LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 73 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Fans in the Stands

Offline  Re: Fans in the Stands

Posted: August 25, 2020, 9:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
That's part of my point. They're letting people "renew" and commit to spending right now and most people assume that means they're getting Product A. They may end up being offered Product B. It never says you're guaranteed to get the 20 games you pick, it's subject to availability. It's just never been an issue before.

Any idea what percentage of seats are sold via package compared to single seats? I can imagine that the seats down by the dugouts and behind homeplate are a high percentage of season tickets and/or packages, but otherwise, I'd guess you'd get priority. Then those of us that can only do single tickets would be out of luck (I live too far away for a package deal).

Posted: September 12, 2020, 5:22 PM Post
Well, we have some fans in the stands for college football. I still feel there is an outside shot at fans for the MLB playoffs. As schools are meeting and games are getting played in SOME areas, it is not out of the realm of possibility for MLB. The games are local (no bubble) and are played largely outside. Putting 5 to 10 thousand in a stadium for playoff games, or late round playoff games ala the World Series, would be great.

Posted: September 12, 2020, 9:10 PM Post
Looks like that's out... no WS in Milwaukee.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ml-bs-proposed ... 29642.html

Posted: September 13, 2020, 9:57 AM Post
owbc said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Zero.

Correct answer.

The season is over in 2 months. How long will it take to get the daily case count down to a reasonable number?

The NFL can say whatever they want but the next time there will be fans in the stands in the US will be sometime in early 2021.

It will be late in 2021/early 2022 IMO. It may take that long before most folks are comfortable going to games even if we get a vaccine by January.

Posted: September 13, 2020, 3:07 PM Post
We're talking a few thousand fans.... not 40,000 plus.

Posted: September 13, 2020, 10:46 PM Post
Pugger said:
owbc said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Zero.

Correct answer.

The season is over in 2 months. How long will it take to get the daily case count down to a reasonable number?

The NFL can say whatever they want but the next time there will be fans in the stands in the US will be sometime in early 2021.

It will be late in 2021/early 2022 IMO. It may take that long before most folks are comfortable going to games even if we get a vaccine by January.

I’d be absolutely shocked if there aren’t fans in stands come Spring Training and then opening day next year for MLB. Maybe there will be limits and only a % of capacity and distancing/mask rules still, but I see no way there aren’t fans in MLB stands for the 2021 season. The owners and league need the money first and foremost and it seems like there will be a vaccine, if not they know how to treat the virus better every day, etc. on top of learning how to run things in limited capacity here. College/nfl stands, bars/restaurants, etc. They will allow and have a plan for fans in some capacity next year.

Posted: September 14, 2020, 5:38 AM Post
It seems there is very little interest from the MLB and the teams to have fans in the stands this year. I’d put the odds at 1%...there just doesn’t seem to be interest for such little gain.

Next year I think they will figure out something with more time to plan and of course a long season of games to play. They can watch the test run of the NFL/College right now and not have the chance to be the failure causing a huge local outbreak from a game.

Posted: September 14, 2020, 2:01 PM Post
Yeah, there's just no way that MLB won't at least have some fans in the stands next season. They simply cannot go two straight years with no gate revenue coming in. At some point, people are just going to have to start learning how to live with this virus, and hopefully we'll at least have some type of vaccine circulating by next March/April. I think the big question will be: how many fans will be allowed into the stadium, and what will that look like? Will it be based on each team's location and state/local rules, or will MLB have their own rules for what % of stadiums can be filled next year?

Posted: September 30, 2020, 4:37 PM Post

Roster Guru
fans will be allowed for the nlcs and the world series--both played in arlington, texas. tickets go on sale tuesday.

Posted: September 30, 2020, 5:13 PM Post
Yep. Rick 1, most of the rest of us 0.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... ife-field/

Posted: September 30, 2020, 6:39 PM Post
I doubt we'll get there but I'd certainly consider making the trip to Arlington if we make it. Attending a live game sounds lovely right now.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 9:02 AM Post

Roster Guru
expect mlb to aggressively pursue means of getting fans in the stands in 2021.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 9:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
djoctagone said:
expect mlb to aggressively pursue means of getting fans in the stands in 2021.

Not surprising. I can't imagine MLB would continue in its current state if 2021 played out like 2020. There would be some legal action (bankruptcy?) that would occur before the owners would continue to lose billions while paying players huge salaries.

Thankfully, vaccines should be available in mass quantities around the start of next baseball season, so hopefully we can have a normal season next year. Fingers crossed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Posted: November 12, 2020, 9:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
I don't think next year will be "normal", but I think it will be closer to normal than what we had this year. Yes, yes, RoCo, semantics, but I think we're still going to have a lot of testing for players and fans will still have some sort of restrictions. What this is, I don't know, but I don't think we'll see packed stadiums from the get go.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 10:56 AM Post
The thing for many (heck most) MLB teams is they rarely sell out games. I am pretty sure ESPN attendance stats go off paid attendance and only 13 of MLB teams even average 30k per game and only 18 average at least 25k. This is much different than other sports where 100% capacity is more common.

For MLB teams 50% capacity wouldn't be a huge detriment for attendance sake...the biggest problem teams will likely face is trying to sell tickets for a less than 100% capacity and trying to maximize how many actually show up on gameday. While selling tickets is a big deal there is much more on gameday that helps the bottom line. A 25k fan limit isn't a huge problem, it is the fact they can only sell 25k tickets and then only 10-15k even show up. With such a long season the commitment to actually show up when the day comes always plagues the MLB.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 11:39 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
The thing for many (heck most) MLB teams is they rarely sell out games. I am pretty sure ESPN attendance stats go off paid attendance and only 13 of MLB teams even average 30k per game and only 18 average at least 25k. This is much different than other sports where 100% capacity is more common.

For MLB teams 50% capacity wouldn't be a huge detriment for attendance sake...the biggest problem teams will likely face is trying to sell tickets for a less than 100% capacity and trying to maximize how many actually show up on gameday. While selling tickets is a big deal there is much more on gameday that helps the bottom line. A 25k fan limit isn't a huge problem, it is the fact they can only sell 25k tickets and then only 10-15k even show up. With such a long season the commitment to actually show up when the day comes always plagues the MLB.

For the reasons you laid out, is why I would expect a pretty significant increase in ticket prices from what we saw in 2019. Not sure how much but should be quite a bit. Wisconsin fans should be used to it by now. Packers increase prices basically every year it seems.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 1:20 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I'm craving baseball and want to go to in-person games, but it really depends on the rules, enforcement of the rules, and how many fans they let in. There were a lot of pictures from the World Series suggesting that 10,000 was too many. The knowledge that they are desperate to make money makes me suspicious that they can pull it off. I also expect higher ticket prices but I expect that money to be invested in safety measures.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 1:55 PM Post
I wouldn't expect ticket prices to go up.

1) It is going to send the wrong message to fans.

2) Raising ticket prices does absolutely nothing if you lose demand. Last I checked there wasn't incredible demand for NFL games that fans can go to. Maybe that has changed since I last saw something on it, but people aren't exactly trampling each other to get tickets despite only a fraction of the usual tickets being available.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 3:33 PM Post
I don't think MLB teams will go that route either of raising ticket prices a large amount. Raising ticket prices does do something short term though if the capacity lost is greater than demand lost. I doubt the Brewers would have a problem selling 10,000 tickets. It could bite them in following years however if capacity increases and you turned off a certain portion of you fan base.

Posted: November 14, 2020, 3:48 PM Post
So many people will not be even thinking of coming to a large group whatever. Even with a decent vaccine and better Covid numbers, they are not coming back much in 2021. And that's only partly because of the virus.

Politicized athletes and seemingly more violence in large cities are not giving a welcomed calling card to return either. Moreover, we have gotten into a nine month pattern of staying more at home more for entertainment/food/school/etc, and it's going to take years to break that habit, if it ever does change.

Finally, we are not going to be as eager to drop major coin for attending a game after being witness to 2020. That money will be prioritized for better needs.

Major sports leagues are in for a wake up call.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 73 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply