LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 Brewers Budget

Offline  2021 Brewers Budget

Posted: November 01, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
Brewers axed their social media department today. Considering all the unique content they put together, this may be another indication that the Brewers will be running lean moving into next season.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 Brewers Budget

Posted: November 01, 2020, 10:21 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Brewers axed their social media department today. Considering all the unique content they put together, this may be another indication that the Brewers will be running lean moving into next season.
"Running Lean" is a nice way to put it!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2020, 10:49 PM Post
That seems like a really terrible place to try to save a buck. How much is the social media budget, a couple hundred thousand? Particularly in this day and age with a continuing failure to reach a younger generation of fans this does not seem like a move that is going to help that problem.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 5:33 AM Post
Agreed. Social media was one of the areas i thought the brewers excelled at, given the market they're in

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
PrinceFielderx1 Said:
If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 6:56 AM Post
I'll second that. That team did a great job.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 9:23 AM Post
Bummer for Cait. I have talked to her a few times at visiting ball parks briefly and she was super nice and she is very very good at what she does. Although as awesome as her videos were they never seemed to truly go viral. Shortly after her Sandlot video I listened to two different podcasts about that movie with "sports" people involved and the parody was not brought up.

I've often wondered if social media moves the needle at all. It keeps the people that are already engaged engaged but does it find new customers? Are there ever going to be customers again? The current Corona Virus sweeping Europe is different than the one here which they are hoping that the vaccine that is coming early next year is going to be 50 percent successful against so that vaccine will be even less successful as the virus mutates. If the agenda is going to be the virus is too dangerous to risk crowds sports may be done as we know them. If I owned a sports team I would be thinking about selling.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 10:48 AM Post
I think this has more to do with them feeling the social media department brings little to no value versus a rapid panic to cut costs anywhere available.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 12:49 PM Post
Dean Machine said:
Bummer for Cait. I have talked to her a few times at visiting ball parks briefly and she was super nice and she is very very good at what she does. Although as awesome as her videos were they never seemed to truly go viral. Shortly after her Sandlot video I listened to two different podcasts about that movie with "sports" people involved and the parody was not brought up.

I've often wondered if social media moves the needle at all. It keeps the people that are already engaged engaged but does it find new customers? Are there ever going to be customers again? The current Corona Virus sweeping Europe is different than the one here which they are hoping that the vaccine that is coming early next year is going to be 50 percent successful against so that vaccine will be even less successful as the virus mutates. If the agenda is going to be the virus is too dangerous to risk crowds sports may be done as we know them. If I owned a sports team I would be thinking about selling.

From the standpoint of someone that studied science and specifically biology/physiology, there are so many things that are wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin. This is how misinformation spreads.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 12:57 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
I'm going to guess for now it's borne of MUST CUT ALL THE COSTS and not "who needs social media in the 2020s?" Either way, it's bad news. [sad]

Makes me wonder if the ticket rep staff will be next - perhaps not eliminated but maybe scaled way back.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 1:10 PM Post
hawing said:
I'm going to guess for now it's borne of MUST CUT ALL THE COSTS and not "who needs social media in the 2020s?" Either way, it's bad news. [sad]

Makes me wonder if the ticket rep staff will be next - perhaps not eliminated but maybe scaled way back

My SSH rep is pretty low on the totem pole, like the bottom, and they brought him back a month or so ago after being gone all season. I am guessing that is a sign they probably aren't going to dump too many (if any). They probably need the manpower with how next season is going to likely be. There will probably be fans and it will probably be one mess to deal with.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 2:06 PM Post
I'm sure there are independent firms that provide "social media services" and it's better for a team's bottom line to simply contract for these services than to have the expenses involved in producing the content, travel expenses, etc. plus the associated costs (healthcare, 401(k) etc.) for the workers on the payroll doing the social media posts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 8:11 PM Post
hawing said:
Either way, it's bad news. [sad]

I have no idea how much the Brewers were spending on the social media team, but it has to be peanuts compared to an average MLB player's salary. This is not a good sign at all. Granted, every penny counts, but it takes A LOT of cuts like this to make up one Eric Sogard. I'm very nervous for what the 2021 team will be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 02, 2020, 9:27 PM Post
mtrebs said:
hawing said:

I have no idea how much the Brewers were spending on the social media team, but it has to be peanuts compared to an average MLB player's salary. This is not a good sign at all. Granted, every penny counts, but it takes A LOT of cuts like this to make up one Eric Sogard. I'm very nervous for what the 2021 team will be.

How do we know for sure it was cost-related, though? Perhaps they just decided to go in a different direction?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2020, 5:53 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
mtrebs said:
hawing said:

How do we know for sure it was cost-related, though? Perhaps they just decided to go in a different direction?

We don’t, but it would seem odd to do a 180 since their social media team was held in such high regards by many people.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2020, 9:06 AM Post
mtrebs said:
hawing said:

If you have been paying attention this has been the effect of the shortened season with no fans, teams have been shrinking their non-player personnel and costs. These type of contractions do not affect wins and losses on the field and are apparently much more palatable than dropping talent from the roster and going from a playoff contender to an also ran.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2020, 10:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
Jopal78! said:
mtrebs said:
hawing said:

If you have been paying attention this has been the effect of the shortened season with no fans, teams have been shrinking their non-player personnel and costs. These type of contractions do not affect wins and losses on the field and are apparently much more palatable than dropping talent from the roster and going from a playoff contender to an also ran.

Plus players signed a guaranteed contract prior to the season, so the team had to pay them even if they cut them. Other employees probably didn't have that guarantee. Like it or not, when a business has no revenues, employees are going to be let go. If baseball were to go with no fans again next season, you could see some teams filing for bankruptcy. As far as payroll, the teams have to gamble as to whether or not they're willing to bet on having fans in the stands next year. Teams willing to take the risk could get good deals on players next year, but if they're wrong they'll be stuck paying salaries with limited revenues.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2020, 8:42 AM Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sophia get hired into the social media area, along with broadcasting duties?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2020, 3:15 PM Post
Jopal78! said:
mtrebs said:
hawing said:

Sure, but the point is, if the team is cutting these types of personnel to minimize expenses, it likely doesn’t bode well for the player expenses as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2020, 1:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Pfizer's vaccine news today sure helps. It would seem a lot more likely that we'll have full stadiums next year if there's a vaccine available.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 09, 2020, 5:43 PM Post
Brewers hired a new Director of Digital Marketing in March and it looks like the new marketing job posts fall under her. Seems like a change in direction from Brewers than a real cost cutting move.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply