LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Corbin Burnes

Online  Re: Burnes

Posted: September 11, 2020, 4:47 PM Post
markedman5 said:
So is their a difference between a 2 seamer and a cutter? Both move the opposite direction of a slider so I’m a bit confused.

Cutter moves away from same handed hitters, two-seamer moves in to same handed hitters.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Burnes

Posted: September 11, 2020, 5:45 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Lathund said:
markedman5 said:
So is their a difference between a 2 seamer and a cutter? Both move the opposite direction of a slider so I’m a bit confused.

Cutter moves the same direction as a slider. It just harder and with less vertical movement.

Ok....that is what I originally thought but all the stuff I’ve been reading lately got me confused.

2 seamer and sinker are similar then? Both move down and away to a lefty when thrown by a righty?

Correct. Though I believe a sinker has more vertical drop than a 2 seamer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2020, 10:54 AM Post
It is great for a team that had a history of not being able to produce pitchers, now having Woodruff and Burnes leading the rotation.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Misc MLB News

Posted: September 12, 2020, 9:00 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
Burnes is all over the NL leaderboard. Second in k per 9. I think 6th in strikeouts. First in hits allowed for 9 innings and 6th in Whip. Hard to believe he was one of the worst pitchers in the league last year.

Worst results... He got a LOT of offseason press (not just local either) about his skill set. Dude has made quite a turnaround.

Reminds me of how for about 15 years, Roy Halladay had the record for highest ERA in a season (with qualifying innings). Pitchers with good stuff eventually figure it out

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2020, 10:12 PM Post
It's a shame that we weren't able to get a whole season this year. It would've been a more fun year had we seen this version of Burnes since the spring as opposed to later in the summer. I'm also curious as to how his numbers would end up looking over a full season as opposed to half a season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 7:56 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
It is great for a team that had a history of not being able to produce pitchers, now having Woodruff and Burnes leading the rotation.

This is one of the reasons I think we need to take the universal view of our farm system as hot garbage (thanks Brett Anderson) with a grain of salt. I understand Burnes and Woodruff had some prospect notoriety but I think both have surpassed expectations of in terms of where their true upside resides.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 8:16 AM Post
Manty Brewer Fan said:
balsamlaker said:

This is one of the reasons I think we need to take the universal view of our farm system as hot garbage (thanks Brett Anderson) with a grain of salt. I understand Burnes and Woodruff had some prospect notoriety but I think both have surpassed expectations of in terms of where their true upside resides.

I'm sure the Braves would love to have Woodruff and Burnes in their rotation, rather than the hot garbage their vaunted and overly-hyped minor league system has produced.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 9:40 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Manty Brewer Fan said:
balsamlaker said:

I'm sure the Braves would love to have Woodruff and Burnes in their rotation, rather than the hot garbage their vaunted and overly-hyped minor league system has produced.

Like Max Fried, Mike Soroka and Ian Anderson? I would gladly take that hot garbage off their hands.

Toussaint has been a disappointment, but you're going to have some of those in any system both as position players and pitchers. I'm fairly certain Orlando Arcia was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball at one time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:18 AM Post
adambr2 said:

Like Max Fried, Mike Soroka and Ian Anderson? I would gladly take that hot garbage off their hands.

Toussaint has been a disappointment, but you're going to have some of those in any system both as position players and pitchers. I'm fairly certain Orlando Arcia was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball at one time.

They got Fried in a terrible deal with the Padres for Justin Upton. He was the 7th overall selection. Good trade for the Braves, but I don't know if they deserve the credit for developing a guy who was already a blue-chipper. Soroka and Anderson are solid prospects (as 1st round pitchers should be), but they are FAR from the only pitchers that system has had that have been hyped up over the years (Sean Newcomb, Julio Teheran, Kyle Wright, Luiz Gohara, Kolby Allard ... others as well).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:26 AM Post
adambr2 said:

They got Fried in a terrible deal with the Padres for Justin Upton. He was the 7th overall selection. Good trade for the Braves, but I don't know if they deserve the credit for developing a guy who was already a blue-chipper.

They got him when he was in A ball. Of course they deserve credit.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:34 AM Post
trwi7 said:
adambr2 said:

They got Fried in a terrible deal with the Padres for Justin Upton. He was the 7th overall selection. Good trade for the Braves, but I don't know if they deserve the credit for developing a guy who was already a blue-chipper.

They got him when he was in A ball. Of course they deserve credit.

They get credit for not (yet) messing up a guy who was considered a can't-miss pitching prospect. Gotcha.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 10:55 AM Post
They get credit for not (yet) messing up a guy who was considered a can't-miss pitching prospect. Gotcha.

There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect. If there was the Braves would have a rotation full of at minimum #3 starters. The Brewers would have Corey Ray in the outfield and they wouldn't have made the trade for Urias because Arcia would have shortstop locked down.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 11:07 AM Post
trwi7 said:

There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect. If there was the Braves would have a rotation full of at minimum #3 starters. The Brewers would have Corey Ray in the outfield and they wouldn't have made the trade for Urias because Arcia would have shortstop locked down.

That is true, but when a pitcher is drafted #7 overall, it would be considered a major failure if he were to not develop into an upper-rotation starter. I know, plenty have flamed out over the years. But unless Fried develops into a #2-#1-type, it's going to be very hard for him to meet expectations.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 11:15 AM Post
trwi7 said:

That is true, but when a pitcher is drafted #7 overall, it would be considered a major failure if he were to not develop into an upper-rotation starter. I know, plenty have flamed out over the years. But unless Fried develops into a #2-#1-type, it's going to be very hard for him to meet expectations.

Ian Anderson
Riley Pint
A.J. Puk
Braxton Garrett
Dillon Tate
Tyler Jay
Brady Aiken
Tyler Kolek
Carlos Rodon
Aaron Nola
Mark Appel
Jon Gray
Kohl Stewart
Trey Ball
Kevin Gausman
Kyle Zimmer
Max Fried
Gerrit Cole
Danny Hultzen
Trevor Bauer
Dylan Bundy
Archie Bradley
Jameson Taillon
Drew Pomeranz
Barret Loux
Matt Harvey
Stephen Strasburg
Matt Hobgood
Zack Wheeler
Mike Minor
Brian Matusz
David Price
Daniel Moskos
Ross Detwiler

Those are pitchers drafted between 1 and 7 between 2007 and 2016. How many of them turned into "upper-rotation starters?"

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 11:26 AM Post
trwi7 said:

Ian Anderson
Riley Pint
A.J. Puk
Braxton Garrett
Dillon Tate
Tyler Jay
Brady Aiken
Tyler Kolek
Carlos Rodon
Aaron Nola
Mark Appel
Jon Gray
Kohl Stewart
Trey Ball
Kevin Gausman
Kyle Zimmer
Max Fried
Gerrit Cole
Danny Hultzen
Trevor Bauer
Dylan Bundy
Archie Bradley
Jameson Taillon
Drew Pomeranz
Barret Loux
Matt Harvey
Stephen Strasburg
Matt Hobgood
Zack Wheeler
Mike Minor
Brian Matusz
David Price
Daniel Moskos
Ross Detwiler

Those are pitchers drafted between 1 and 7 between 2007 and 2016. How many of them turned into "upper-rotation starters?"

Not as many as probably should have. And those who haven't, for the most part, are considered major disappointments. A few have remade themselves as relievers and have managed to recoup some value. I'd say of all those guys, the ones who have managed to meet expectations of being that high of a pick include Price, Minor (barely--he's another Braves pitcher that hasn't lived up to expectations), Wheeler, Strasburg, Harvey (for a little while at least), Bauer, Cole and Nola. Of course the jury is still out on several of those guys as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 11:45 AM Post
This is an awesome turn around by Burnes but the article below gives some more insight on what the Brewers and Burnes did this off season. Some credit needs to be given to Hook.

https://www.mlb.com/news/corbin-burnes- ... -candidate

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 7:47 PM Post
I apologize if this was already mentioned...

Perhaps his Lasik surgery was a major contributor, too...
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2020/02/15/no-goggles-brewers-pitcher-corbin-burnes-who-had-lasik-surgery/4760317002/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2020, 9:43 PM Post
Global Moderator
Samurai Bucky said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2020/02/15/no-goggles-brewers-pitcher-corbin-burnes-who-had-lasik-surgery/4760317002/

I was wondering what happened to his glasses....

But its time to trade him. He gave up a run today... [sad] [rolling eyes] [tongue]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 15, 2020, 10:53 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Samurai Bucky said:

I was wondering what happened to his glasses....

But its time to trade him. He gave up a run today... [sad] [rolling eyes] [tongue]

Nah, who would even take a scrub like him? Clearly we have no choice but to DFA him

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2020, 8:16 PM Post
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 71619?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 71 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply