LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 5 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Chris Saenz - Cody Scarpetta

Offline  Chris Saenz - Cody Scarpetta

Posted: May 16, 2020, 7:21 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Love the fact that Will Sammon of the Athletic caught up with now 38-year-old Chris Saenz (subscription required, read it here).

No subscription? Read our own reillymcshane's 2015 retrospective piece on Saenz here.

Similar story in terms of bittersweet, but not exact, experiences, is the one-day-a-big-league-Brewer-but-not-really tale of RHP Cody Scarpetta.

He is among the "phantom big leaguers", a step below what Chris Saenz got to experience.

Todd Rosiak's article from July 10, 2011

Scarpetta's Wikipedia page is a fascinating read.

We spent lots of "ink" on these forums on Scarpetta over his journey. The negated initial signing bonus, his very early addition to the 40-man roster, his 4th minor league option, injury woes and more.

And finally, this page on Phantom Major Leaguers (not detailing all of them, but enough to get wrapped up in their often-fascinating backstories) is a fine read.

I'm aware of three additional players with Brewers ties who experienced this -- RHP Tim Bausher (w/Boston, prior to joining the Brewers organization), LHP Brian Mazone (w/Philadelphia, post-Brewers stint) and C Shawn Zarraga (w/Dodgers, post-Brewers tenure).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Chris Saenz - Cody Scarpetta

Posted: May 16, 2020, 7:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
How is it possible that Saenz is 38? Wow, how time has flown.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 16, 2020, 12:48 PM Post
Thanks, Mass. Just this week I'd been trying to figure out how Larry Yount was credited with an MLB appearance. I finally found out by reading the honorable mentions section of the Phantom Major Leaguers Wikipedia page.

For anyone wondering, he got injured tossing warmup.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2020, 7:02 AM Post
I was at the game Chris Saenz started. Man he looked great and it wasn't like the Cardinals were the 62 Mets. If you had told me then that this would be his one and only major league appearance, I'd have said you were nuts. Injuries derailed his career or I think he'd have gotten a chance. He proved one thing that day. At age 22, the moment wasn't too big for him. Nobody can take that away from him. Poise is one of those attributes that cannot be measured. Chris Saenz had it that day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 18, 2020, 8:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
If you only get one cup of coffee, you might as well make it a grande triple vanilla latte, half sweet with cream and caramel drizzle.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 5 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply