LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 121 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

60 man Roster

Offline  60 man Roster

Posted: June 23, 2020, 5:46 PM Post
Sounds like the 60 man roster needs to be finalized by this Sunday. Anyone in particular you want to see on it? I'm hoping they put Rasmussen on it as I think he could make a big jump this season

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 60 man Roster

Posted: June 23, 2020, 5:50 PM Post
Rasmussen is a good choice. Corey Ray would seem like a no brainer. Clayton Andrews is interesting.

Do we know what the extra 30-34 players will be doing if not on the MLB roster?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2020, 8:01 PM Post
This doesn’t start the clock like being put on the 40 does it?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2020, 8:12 PM Post
I guess my question is, does this affect opt outs at all? Morrison would be an obvious choice, but I'd guess they would have to add him to the 40-man and waive someone to keep him. I'd guess most of the extra 20 would be pitchers. If they stick with 4 catchers on the 40-man, I don't know how much sense putting Feliciano on there would make. As far as other hitters, Broxton, Peterson and Erceg are the other position player NRIs. Beyond that you'd get into the tier with Hummel, Wilson and a few of the non-NRI minor league free agents.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 60-man Roster

Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:30 AM Post

Roster Guru
do the clubs have the right to require a physical and evaluate the player before the sunday deadline of setting the 60-man roster? how the heck are they supposed to achieve that in less than five days?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would hope they would be keeping track of their players so a physical shouldn't be necessary.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:41 AM Post

Roster Guru
CheezWizHed said:
I would hope they would be keeping track of their players so a physical shouldn't be necessary.

but then whose assessment is the club putting faith in? the player's self-assessment? the assessment of a doctor in the player's off-season region (which could potentially be up to 60 different medical professionals)? have the players been able to see medical professionals since the pandemic?

i know that we're talking likely talking about minimum pay for at least two-thirds of these taxi squad players on the 60-man, so it's low risk for the club to add them if there's a pre-existing injury.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 8:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
Well, all of them went through their physical in pre-season. I'd hope that their coaches are keeping in touch with them during COVID to track work-out progress. Anyone previously injured would still be doing check-ups with the team doctor.

I suppose someone could cut themselves on salad tongs or use the wrong pillow at home and not tell the coach. But I'd think any major injury would be reported and handled by the club.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 10:28 AM Post
What about the 30 man roster for the first two weeks?

You'd have to imagine the following players would all be locks given their salaries, option status and overall need at the big league level.

C Narvaez
C Pina
1B Smoak
1B Morrison
2B Hiura
SS Arcia
3B Gyorko
3B Sogard
3B Healy
LF Yelich
CF Cain
RF Garcia
DH Braun
UT Holt
OF Gamel

SP Woodruff
SP Anderson
SP Peralta
SP Lauer
SP Houser
RP Hader
RP Knebel
RP Suter
RP Phelps
RP Black
RP Claudio
RP Wahl
P Lindblom
P Burnes

That leaves one spot for Urias, Yardley, Faria, Feyereisen, etc. Tricky situation other than the taxi squad some young players on the cusp of the majors are going to miss out on a year of development, especially when they cut down from 30 players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 7:03 PM Post
I’d probably have Urías over Healy. I’m not sure Faria is still around.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 7:44 PM Post
Yep, if everyone's healthy Urias over Healy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 7:53 PM Post
Gotta figure you carry 3 catchers. I imagine you don't want an injury to occur and bringing in somebody who hasn't played a game in long while. Urias/Sogard/Holt to mix around 2b/SS/3b with whomever they are calling on for starting. If we're using the DH for Braun you would have to have a 5th OF beyond just Gamel. Taylor got in a few games last season. I'd imagine he'd be first ahead of Ray. Then you have to go with how does the 1b/3b work out? Gyorko is your #1 3b. Holt has over 120 games at 3b, Sogard only has 38 in his career. So Healy or Morrison? I'd think Healy wins out over Morrison. Maybe they carry both and ditch Arcia in the end when it narrows all the way down. That or you're playing Holt as a starter more games than one think he would.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 24, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
As far as the 20 non-40 man spots, unless someone got cut that I missed, the Brewers have 19 guys who were NRIs still with the organization:

Pitchers
Clayton Andrews
Zack Brown
Jesus Castillo
Jake Faria
Justin Grimm
Thomas Jankins
Shelby Miller
Mike Morin
Drew Rasmussen
Miguel Sanchez
Ethan Small
Aaron Wilkerson

Catchers
Mario Feliciano
Tuffy Gosewisch
Payton Henry

Infielders
Lucas Erceg
Logan Morrison
Jace Peterson

Outfielders
Keon Broxton

Given that I can't see more than one of the catchers making it with four on the 40-man, Small being a longshot and resolving the Morrison situation possibly opening up a spot depending on how everything shakes out rules-wise, there will be a few other guys on the list. Some possibilities

Pitchers:
The likeliest: Luke Barker
Last year's AA rotation: Dylan File, Alec Bettinger, Bowden Francis
Back from injury: Quintin Torres-Costa
AAA vet: Bubba Derby
The wild card: Phil Bickford
Longer shots: Johan Belisario, Anthony Bender, Chris Lee, Justin Topa, Braden Webb

Hitters:
Only guy left who was likely AAA-bound: Cooper Hummel
Big spring: Chad Spanberger
Versatile but longer shots: David Fry, Weston Wilson
Still around: Luis Castro, Jake Gatewood, Alexander Palma, Ryan Aguilar

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2020, 2:46 PM Post

Roster Guru
the brewers won't announce their player pool until tomorrow. can have up to 60 players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2020, 7:47 PM Post
djoctagone said:
the brewers won't announce their player pool until tomorrow. can have up to 60 players.

I understood that all the teams had to have their lists into the league office on Sunday afternoon.
I wonder why most other team have their lists in (& announced) but the Brewers do not..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2020, 8:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
MadThinker88 said:
djoctagone said:

I understood that all the teams had to have their lists into the league office on Sunday afternoon.
I wonder why most other team have their lists in (& announced) but the Brewers do not..

Maybe Stearns & company are trying to swing a deal to upgrade that 60th spot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2020, 7:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
MadThinker88 said:
djoctagone said:

It seems that whenever there is a deadline, the Brewers are always a day late.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2020, 11:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers start with just 45 players in their player pool that will report to Miller Park, but they can still add players to their pool later.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2020, 11:27 AM Post
Is this the 60 man list or just the Milwaukee camp list? While they wouldn’t have a realistic roster shot to start the season it would be weird to not have AAA 40-man guys like Ray, Taylor and Supak not on the list of potential fill-ins for later in the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 29, 2020, 11:29 AM Post

Roster Guru
CheeseheadInQC said:
Is this the 60 man list or just the Milwaukee camp list?

this is just the list for players working out in milwaukee. the grand chute list has not been announced yet.

Last edited by djoctagone on June 30, 2020, 3:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next  [ 121 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply