LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 DH (Pending)

Offline  Re: 2021 DH (Pending)

Posted: October 22, 2020, 9:28 AM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Huira may be the long term DH, but I would be fine with Braun being the DH next year. I want nothing to do with Vogelbach. Get a real 1B. Maybe Gyrko is that guy, I dont know. But 1b needs to be addressed first and foremost. Some combination of Braun and Hiura can handle DH. Urias can bounce between SS and 2b. Gyrko between 3b and 1b, but I would look to add a legit 1b. With that said, I have no idea who is available.

I believe getting a good, solid 3B should be first on Stearns' mind. He needs to address 3B and then 1B. Firstbasemen are easier to fill in than a legit thirdbaseman. Gyorko is a career .245/.310 hitter and not the solution at either 1B or 3B. He's a good bench player who could also DH. Urias' bat is far to weak to be considered at 3B. If CC is considering moving Hiura off 2B next year, they should try him at 1B and if he fails then DH. See if Vogelbach can be the everyday DH, cut Braun and use the $11M to find a thirdbaseman.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 22, 2020, 9:37 AM Post
RollieTime said:
I would gladly bring Braun back if it’s for a few million.

But if we are discussing free agent options, then Castellanos is a guy to keep an eye on. I think it’s time to lock in an All-Star bat with Yelich and Hiura and Castellanos is one that won’t break the bank and would be a perfect guy in the 4 hole behind Yelich.

Marcell Ozuna would be a nice option to look at as well. He’s having a nice season and is still young where if you gave him a 3 or 4 year deal, it wouldn’t hurt you long term since he won’t be an aging player on a long contract.

If Stearns had Dodger, cub, Yankee type money I'd be all in on Castellanos or Ozuna. Unfortunately neither is anywhere close to affordable for Stearns. Castellanos is looking for a $16-20M per year contract. Ozuna was scheduled to make $18M in 2020 and will be looking for similar money. Both would break the bank for a team looking to cut payroll.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 22, 2020, 5:19 PM Post
wntrtxn21 said:
Firstbasemen are easier to fill in than a legit thirdbaseman.

People always say 1B is easy to fill, yet here we are. It's been like this since Prince left.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 22, 2020, 5:24 PM Post
LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune hears that "as of now, the DH will be AL-only next season."

Neal notes that "the union and MLB would have to expand it to both leagues through bargaining," and the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) runs through the end of the 2021 campaign. It certainly seems like a possibility that the two parties could figure something out with the DH rule independent of the CBA, as they did this year amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, but there isn't much clarity as to how those negotiations might be conducted. This is an urgent issue with hot stove season fast approaching.

SOURCE: LaVelle E. Neal III on Twitter
Oct 22, 2020, 1:52 PM ET

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 22, 2020, 6:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
wntrtxn21 said:
Firstbasemen are easier to fill in than a legit thirdbaseman.

People always say 1B is easy to fill, yet here we are. It's been like this since Prince left.

From 2012-15 (post-Prince, pre-Stearns) our 1B posted a 90 wRC+, 29th in MLB. Outside of Adam Lind (553 PAs, 115 wRC+) & Corey Hart (416 PAs, 123 wRC+) it was pretty ugly.

From 2016-19 (Stearns era, pre-COVID) our 1B posted a 119 wRC+, 9th in MLB (tied with the Rays).

Sure, they were only 18th this year with a 101 wRC+ in a shortened season, but for the four full seasons before that Stearns & company filled 1B more than capably with minimal financial investment.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 22, 2020, 7:24 PM Post
sveumrules said:
From 2016-19 (Stearns era, pre-COVID) our 1B posted a 119 wRC+, 9th in MLB (tied with the Rays).

It's amazing how people think that Thames and Aguilar were terrible, and don't remember that, for all of his strikeouts, Chris Carter had a .821 OPS (and wRC+ of 113, and hit 41 HRs).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
sveumrules said:

It's amazing how people think that Thames and Aguilar were terrible, and don't remember that, for all of his strikeouts, Chris Carter had a .821 OPS (and wRC+ of 113, and hit 41 HRs).

I like Thames, Aguilar and Carter, but they had "warts" including being butchers in the field. Thames and Carter were both let go because the money the Brewers would have had to pay them would have been more than they were worth, and they both signed contracts elsewhere for less than the Brewers would have had to pay them. Aguilar was just having a really bad season, so they traded him away as he was hurting them in a playoff run.

The Brewers have several holes to fill, the most notable to me being 1st and 3rd base. It may make sense to put more emphasis on 3B, but it would be nice to have long-term solutions at either or both of these positions. I don't know if we have the resources to make it happen, and I don't want to fill one hole by opening another, but the corner IF spots should be their point of emphasis.

To the topic of DH, it would hurt to have one more year of no DH before instituting the DH in the new CBA. I would think that would mean that one of Arcia, Urias or Hiura should be traded when we could probably use them in 2022. Arcia seems to be the most obvious choice of the three, but if Hiura nets us a long-term solution at 3B, then we could move Urias to 2B and keep Arcia at SS.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 4:59 PM Post
monty57 said:
I like Thames, Aguilar and Carter, but they had "warts" including being butchers in the field.

If they had "warts", then what did the 21 teams with a worse wRC+ at 1B over those years have?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 6:05 PM Post
As I recall Prince was kind of a butcher in the field as well.......difference obviously is that when you post consistently good to great offensive numbers the warts on defense tend to be forgotten.......

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 10:12 PM Post
markedman5 said:
As I recall Prince was kind of a butcher in the field as well.......difference obviously is that when you post consistently good to great offensive numbers the warts on defense tend to be forgotten.......

That’s a huge understatement. I wonder if MLB has seen a worse regular right side of the infield than Weeks and Fielder. Both were well below average. Not only were they bad, but the numbers probably fail to fully quantify it since their defense led to the other players having inflated error totals.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 24, 2020, 6:26 AM Post
DHonks said:
markedman5 said:

That’s a huge understatement. I wonder if MLB has seen a worse regular right side of the infield than Weeks and Fielder. Both were well below average. Not only were they bad, but the numbers probably fail to fully quantify it since their defense led to the other players having inflated error totals.

We had Betancourt and McGehee on the left side too! And people wonder why Kameron Loe blew games sometimes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 9:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
monty57 said:
I like Thames, Aguilar and Carter, but they had "warts" including being butchers in the field.

If they had "warts", then what did the 21 teams with a worse wRC+ at 1B over those years have?

wRC+ is an offensive stat. In the sentence you quoted, I said "including being butchers in the field."

As I said, I like those guys, and they filled a role on the team. First base is always going to be an offense-first position, but a poor-fielding first baseman makes your whole infield defense worse, so it would be nice to find someone at first base who can hit and field. I understand that those guys get expensive, but my ideal offseason would be one in which Stearns could find at least one solid corner IF (hitting and defense).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2020, 1:10 PM Post

Roster Guru
turborickey said:
Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that players want to keep the universal designated hitter for 2021, but owners want them to agree to keep the expanded playoffs for the 2021 season in exchange.

Passan adds that "players don't find that to be a particularly equitable trade" and that "some executives believe the universal DH will stick around, even if the MLBPA doesn't agree to the expanded playoffs." A decision on whether to keep the DH in the National League next season would seemingly have to be made relatively early in the offseason, as teams need to plan accordingly.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
Nov 4, 2020, 4:51 PM ET

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2020, 6:05 PM Post
Buster Olney of ESPN writes that the universal designated hitter being used in 2021 is a "safe bet."

The DH spot is currently set to be used only in the AL in 2021, but Olney believes that will change "unless the MLB and players' union animus erupts to the point of complete dysfunction." Olney's colleague, Jeff Passan, reported previously that owners want to keep the expanded playoffs in exchange for the universal DH sticking around, although some executives told him they think there will be a universal DH regardless of whether the MLBPA agrees to expanded playoffs or not. The consensus is that the universal DH will almost surely be part of the new CBA which will be negotiated next offseason, and it wouldn't seem to make much sense to have a one-year gap without it before it becomes a permanent fixture.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
Nov 8, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 4:25 PM Post

Roster Guru
raise your hand if you're frustrated that the universal designated hitter hasn't been confirmed yet for 2021.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 10:51 PM Post
djoctagone said:
raise your hand if you're frustrated that the universal designated hitter hasn't been confirmed yet for 2021.

Not me. I like seeing pitchers try to hit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2020, 3:05 AM Post
I prefer no DH as well, but now that we've had a year of the DH and roster moves have been made accordingly, and it seems almost certain it will be implemented in the new CBA after this season, it seems silly to not have it in 2021 as well. Either way, DH or no DH, it needs to be announced officially soon.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2021 DH (Pending)

Posted: November 20, 2020, 8:43 AM Post
I don't really like the DH, but I hate the difference between the two leagues more. It is one of the dumbest things in sports that the two leagues somehow have a HUGE rule difference. How it has gone this long like that is incredibly....dumb.

The DH would obviously never get removed from the AL so lets just move on already and make the DH universal. Seems obvious to figure out a way to get it in for 2021, make all parties happy, and move on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2020, 8:49 AM Post
If pitchers had any interest in being competent hitters, I'd be fine with keeping the DH out of the NL but it has become just too much of a joke watching the pitchers look like Henry Rowengartner.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 20, 2020, 9:49 AM Post
I was always an opponent to the DH, until the Jimmy Nelson incident! Bring it back and make it permanent.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 87 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply