LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corbin Burnes

Offline  Re: Burnes

Posted: September 21, 2020, 1:22 PM Post
This article points this out, but I've noticed how often he works teh cutter/sinker combo down and in to lefties. I mean, that's really not somewhere you want to be messing around to lefties...but it's hilarious how often he perfectly spots that cutter off the inside corner and down to a lefty and they swing and miss. Otherwise, he'll start the sinker inside off the plate and it hits the corner for strike 3 looking. The fact that he went from throwing 2 pitches to throwing 6 pitches over one offseason(extended, but still), is seriously wild. Gotta love that work ethic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 23, 2020, 2:10 PM Post
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 28674?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 23, 2020, 3:09 PM Post
markedman5 said:
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/1308860684416028674?s=21

Hey even a broken clock is right twice a day! Had a feeling this is what was up. Somebody with Burnes’ stuff doesn’t just all of a sudden suck if it wasn’t an injury or something going on in his head.... cool to see this

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Corbin Burnes

Posted: November 12, 2020, 11:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
This FanGraphs article isn't solely focused on Corbin Burnes, but the first several paragraphs are specifically about his pitch mix transformation:

Finding Corbin / By Ben Clemens

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 12, 2020, 12:27 PM Post

Roster Guru
in 2020 cy young balloting, corbin burnes got a 4th place vote and ten 5th place votes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 12, 2020, 2:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
djoctagone said:
in 2020 cy young balloting, corbin burnes got a 4th place vote and ten 5th place votes.

One of the Twitter replies to Hardicourt is that Burnes' total must be the most points a Brewers pitcher has received in 25 years. That seemed crazy to me, so I looked up some years that I figured we would have contending pitchers.

2004: Sheets 1 pt (with a 2.70 ERA/237 IP)
2008: Sabathia 9 pts
2011: Yo 5 pts
2012: Nothing
2018: Hader 4 pts
2019: Corbin 10 pts, Williams 3

I don't know why that is so shocking to me. I feel like we had a number of top of the rotation starters over the years garnered a lot of national attention, but I guess not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 12, 2020, 2:59 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
thebruce44 said:
djoctagone said:

One of the Twitter replies to Hardicourt is that Burnes' total must be the most points a Brewers pitcher has received in 25 years. That seemed crazy to me, so I looked up some years that I figured we would have contending pitchers.

2004: Sheets 1 pt (with a 2.70 ERA/237 IP)
2008: Sabathia 9 pts
2011: Yo 5 pts
2012: Nothing
2018: Hader 4 pts
2019: Corbin 10 pts, Williams 3

I don't know why that is so shocking to me. I feel like we had a number of top of the rotation starters over the years garnered a lot of national attention, but I guess not.

2004 Sheets was such a crime, although the field was crowded that year. At least only one voter was dumb enough to pick 20-game winner Roy Oswalt. It looks like Randy Johnson got badly robbed because the D-backs lost 111 games. If he hadn't thrown a perfect game that year he might have been down with Sheets below the relief pitchers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 12, 2020, 5:19 PM Post
That 2004 season from Sheets was one of the most dominant I ever saw from any Brewer pitcher. It's a shame he never got the credit he deserved.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 12, 2020, 5:30 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
That 2004 season from Sheets was one of the most dominant I ever saw from any Brewer pitcher. It's a shame he never got the credit he deserved.

While 16 years ago doesn't seem that long to me, that was the prehistoric days when W/L record was clearly the best indicator of player/pitcher value. So Sheets didn't have a chance and since most other teams can afford to pay pitchers $40M per as Brewer fans we just have to be happy with 6 and done from now on.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2021, 2:32 PM Post

Roster Guru
the injury that shut down corbin burnes last year was minor. was throwing again less than a month later.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2021, 3:23 PM Post
The CC Sabathia voting was stupid too. He finished 5th because he got massively docked for not being in the NL all year. Which was stupid in itself, but he ended up 6th in MVP voting...the most votes any pitcher got. It gets even more dumb when you see where other NL pitchers ranked in MVP voting:

8th - Brad Lidge (4th in Cy voting)
14th - Johan Santana (3rd in Cy voting)
17th - Brandon Webb (2nd in Cy voting)
23rd - Tim Lincecum (1st in Cy voting)
24th - Jose Valverde (no votes)
No Votes - Ryan Dempster (6th in Cy Voting)

I would have to look, but modern day voting cannot be this stupid. Lincecum won the Cy Young and barely made the MVP vote? His team sucked, yes, but Webb's and Santana's respective team didn't make the postseason either. I thought the voters only hated the winner being on a non postseason team...but jeez 2008 was ruthless.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply