LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Posted: December 22, 2020, 7:26 PM Post
I mean I guess I'll have to switch back to cable if it's still like this for Brewer season. I can live with streaming a Bucks game now and again if I really want to watch one but I've got to have a Brewer game on TV.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 22, 2020, 8:58 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Finally, I would think an easy temporary solution would be for YTTV/Hulu to just charge a monthly fee of $5.99 for the RSN, like they do with lots of other channels/packages. Why would Sinclair want to pass up the revenue, and why would YTTV want to lose subscriptions when this seems to be a pretty simple solution?

If YTTV offered FSN at a rate somewhere in the $5-$10 per month range I would gladly pay it. But I'm not giving up YTTV and going back to cable just for Brewers games. I don't follow basketball so thankfully missing Bucks games is not a problem for me. If YTTV doesn't offer FSN at all I will not be watching the Brewers on TV. Since I will have MLB.tv I'll still have lots of baseball to watch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 22, 2020, 9:02 PM Post
Yeah, have to think this is all coming to a head soon. I live in Iowa, which is claimed by 6 (!) teams as being "in-market." You cannot get FS Wisconsin except through a DirecTV add-on. It's nuts.

And even folks with cable are losing their RSNs because of reall high subscriber fees. Baseball is regional sport, but it' a very nationalized telecom economy, and something will have to give here, if not this year, then I have to think next. I love the Brewers, but I'm not paying an extra 50/month for them when MLB audio is 20/yr.

Teams owning their own content is going to happen, I would think.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 8:25 AM Post
Axman59 said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Finally, I would think an easy temporary solution would be for YTTV/Hulu to just charge a monthly fee of $5.99 for the RSN, like they do with lots of other channels/packages. Why would Sinclair want to pass up the revenue, and why would YTTV want to lose subscriptions when this seems to be a pretty simple solution?

If YTTV offered FSN at a rate somewhere in the $5-$10 per month range I would gladly pay it. But I'm not giving up YTTV and going back to cable just for Brewers games. I don't follow basketball so thankfully missing Bucks games is not a problem for me. If YTTV doesn't offer FSN at all I will not be watching the Brewers on TV. Since I will have MLB.tv I'll still have lots of baseball to watch.

Just couldn't do that, jus couldn't...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 8:55 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
If the pandemic has showed me anything, it’s that a life without watching live sports is quite fine with me. I switched to YTTV from Charter and I will never go back. I frankly do not want YTTV to cave to Sinclair. I’m dug in.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 10:54 AM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
If the pandemic has showed me anything, it’s that a life without watching live sports is quite fine with me. I switched to YTTV from Charter and I will never go back. I frankly do not want YTTV to cave to Sinclair. I’m dug in.

Not watching sports wasn't too bad when sports wasn't happening, but I'd have a harder time not watching sports if I knew it was going on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 1:20 PM Post
MrAllen said:
JackNicholson1974 said:

Not watching sports wasn't too bad when sports wasn't happening, but I'd have a harder time not watching sports if I knew it was going on.

Absolutely this^

I missed watching sports, but knowing there was nothing to watch made it easier...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 2:17 PM Post
When we moved into our new house in 2015 we had DirecTV, then in 2018 we decided enough was enough with cable and we cut the cord and went to Sling and an antenna. Then in 2019 when Sling was dropping FSWI we switched to YouTube TV (even though quite a bit more than Sling I was find with it since they had FSWI). Then wen YouTube TV announced after the 2020 season they were dropping FSWI we were about to switch to Hulu Live until they dropped FSWI as well. So we decided to go back to Sling since they are the cheapest and we still get all the other channels we like (I refuse to go back to cable Spectrum or DirecTV). At this point hoping some day Sling brings back FSWI, and if not I guess I will only see Brewers games broadcast on Fox, FS1 and TBS. I will be a radio listener for all other games. And as a season seat holder hopefully get to see some home games in person at some point in 2021. I will have MLB.TV as well for other games. Just all around disappointing that Sinclair and these providers can't come to terms. I would be willing to pay that extra $5-$10 per month just to have FSWI.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 3:31 PM Post
Agree with all the other posters who would pay 5-10 extra for just FSWI. Inthink there are plenty of people like that out there.

Shows a big problem with the business model when when your audience wants the product, but you can't sell it to them because you want to leverage other content onto them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 4:04 PM Post
we have no idea how much Sinclair gets per subscriber. If there isn't that much demand as has been said by other members, then I do not think it would make sense for Sinclair to have a streaming service. If they get 2 dollars per subscriber, you would need 40% of current cable and streaming users to signs up for 5 dollars and 20% for 10. Also as a streaming service you could cancel after baseball season, so the user would pay only half the time.

Its still confusing for me, why both parties can't come up on a reasonable deal. The benefit for Sinclair is that they would be guaranteed a monthly payment for every user no matter if they watch their channel or not. If ESPN / FS1 can reach deals, I don't think the issue is hulu / google.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 4:49 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Before streaming services were a thing, presumably a company like Sinclair could sell their package to the local cable company, collect one fee, and that’s it. Now they could sell to charter, direct tv, DISH, YTTV, Hulu, sling, FUBO, Prime, etc etc.

You might think with all of those contracts they could sell it cheaper to each company and still make more than they did 20 years ago

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 5:02 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Before streaming services were a thing, presumably a company like Sinclair could sell their package to the local cable company, collect one fee, and that’s it. Now they could sell to charter, direct tv, DISH, YTTV, Hulu, sling, FUBO, Prime, etc etc.

You might think with all of those contracts they could sell it cheaper to each company and still make more than they did 20 years ago

Funny how that works. I’d think a garbage deal with every streaming service would be better than one solo subscription service they do themselves.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 23, 2020, 8:31 PM Post
I mean on the bright side, maybe missing most of the Bucks season will be a good thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 24, 2020, 12:28 AM Post
I'm a big sports fan so I will make sure I get to watch the Brewers this season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 24, 2020, 8:14 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
I mean on the bright side, maybe missing most of the Bucks season will be a good thing.

I guess if you don't like championship level teams then sure. We follow the Brewers though so maybe there is some truth in that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 25, 2020, 8:31 AM Post
Outlander said:
SomewhereInTime said:

I guess if you don't like championship level teams then sure. We follow the Brewers though so maybe there is some truth in that.

Championship regular season, yes. Unfortunately in the NBA the regular season is the equivalent of spring training in baseball or pre-season in football. Counsell's Brewers will win a World Series before the Bucks ever win an NBA title again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 25, 2020, 8:36 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
Outlander said:
SomewhereInTime said:

Championship regular season, yes. Unfortunately in the NBA the regular season is the equivalent of spring training in baseball or pre-season in football. Counsell's Brewers will win a World Series before the Bucks ever win an NBA title again.

Which is the same thing people said about the Dodgers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 25, 2020, 10:16 AM Post
I have Spectrum after dropping Dish mid contract. Spectrum covered my contracted expenses ( 6 months worth was left). I have a first year bargain, but cost goes up a lot in year two.
Yeah, the Brewers and MLB are losing fans for a variety of reasons, no question. This TV thing is one of them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 25, 2020, 9:01 PM Post
MLB could just get rid of the blackout rules and allow Brewers game to be broadcasted to Wisconsinites via the MLB app. I never understood those blackout rules, at least outside of the immediate vicinity of Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 26, 2020, 6:56 AM Post
mtrebs said:
MLB could just get rid of the blackout rules and allow Brewers game to be broadcasted to Wisconsinites via the MLB app. I never understood those blackout rules, at least outside of the immediate vicinity of Milwaukee.

Protect local broadcasting rights. FS Wisconsin would be worthless without blackout rules. This is a huge deal with MLB as every team is through some sort of regional sports network.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply