LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Stearns Rumored to be Promoted to Club President?

Offline  Re: Stearns Rumored to be Promoted to Club President?

Posted: November 17, 2020, 3:42 PM Post
brewers888 said:
I didn't intend to bring this to the board until this thread popped up. Attanasio probably caught wind of the Mets interest and is trying to be proactive to keep Stearns happy. This is the one job that has always had the potential to interest Stearns.

We can all laugh at how inept the Mets have mostly been the last few years but Cohen has the opportunity to change that perception very quickly. If approved he will immediately be the richest owner in the sport and he intends to spend it.

This is Stearns childhood team and it just may be his dream job. With a budget that will surely be at least twice the Brewers budget and it being home its easy to see the potential appeal. I'm not saying this is a done deal by any stretch but it has the potental to happen.

Wait...what did you "bring to the board?"

Isn't this all kinda common knowledge? I think everyone's aware he grew up a Mets fan and people have been talking about him potentially going to the Mets for several years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 17, 2020, 6:44 PM Post
Done deal?

The Brewers denied the request so yeah it’s a done deal......as in done deal it’s not happening.

Smh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 17, 2020, 8:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
This is pretty ideal for Stearns.

He's in a job that he presumably likes, and he's young enough to be an attractive commodity for years to come. It might be good to see exactly what kind of boss Steve Cohen is going to be. He could be like Arte Moreno and burn through front office guys left and right. He might want to make a big splash early and then blow it up if it doesn't work.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Stearns wind up there at some point in the future. But maybe let someone else deal with Cohen first as he plays with his new shiny toy.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Stearns Rumored to be Promoted to Club President?

Posted: November 18, 2020, 3:36 PM Post
I just got sent an email from a source that's been reliable in the past that Stearns is leaving Milwaukee. I realize they denied his Mets interview but this person says it is done and will be announced later.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 3:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I just got sent an email from a source that's been reliable in the past that Stearns is leaving Milwaukee. I realize they denied his Mets interview but this person says it is done and will be announced later.

Well that would certainly be unfortunate for the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 3:57 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

This year has sucked so much already, why not add that to the pile? 2020: Brewers lose most capable GM in organization's history after giving mega-deal to former mvp, who proceeded to have his worst year as a professional hitter. That all checks out.

Grab your hats and your booties, kids, because its going to be a cooooooooold winter...

EDIT: Update from Snapper below—maybe Stearns stays?

Last edited by Harvey'sWBs on November 19, 2020, 11:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals and Cubs, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 3:59 PM Post
I have no details other than what I said. With that said, source has hit on these in the past:

Bucks new uniforms
MP name change
Fiserv Forum name

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 4:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
Matt Arnold step on up.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 4:41 PM Post
If this does indeed come to fruition which would be incredibly disappointing I would give the GM job to Ray Montgomery who has a sterling reputation in scouting and drafted both Woodruff and Burnes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 4:48 PM Post
Just want to clarify something I messed up. The actual text of the email only says this: "Brewers have a new GM; sorry can't say more, will be announced later." I'm glad I didn't make a new thread because that is quite a potentially big difference from what I said. Sorry for whiffing on the interpretation.

Last edited by OldSchoolSnapper on November 18, 2020, 4:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 4:49 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I have no details other than what I said. With that said, source has hit on these in the past:

Bucks new uniforms
MP name change
Fiserv Forum name

Those all seem like things a source on the business/marketing side of things would be in a great position to find out and leak. Not sure that necessarily means they would have advance knowledge on the sporting side of things. But we'll see.

EDIT: Posted while I was writing the above
Just want to clarify something I messed up. The actual text of the email only says this: "Brewers have a new GM; sorry can't say more, will be announced later." I'm glad I didn't make a new thread because that is quite a potentially big difference from what I said.

Ah well that doesn't have to mean Stearns is gone; he's the President of Baseball Operations and the GM. Could simply mean that Matt Arnold (or someone else) is officially the new GM.

Or it could mean DS is gone, but I don't want that so I'll cling to a more positive outcome.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 18, 2020, 6:42 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Just want to clarify something I messed up. The actual text of the email only says this: "Brewers have a new GM; sorry can't say more, will be announced later." I'm glad I didn't make a new thread because that is quite a potentially big difference from what I said. Sorry for whiffing on the interpretation.

Stearns is pres of baseball ops, so they are probably giving Arnold the GM title.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 5:39 AM Post
I’ve kind of assumed this whole time the fact Arnold was searching for a true GM gig was the reason he wasn’t promoted right away. Would be weird to promote him and then have him leave weeks later. If his search wasn’t successful then I’d imagine it is time to give him the promotion.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 12:28 PM Post
What exactly would a promotion to GM for Arnold even mean? A little pay raise and some title inflation? All these levels of management the organizations are creating is getting ridiculous. I look forward to the day that the Executive CEO & President of Baseball Operations is the guy who does the clubhouse laundry.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 1:28 PM Post
https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/1329506492135968768

Lesson learned...Never doubt Snapper's source.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 1:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Well he was right.

https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/1329506492135968768

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 1:30 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
What exactly would a promotion to GM for Arnold even mean? A little pay raise and some title inflation? All these levels of management the organizations are creating is getting ridiculous. I look forward to the day that the Executive CEO & President of Baseball Operations is the guy who does the clubhouse laundry.

I have watched that very thing develop more and more over the past 30 years in organizations and corporations. The only conclusion that I can come up with, is that executive management create additional levels of executive management so when things go wrong, there are more people to point the finger at and deflect blame to them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 1:31 PM Post
We need Snapper in the trade rumors thread ASAP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 1:56 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

It has to do with the contracts they sign and the rules around hiring from other teams when it is a lateral move versus a promotion. Teams can't stop other teams from interviewing for a Assistant GM for a GM position but they can stop them from interviewing a GM. Unless they fire Schlesinger they can't promote Stearns any more.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 2:00 PM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

This year has sucked so much already, why not add that to the pile? 2020: Brewers lose most capable GM in organization's history after giving mega-deal to former mvp, who proceeded to have his worst year as a professional hitter. That all checks out.

Grab your hats and your booties, kids, because its going to be a cooooooooold winter...

EDIT: Update from Snapper below—maybe Stearns stays?

EDIT 2: Yup, good call. Disregard my above expression of rank pessimism as I return to normal levels of general melancholic fandom.

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals and Cubs, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply