LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 121 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

60 man Roster

Offline  Re: 60 man Roster

Posted: July 07, 2020, 11:07 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
why can't he work without being on the 60 man roster?

Well Arizona is mostly in lockdown again until late July. Not sure how that impacts the facility & his ability there. Appleton will have many of the coaches & instructors there working with them. He will be around higher talent, face better pitchers, and all with no pressure of stats like he would with an advance placement during a normal season to face similar competition.

You invest in a talented college OF who you’d hope to move fast... why not. There’s a good amount of other OFs who would need to go down for him to have to move up. He’d literally be 60th man. A lot has to go wrong for him to be forced up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 7:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
Why can't he work out in Appleton without being on the 60-man roster? Is there a restriction in place? Why not just come live there and work out (assuming health reasons are safe)? If the Brewers are paying his salary, why shouldn't he?

Then you aren't dealing with him on the 60-man roster because (as you said), there is little chance he would ever see the field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 10:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
There was a report that Dylan File was added to the 60 man roster, which I don't fully understand. We have 45 participants in whatever they're calling it, so are the missing 15 (or now 14?) names not on the 60, or is it that we just don't know?

In a normal season a AA starter might be a good candidate for the major league roster later in the season, so it makes sense to have File ready for action I guess.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 10:27 AM Post
SoCalBrewfan said:
There was a report that Dylan File was added to the 60 man roster, which I don't fully understand. We have 45 participants in whatever they're calling it, so are the missing 15 (or now 14?) names not on the 60, or is it that we just don't know?

In a normal season a AA starter might be a good candidate for the major league roster later in the season, so it makes sense to have File ready for action I guess.

The way I understood it, they only released the 45 names practicing in Milwaukee to the public, but they did submit the full 60-person roster to MLB. Perhaps they moved one of their COVID-positive players to the COVID IL, where they don't count against the 60-player limit, and File replaced him? Or maybe someone opted out, and word hasn't gotten out yet?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 08, 2020, 12:14 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
YoungGeezy1 said:
Now with Mitchell signing, does anyone see him being put on 60 man roster? Head to Appleton and get in some work?

I would imagine/hope that would be the case. Being a Type 1 diabetic does put him at a higher risk should he contract COVID, but he seems very in tune with his condition, and would perhaps be safer living in the "bubble" in Appleton than home in California.

Appleton's bubble already burst. Outagamie county has been showing some of the biggest growth of the virus recently.

Not surprising when I see the number of people not wearing masks out in public and traveling in packs of people...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 4:42 PM Post
Brewers added INF Brice Turang, LHPs Clayton Andrews, Antoine Kelly, Angel Perdomo and Ethan Small, RHPs Phil Bickford, Dylan File and Trey Supak, OFs Thomas Dillard, Tristen Lutz and Corey Ray and C Mario Feliciano to their 60-man player pool.
All 12 players have been transferred to the team's alternate training site in Appleton, WI. Turang, Lutz, Small and Ray are among the team's top prospects, but among them only Ray has any chance of seeing time in the majors this season.
Jul 9, 2020, 4:35 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 6:18 PM Post
Bickford is my Dark Horse to have some impact this season. Erceg not included is a bit of mystery would think he might have gotten a spot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 6:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
Updated roster includes recent additions in bold.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 1:06 AM Post
Kelley & Dillard are exciting surprises! Must be real high on the two! The rest were all guys I figured would make cut. Erceg is easily the biggest loser. There were such high hopes for him but being in AAA and not even considered for top 60 is rough

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 7:16 AM Post

Roster Guru
a reminder that clubs are limited to trading players only in their 60-man player pools, and all acquisitions must be added to the player pool.

2020 draft picks cannot be traded this year before the 31 august trading deadline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 7:41 AM Post
djoctagone said:
a reminder that clubs are limited to trading players only in their 60-man player pools, and all acquisitions must be added to the player pool.

That is a really interesting note to keep in mind as it means teams kind of need to add "expendable" players to the player pool that they don't mind getting rid of in trades. It makes you wonder how many players (and who) are being added just as potential trade bait options.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 8:06 AM Post
Takeaways:

1. Unless the back injury is still an issue, Miguel Sanchez is the biggest surprise omission for me.

2. While I didn’t see Kelly coming, I should have as he is the definition of a guy who could benefit from more work but unless the Dillard as catcher experiment is restarting, they must be much higher on him than I thought.

3. Pencil Bickford in for a 40-man spot next season

4. The Brewers obviously either view File as the best prospect, most big league ready or both of last year’s AA starting trio (Francis and Bettinger)

5. Heavy prospect focus with the last wave meant minor league vets like Gosewisch and Wilkerson left off

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 8:56 AM Post
MrAllen said:
djoctagone said:

That is a really interesting note to keep in mind as it means teams kind of need to add "expendable" players to the player pool that they don't mind getting rid of in trades. It makes you wonder how many players (and who) are being added just as potential trade bait options.

Very little I’m guessing. There are only 60 games which will keep almost any team in it past the trade deadline (which is the end of August I think...?). It takes one little outbreak in your camp to suddenly need reinforcements fast so they probably care more about putting helpful talent on the roster versus thinking about trades. I’m guessing any player that has control beyond 2020 has almost zero chance of getting traded because their value will be utter trash considering a team can only trade off their 60 man roster.

I’m guessing the trade deadline will kind of suck this year. Not sure how many potential bad teams have decent players that are set to be free agents. Most of those guys were traded in the offseason. Some minor trades will surely happen, but I think you have trade chips by default constructing a 60 man roster you don’t have to go out of your way to add guys for the potential purpose of trading them. That is already 39 guys past the regular MLB active roster and 20 past the 40 man roster. Looking at the Brewers roster it looks exactly how you would expect it to.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
I’m guessing the trade deadline will kind of suck this year. Not sure how many potential bad teams have decent players that are set to be free agents.

I agree that I don’t expect many true rental players to get traded at this year’s deadline. I do think teams may be willing to make deals for players under control through next season or beyond. For instance, the three team trade involving the Reds acquiring Trevor Bauer last year is something I think we could see if some typical non-contending teams look to take a shot in this shortened season while also getting a head start on building their team for next year. Overall though, I also don’t have high hopes for an exciting trade deadline.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 10:10 AM Post
I haven't looked over every team's 60 man roster but if they don't have their top prospects on it, then they can't be traded, and teams aren't likely to trade impact MLB'ers if there's nothing prospect wise to get in return.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 10:16 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I haven't looked over every team's 60 man roster but if they don't have their top prospects on it, then they can't be traded, and teams aren't likely to trade impact MLB'ers if there's nothing prospect wise to get in return.

Couldn't they just make a trade for "a player to be named later"?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 10:19 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Couldn't they just make a trade for "a player to be named later"?

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm guessing that is something we will see a lot of this year, as long as MLB allows it, which I'd imagine they would pretty much have to.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 10:20 AM Post

Roster Guru
djoctagone said:
(the announcement of the miller park summer camp roster) leaves the brewers with two non-roster invitees who were still in major league camp when spring training was suspended who will not working out at miller park:

tuffy gosewisch
aaron wilkerson

both remain candidates to be included in the club's 60-man player pool, like any player in the organization, to work out in grand chute. both have major league experience.

we know now that both have been excluded from the 60-man player pool. as long as they remain in the organization, they can still be added. presumably, both players have been following instructions from the club on how to stay fit and game-ready if need be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 10:36 AM Post

Roster Guru
the player pool stands at 58 players. if spots are needed beyond 60, technically, the club could remove angel perdomo and/or luis urias from the 60-man player pool by formally placing either on the special covid-19 injured list if they each are unable to produce two negative tests in their recovery from positive tests at intake. the brewers may have already exercised this formality.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 10:38 AM Post
Has it been confirmed no PTBNL? Otherwise the rule would just mean those guys couldn’t play for the new team this season.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 121 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply