LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers Classics

Offline  Re: Brewers Classics

Posted: April 29, 2020, 7:35 AM Post
rickh150 said:
When I watched the Brewers WS Game 7, it was odd watching all of these soft tossers pitch for us after seeing high heat so often today.... Vuc, McClure, Caldwell. Did any of them touch 90?

McClure topped 90 when he was strictly relieving. He threw pretty hard for the times. After he became a starter he was right around 90. Vuke was pitching with a tendon tear in his elbow towards the end of 82. What now would put a pitcher out with TJ, some guys pitched through because he was so adept at changing speeds on his fastball he could still fool hitters. I've never seen anyone since then be able to do that. Caldwell was the toughest hombre in the league. Wasn't afraid of anything or anybody. He got under Reggie Jackson's skin many times by backing him off the plate and then getting him on soft breaking pitches away. I think Caldwell could still pitch today. Jim Slaton was a relatively hard thrower early in his career, but he became a painter and had tremendous command away. Unlike today's game, guys threw more breaking pitches for strikes because hitters could lay off the stuff off the plate with two strikes unlike in today's game where they are so geared for upper 90's stuff. The lefty reliever who was a Brewer several years later that had real gas was Ray Searage, the long time Pirate pitching coach. Of course Plesac could get it up there too in his early years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2020, 1:07 PM Post
Enjoyed the Sheets 18 K game the other night. CC's "one" hitter game tonight. Sunday night Rickie and Prince 1st HR game. Really loving these.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2020, 10:49 AM Post
Not sure where exactly to put this but I stumbled on this article about Ben Sheets from 2014.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/the-unseen-magic-of-ben-sheets/

It's a shame he played on some of the worst teams ever assembled and then turned into glass or else he'd probably be in the discussion as one of the greatest Brewers ever. A couple years ago I mentioned his name to my high school players at practice and no one knew who he was, much to my chagrin and anger. He struck out everyone, walked no one, and had a personality that made him hard to dislike. He's still my all time favorite player and my son is named after him (don't tell his mother that though).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2020, 2:49 PM Post
Very cool to see Rickie's and Prince's first HR game, because I was actually at that one. Bonus is a newly drafted and signed Braun in the booth for a half inning. That said, Daron Sutton and Bob Brainerd are like nails on a chalkboard, good lord were they both just awful.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2020, 7:56 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
rickh150 said:
When I watched the Brewers WS Game 7, it was odd watching all of these soft tossers pitch for us after seeing high heat so often today.... Vuc, McClure, Caldwell. Did any of them touch 90?

McClure topped 90 when he was strictly relieving. He threw pretty hard for the times. After he became a starter he was right around 90. Vuke was pitching with a tendon tear in his elbow towards the end of 82. What now would put a pitcher out with TJ, some guys pitched through because he was so adept at changing speeds on his fastball he could still fool hitters. I've never seen anyone since then be able to do that. Caldwell was the toughest hombre in the league. Wasn't afraid of anything or anybody. He got under Reggie Jackson's skin many times by backing him off the plate and then getting him on soft breaking pitches away. I think Caldwell could still pitch today. Jim Slaton was a relatively hard thrower early in his career, but he became a painter and had tremendous command away. Unlike today's game, guys threw more breaking pitches for strikes because hitters could lay off the stuff off the plate with two strikes unlike in today's game where they are so geared for upper 90's stuff. The lefty reliever who was a Brewer several years later that had real gas was Ray Searage, the long time Pirate pitching coach. Of course Plesac could get it up there too in his early years.

In the 80's, I remember being somewhat in awe at a pitcher that could hit above 90 mph.... most didn't or couldn't.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2020, 1:58 AM Post
My dad took my younger brother to the Sheets 18 K game for his birthday even though neither of them like baseball. He would not let my older brother and me go even though we like baseball. That is my lasting memory of Sheets' 18 K game.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 19, 2020, 6:16 AM Post
trwi7 said:
My dad took my younger brother to the Sheets 18 K game for his birthday even though neither of them like baseball. He would not let my older brother and me go even though we like baseball. That is my lasting memory of Sheets' 18 K game.

Your dad gave you a memory that you'll keep forever.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 23, 2020, 3:23 PM Post
Watching the '86 Mets-BoSox on NBCSN last night brought up this thought. It's been nice viewing all the old 1982 games an such, but the thing no one wants to talk about is how in the early 80's the Mets and Brewers were regarded to have the two strongest farm systems and what became of it? The Brewers with one pennant and no world championship, the Mets with just the one (serendipitous) World Series win.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply