF-Christian Yelich
5. 1B-Justin Smoak
6. C-Omar Narvaez
7. SS-Orlando Arcia
8. 3B-Eric Sogard

Injury list = RP-Corey Knebel (3 weeks), SS-Luis Urias (1 week), RF-Tyrone Taylor (3 days)

The one thing I can't figure out is that Manny Pina is showing up on the AAA roster and he's not on a DFA list or anything like that. I've double checked to make sure I have things setup correctly in terms of option years and I do. So I think OOTP blew that one. Logan Morrison also showing up on the AAA but that doesn't bother me as his situation is definitely not the same as Pina's.

MiLB notes:
Prospect Pipeline:
#77 = 2B-Brice Turang
#162 = RHP-Drew Rasmussen
#296 =LHP-Antoine Kelly
#300 = RF-Corey Ray
#309 = C-Mario Feliciano
#316 = RF-Tristen Lutz
#332 = LHP-Ethan Small
#346 = LHP-Aaron Ashby
#368 = CF-Hedbert Perez
#433 = RHP-Zack Brown
#472 = RHP-Max Lazar
I've put the prospect list on dynamic which means it will change everyday. I will post an update every now and then.

Since there will likely be a lot of player shuffling between MLB and AAA, here is the AAA roster-
Starting pitchers = Drew Rasmussen, Eric Lauer, Zack Brown, Alec Bettinger, Aaron Wilkerson
Relief pitchers = Jesus Castillo (closer), Chris Lee (setup), Dylan File (setup), Justin Grimm (middle), Jake Faria (middle), Bubba Derby (long), Shelby Miller (long)
Catcher = Manny Pina, Tuffy Gosewisch
IF = Logan Morrison, Ryon Healy, Andres Blanco, Mark Mathias, Lucas Erceg, Patrick Leonard, Ronny Rodriguez
OF = Jace Peterson, Keon Broxton, Cooper Hummel, Corey Ray

Only other minor league note is that RHP-Noah Zavolas has been released.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 9:04 PM Post
Oxy said:
Eye Black said:
JosephC said:

Are you guys just going to post the results/box scores? Is it difficult to post highlights or even full games? I've played OOTP for a few years and there is a "highlight" reel after every game--although OOTPs graphics are rather vintage, to be polite (and that is the only sports game that I play, so that's not a slight on the game)

I was really hoping that I could load up one screenshot a day of the boxscore. Looks like it creates a 304 KB .jpg and that size file exceeds the file size limit when I try to do the upload to brewerfan. That kind of sucks. Any suggestions or workarounds would be welcome, I'll be signing off for the night but will take a look at it again tomorrow morning.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 9:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
The one thing I can't figure out is that Manny Pina is showing up on the AAA roster and he's not on a DFA list or anything like that. I've double checked to make sure I have things setup correctly in terms of option years and I do. So I think OOTP blew that one.

Well as far as I can tell MLB The Show doesn’t have Josh Lindblom in this year’s game at all, so it appears they made an even bigger mistake. Sort of frustrating, I guess we’ll pretend he’s hurt.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2020, 9:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
I was really hoping that I could load up one screenshot a day of the boxscore. Looks like it creates a 304 KB .jpg and that size file exceeds the file size limit when I try to do the upload to brewerfan. That kind of sucks. Any suggestions or workarounds would be welcome, I'll be signing off for the night but will take a look at it again tomorrow morning.

If you load the screenshots into a flickr account I think you should be able to resize the files from there. That is what I’ve been using.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2020, 8:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
Eye black, I think I might get in to this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2020, 10:08 AM Post
Sorry about having to scroll left/right for each attachment

March 26 - Brewers 5, Cubs 1

Game Summary-

Attachment:
2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-03-27_10-58-07.jpg
2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-03-27_10-58-07.jpg [ 190.16 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Hitters-

Attachment:
2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-03-27_10-58-23.jpg
2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-03-27_10-58-23.jpg [ 210.57 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Pitchers-

Attachment:
2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-03-27_10-58-41.jpg
2020_milwaukee_brewers_2020-03-27_10-58-41.jpg [ 166.14 KiB | Viewed 289 times ]

Last edited by JosephC on March 28, 2020, 3:38 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2020, 10:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
RobDeer 45 said:
Eye black, I think I might get in to this.

Please do! This certainly qualifies as a “more the merrier” situation. Hopefully a fun exercise/distraction for a few folks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2020, 8:55 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
You guys had better luck in your MLB the Show debuts.

Brewers lost 7-2 in my opener.

We actually let it play in full broadcast mode and watched game unfold. 45 minutes of fun with my 9 year old.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2020, 1:10 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Currently watching game 2. Brewers up 2-1 in the 4th but have already grounded into 4 double plays, two with the bases loaded and no out. Frustrating.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2020, 1:46 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Currently watching game 2. Brewers up 2-1 in the 4th but have already grounded into 4 double plays, two with the bases loaded and no out. Frustrating.

Wow these simulations are surprisingly accurate lol.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2020, 2:00 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
young guns said:
JackNicholson1974 said:

Wow these simulations are surprisingly accurate lol.

Hader just gave up a 2 run HR with two out in the 9th to Javy Baez. 3-3 now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2020, 2:05 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Sogard leads off 9th with single. Tyrone Taylor in to PR. Pina pinch hits for Hader, sac bunt. Taylor to second. Brock Holt, who is leading off and playing SS flys out to RF. Cain, batting second hit a slow roller to 3b and Bryant boots. Runners on corners for Yelich. First pitch a long foul ball that would have won it. Crowd really wanted it. Strikes out. Extra innings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2020, 2:25 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Counsell falling asleep in the dugout. Knebel just pitched two innings, the 10th and 11th. Threw 48 pitches. Gave up a run. 4-3 headed to bottom of 11th.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 42 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply