LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Author Message
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:08 AM Post
Posts: 14522
Because people don’t want cable more than they want to watch the Brewers...pretty simple. May not be that way to you, but many clearly don’t want cable that badly. Not surprisingly after a summer last year of almost no baseball. People probably realized it isn’t worth that much to them.

To some $200 or whatever the extra cost is can be used in way more meaningful ways.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:14 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15818
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Some stats on how much cable costs a family.

Not a real high percentage of people paying $150+ and streaming services just keep creeping up and up.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:16 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9134
People are totally free to make that decision and I have no problem with that. But you can't complain about the known consequences of a decision you are making.

I want to watch the Brewers.
Then you need to get cable.
But I don't want cable.
Then you can't watch the Brewers.
But that's not fair!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:27 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2584
jerichoholicninja said:
People are totally free to make that decision and I have no problem with that. But you can't complain about the known consequences of a decision you are making.

I want to watch the Brewers.
Then you need to get cable.
But I don't want cable.
Then you can't watch the Brewers.
But that's not fair!


It isn't just that. Many local cable services dropped the RSN from their packages altogether so cable doesn't work either. My parents are in that camp. I did finally gat signed up for ATT TV and am happy with the product so far, even if it is a bit more expensive than I think it should be.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:29 AM Post
Posts: 14522
Brew4U said:
Some stats on how much cable costs a family.

Not a real high percentage of people paying $150+ and streaming services just keep creeping up and up.


The difference doesn’t need to be big to make a difference though. According to that stat shown 66% of people pay $100+ (I didn’t make a free account to see detailed stats). YouTube TV is $65, so 2/3 of people would pay at least $420 more a year. I calculated cable (after the cheap first year) and it was about $135 all-in to get three TVs hooked up with DVR per month, a hefty $840 difference.

I’m not surprised people don’t want to pay $500+ to watch the Brewers every year. I surely won’t, I just mooch off someone’s spectrum account. If that wasn’t possible I just wouldn’t watch on TV.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:29 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1842
turborickey said:
Direct tv has piss poor customer service, that is well known.

I'm not sure why so many are fighting cable.

While everyone else stresses out over being able to watch the Brewers play ball, I'm sitting here watching every game, and if I can't watch, it is dvr'd to watch later.

The price "might" be a bit higher, but all the things I am seeing says it isn't much more expensive than all the streaming stuff.

I can understand playing stubborn, not planning to ever go back to cable, but to me, as I am watching Brewers games worry free, it is worth the peace of mind.


Right now I have a hidden power cord to my TV. That's it. I stream everything wirelessly through the TV apps - Netflix, Amazon, etc. And previously YTTV where I watched Brewers and Bucks. With cable I'd have to get a box with additional wires and find a place to put it. I like the minimalist approach. And that's in addition to terrible customer service experiences over my life with cable companies.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:34 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1389
MoreTrife said:
turborickey said:
Direct tv has piss poor customer service, that is well known.

I'm not sure why so many are fighting cable.

While everyone else stresses out over being able to watch the Brewers play ball, I'm sitting here watching every game, and if I can't watch, it is dvr'd to watch later.

The price "might" be a bit higher, but all the things I am seeing says it isn't much more expensive than all the streaming stuff.

I can understand playing stubborn, not planning to ever go back to cable, but to me, as I am watching Brewers games worry free, it is worth the peace of mind.


Right now I have a hidden power cord to my TV. That's it. I stream everything wirelessly through the TV apps - Netflix, Amazon, etc. And previously YTTV where I watched Brewers and Bucks. With cable I'd have to get a box with additional wires and find a place to put it. I like the minimalist approach. And that's in addition to terrible customer service experiences over my life with cable companies.


This, plus with YTTV I have unlimited cloud DVR. I just subscribe to a show and I get all the episodes recorded for me. No worrying about storage space and deleting a show in order to record a new one. I can watch them when I have time to get to them. YTTV is simply a much better product than cable.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 549
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:
Some stats on how much cable costs a family.

Not a real high percentage of people paying $150+ and streaming services just keep creeping up and up.


The difference doesn’t need to be big to make a difference though. According to that stat shown 66% of people pay $100+ (I didn’t make a free account to see detailed stats). YouTube TV is $65, so 2/3 of people would pay at least $420 more a year. I calculated cable (after the cheap first year) and it was about $135 all-in to get three TVs hooked up with DVR per month, a hefty $840 difference.

I’m not surprised people don’t want to pay $500+ to watch the Brewers every year. I surely won’t, I just mooch off someone’s spectrum account. If that wasn’t possible I just wouldn’t watch on TV.


What do you pay for internet? I pay $130/mo for my cable, internet, DVR, my sports channels and all the channels my wife/kids want. I have the Spectrum app on the TV’s I don’t have a cable box on and anybody can watch live TV (with a small delay) on our other TV’s.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:48 AM Post
Posts: 844
jerichoholicninja said:
Invader3K said:
Social media is flooded with comments from Wisconsin residents who can't watch Brewers games this year, and refuse to switch back to cable or whatever (I'm in that camp). It's insane that MLB teams are so fine with actively disengaging tens of thousands of their fans from their product. This would be like if Harley-Davidson decided to remove all their dealerships in Wisconsin, or if Miller decided to no longer distribute their products in Wisconsin grocery stores. Just lunacy.


What can the teams do about it? Not sell their broadcast rights so no one can watch the games?

It sucks, I agree, but I think a lot of this is that we as a society have been so used to getting things for free (usually illegally) over the internet that we don't know how to handle it when we actually have to pay for something.


Huh? If you want to watch the game for free, you can absolutely still do that. There are plenty of illegal streaming sites to use. The complaints are primarily coming from people who were paying for a service (YoutubeTV, Hulu, etc etc) that used to carry FSWI/Bally and no longer does. Many of these people dropped cable for those services because cable is largely superfluous, overpriced, and a pain to deal with customer service-wise. I personally have Spectrum cable right now, and I literally only use it to watch Brewers and Bucks games. I don't care about any other channels. It is far too expensive for that purpose, so if there were a cheaper streaming option, I would drop it in a heartbeat. I still may drop it soon and go back to "illegal" streaming, because I may not be able to continue to afford it.

It shouldn't be that difficult to understand why people are upset about the lack of options for watching baseball. It's a communal leisure activity, it shouldn't be so difficult or cost-prohibitive to a large segment of the population.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 11:00 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 12548
areacodes said:
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:
Some stats on how much cable costs a family.

Not a real high percentage of people paying $150+ and streaming services just keep creeping up and up.


The difference doesn’t need to be big to make a difference though. According to that stat shown 66% of people pay $100+ (I didn’t make a free account to see detailed stats). YouTube TV is $65, so 2/3 of people would pay at least $420 more a year. I calculated cable (after the cheap first year) and it was about $135 all-in to get three TVs hooked up with DVR per month, a hefty $840 difference.

I’m not surprised people don’t want to pay $500+ to watch the Brewers every year. I surely won’t, I just mooch off someone’s spectrum account. If that wasn’t possible I just wouldn’t watch on TV.


What do you pay for internet? I pay $130/mo for my cable, internet, DVR, my sports channels and all the channels my wife/kids want. I have the Spectrum app on the TV’s I don’t have a cable box on and anybody can watch live TV (with a small delay) on our other TV’s.


wait, so I can get the spectrum app on tvs with no box, and still watch spectrum channels?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 11:11 AM Post
Posts: 14522
turborickey said:
wait, so I can get the spectrum app on tvs with no box, and still watch spectrum channels?


You should be able to. Their site now requires one HD box when signing up, but I think you can call and go around that.

However, their app is somewhat limited to what you can get it on. Right now it is only available on Samsung Smart TVs from the last few years. You would have to go buy Apple TVs or something to get it streamed on something else.

Not sure how DVR works in that scenario. I have seen the app before and while a bit wonky compared to other streaming services it isn't overly bad.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 11:17 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 915
Cable hasn't earned my business. I actually did explore adding cable again just a few days ago. My terms were I would not accept a cable box and the $8/month fee that came with it and the additional price could not exceed the $65 I would otherwise spend on a streaming service like YTTV or Hulu w/ Live TV. The rep I spoke with actually had gotten permission to meet my terms but when it came time to activate my subscription she couldn't because the technology they use requires the stupid $8 box. I said I would accept the box without the fee but they wouldn't do that so no dice. I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of their equipment and fees.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 11:18 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1120
MrTPlush said:
turborickey said:
wait, so I can get the spectrum app on tvs with no box, and still watch spectrum channels?


You should be able to. Their site now requires one HD box when signing up, but I think you can call and go around that.

However, their app is somewhat limited to what you can get it on. Right now it is only available on Samsung Smart TVs from the last few years. You would have to go buy Apple TVs or something to get it streamed on something else.

Not sure how DVR works in that scenario. I have seen the app before and while a bit wonky compared to other streaming services it isn't overly bad.


We had the Spectrum App earlier this year without a box when we were between using Hulu Live and Youtube TV. We had it installed on our Roku.

We ended up cancelling because we had some weird issues with Accessibility and Language Services which couldn't be corrected. We had several shows which had voiceovers describing the action, and some shows were only available in Spanish. We made sure accessibility and language options were set appropriately, and Charter support worked hard, but they couldn't solve any of the issues. We didn't really have it long enough to know if the limited channel lineup affected us.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 12:14 PM Post
Posts: 5533
Location: Madison, WI
Anyone else not like the layout on the TV yesterday? Basically with it all being a line at the bottom instead of a box in the corner. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I prefer the boxes in the corner we've gotten accustomed to.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 12:38 PM Post
User avatar

GIF Master
Posts: 9231
tmwiese55 said:
Anyone else not like the layout on the TV yesterday? Basically with it all being a line at the bottom instead of a box in the corner. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I prefer the boxes in the corner we've gotten accustomed to.


I thought it looked really good and was very easy to read.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 12:39 PM Post
Posts: 3241
When I got Spectrum around December I called and told them I didn't want a box and they were fine with it. At the time I had the app on Roku but I guess you can't download it anymore there but it works fine. I can also go on my computer and watch Spectrum TV as I did that yesterday while working from home.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 12:46 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2584
dlk9s said:
tmwiese55 said:
Anyone else not like the layout on the TV yesterday? Basically with it all being a line at the bottom instead of a box in the corner. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I prefer the boxes in the corner we've gotten accustomed to.


I thought it looked really good and was very easy to read.


Yeah, I actually liked it better than the box in the corner too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 12:50 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2679
MoreTrife said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
I took the plunge and signed up for AT&T TV this morning. $85 a month is quite pricey, but when it's the only real choice, you gotta do it. The platform is still clunky, and actually signing up for the service was a whole separate adventure, but I appear to be good to go now. The service does not offer a typical free trial, but if you cancel service within 14 days of sign-up, they refund your credit card the full $85 ... or at least that's what I was told. I'll give it a shot because there is little risk if it doesn't work.


RRB, is this a streaming over an app service or do you have to get a box and coaxial cable?

OH, and do you get any premiums for that $85? HBO, etc?


Just downloaded the App on my Roku. Works just like YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV or Sling. Easy peasy. Quality was pretty good too.

Yeah, I think it comes with HBO Max, but I haven't really looked into that yet.

Haven't decided yet if I'm going to hang onto it, though. $85/month is a tough pill to swallow for basically one channel I'm going to watch.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 12:54 PM Post
Posts: 5533
Location: Madison, WI
Oxy said:
dlk9s said:
tmwiese55 said:
Anyone else not like the layout on the TV yesterday? Basically with it all being a line at the bottom instead of a box in the corner. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I prefer the boxes in the corner we've gotten accustomed to.


I thought it looked really good and was very easy to read.


Yeah, I actually liked it better than the box in the corner too.


Fair enough, I'm sure I'll get used to it. To me it seems the box puts everything in one spot instead of kind of having to go left to right, but once I'm used to it I'll know where to look for what i want. Just comes from ESPN and everyone using the boxes so it'll take some time.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 5:03 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2370
I didn't like the outs coloring. I turned the game on when Freddy had the bases loaded two outs, but the outs were black or gray circles so I wasn't sure of the outs when I tuned in. Something I will get used to, but I still feel like they could have gone with something other than black/white. I would have gone with red for an out because to me that would be a better indicator and it would match their color scheme.

As for my "choice" to not have cable, is it really my choice when I would have to get the vastly, in my opinion, inferior option just because they have sports? To me it feels more like blackmail.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test