LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 73 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Fans in the Stands

Offline  Re: Fans in the Stands

Posted: November 14, 2020, 4:17 PM Post
rickh150 said:
So many people will not be even thinking of coming to a large group whatever. Even with a decent vaccine and better Covid numbers, they are not coming back much in 2021. And that's only partly because of the virus.

Politicized athletes and seemingly more violence in large cities are not giving a welcomed calling card to return either. Moreover, we have gotten into a nine month pattern of staying more at home more for entertainment/food/school/etc, and it's going to take years to break that habit, if it ever does change.

Finally, we are not going to be as eager to drop major coin for attending a game after being witness to 2020. That money will be prioritized for better needs.

Major sports leagues are in for a wake up call.

This is a pretty solid take. Much of which I agree with. I know the money normally spent at games, was used for “better” things (home updates, etc).

I think it’s likely though, that they could manage 10,000ish fans 81 times next year. There is still a good portion of society that isn’t all that worried by the virus. I do think the political world entering sports, has done more damage than they will admit.

Posted: November 14, 2020, 5:45 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
What political stuff has entered into sports? Am I missing something?

Posted: November 14, 2020, 8:36 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:

BLM, Kneeling for the anthem, just to name a couple...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: November 14, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
If that counts as politics, then politics has always been around in sports. I remember talking to someone from a different country at a Packers game a few years ago. He could not believe all of the military propaganda going on. (his words, not mine)

Posted: November 14, 2020, 10:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jackie Robinson playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers had some political implications. I wasn't alive then, but I'd imagine there were plenty of people who swore off baseball that very moment, yet it still remains.

Cassius Clay refusing to go to Vietnam was certainly an act of political defiance. Again, I wasn't alive at the time but I'd guess there were more than a few people with choice words for Cassius as a result of said refusal. Maybe some even said they'd never watch boxing again.

Curt Flood had the audacity to challenge the reserve clause. I wasn't alive for this either, but I'd suppose there was some percentage of baseball fans who thought he should just shut up & play ball.

Politics in sports are nothing new & those who have resisted the inevitable tide of change seem to have generally ended up on the wrong side of history in the long run. In an ever evolving world, Billy Beane just might have been onto something, "Adapt or die."

Posted: November 14, 2020, 10:58 PM Post
I've stayed sitting down for the anthem for years because playing it before sporting events is stupid.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Posted: November 15, 2020, 1:03 AM Post
sveumrules said:
Jackie Robinson playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers had some political implications. I wasn't alive then, but I'd imagine there were plenty of people who swore off baseball that very moment, yet it still remains.

Cassius Clay refusing to go to Vietnam was certainly an act of political defiance. Again, I wasn't alive at the time but I'd guess there were more than a few people with choice words for Cassius as a result of said refusal. Maybe some even said they'd never watch boxing again.

Curt Flood had the audacity to challenge the reserve clause. I wasn't alive for this either, but I'd suppose there was some percentage of baseball fans who thought he should just shut up & play ball.

Politics in sports are nothing new & those who have resisted the inevitable tide of change seem to have generally ended up on the wrong side of history in the long run. In an ever evolving world, Billy Beane just might have been onto something, "Adapt or die."

Yep. More than enough people will either support the athletes or just not care to make up for the few who will have a fit and won't attend. As soon as people feel safe they will attend. Honestly given Sturgis, people would attend even if it's not safe if they were allowed to. There is a pent up demand for attending games and returning to normal.

Posted: November 15, 2020, 11:44 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
turborickey said:
JackNicholson1974 said:

Huh. That’s weird. Never in a million years would I have thought those things were political. Im usually taking a leak or buying a beer when the anthem comes on, and unless the guy pouring me the beer stops, I don’t either. People today would have been irate about Jackie Robinson I suppose.

Posted: November 16, 2020, 6:55 AM Post

Roster Guru
JackNicholson1974 said:
turborickey said:
JackNicholson1974 said:

Huh. That’s weird. Never in a million years would I have thought those things were political. Im usually taking a leak or buying a beer when the anthem comes on, and unless the guy pouring me the beer stops, I don’t either. People today would have been irate about Jackie Robinson I suppose.

that's because they're social issues, not political issues.

Online  Re: Fans in the Stands

Posted: November 16, 2020, 7:12 AM Post
Something can be a social issue and a political issue.

Online  Re: Fans in the Stands

Posted: November 16, 2020, 8:16 AM Post
rickh150 said:
So many people will not be even thinking of coming to a large group whatever. Even with a decent vaccine and better Covid numbers, they are not coming back much in 2021. And that's only partly because of the virus.

Politicized athletes and seemingly more violence in large cities are not giving a welcomed calling card to return either. Moreover, we have gotten into a nine month pattern of staying more at home more for entertainment/food/school/etc, and it's going to take years to break that habit, if it ever does change.

Finally, we are not going to be as eager to drop major coin for attending a game after being witness to 2020. That money will be prioritized for better needs.

Major sports leagues are in for a wake up call.

I'm not sure this is how it would play out.

If the Packers opened the flood gates, it's hard for me to see the place not packed for the first game. There are a lot, a LOT of people, who just do not care about this thing in the slightest.

I would expect a dip for less popular teams and teams that play more often, like MLB. I'm sure overall attendance would decrease. But I think there are huge numbers of people chomping at the bit to do things, and some aren't doing them not because of the virus, but because of the restrictions that make these things different.

Posted: November 16, 2020, 9:37 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Something can be a social issue and a political issue.

Everything's political. The implication of much of the "social justice" campaign that all the sports adopted was that the country, especially all Republicans, are closet racists. That's purely political. It wasn't an accident that this occurred in an election year. If you are Republican, you felt it. If you're not, you thought it normal.

Posted: November 16, 2020, 9:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
Oy. Enough of the politics, guys. You know the rules....or maybe you don't. Here is a reminder:

1) From Fan Forum Etiquette:
What kind of discussion is not allowed?

Please keep politics, religion, and sex out of the forum. Fairly or not, these topics have regularly resulted in threads going out of control. Also, please avoid contentious topics such as racial and ethnic issues.
If you're into discussing these topics, we recommend the separate forum Brewerfan Political Scene.

Other notes:

2) Just mentioning a politician doesn't make a post political. I could say "The Brewers haven't been in a World Series since the Reagan era." That is not political. If someone responded, "Man, the Reagan era sucked because...Reagan." That would be political.

3) Politics aren't the only topics to avoid. See #1.

4) Just because people are discussing a contentious topic civilly does not mean the thread will stay open.

5) No one is allowed to talk about Fight Club.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 73 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply