LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Online  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 6:33 PM Post
Depends on how you look at it.

Is it blackmail that you need to own a vehicle?

Is it blackmail that you have cell phones and service?

Is it blackmail when you go into a restaurant?

It's all about choices, either you like Brewers baseball enough to pay for it, of you don't...

My personal choice is that I have to have it so I pay up.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 02, 2021, 6:55 PM Post
turborickey said:

It's all about choices, either you like Brewers baseball enough to pay for it, of you don't...

The issue is they're making it more difficult to watch games when they should be doing everything they can it make it easier to watch games. I would happily buy MLB.TV on a yearly basis if I could watch Brewer games on it. What I won't do is drop a service I love in YoutubeTV for a much more expensive and much worse product in cable. Heck, YoutubeTV has MLB.TV integrated into this season, they had a free preview in spring training, it was great, each team has a separate feed that's listed right with all the other channels. If the Brewers were included I'd happily plunk down the cash.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:

If I don't like almost any of those choices, I can go somewhere else to get a different vehicle. or cell phone, or eat at a different restaurant. I guess it's not really "blackmail" to only provide MLB games to cable subscribers, as everyone has the choice to simply not watch. Watching baseball isn't essential. but it also doesn't make sense to cut out a huge chunk of your possible subscriber base and ad revenue by not making SOME kind of deal with streaming services. But, to each their own.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 12:50 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Invader3K said:
Social media is flooded with comments from Wisconsin residents who can't watch Brewers games this year, and refuse to switch back to cable or whatever (I'm in that camp). It's insane that MLB teams are so fine with actively disengaging tens of thousands of their fans from their product. This would be like if Harley-Davidson decided to remove all their dealerships in Wisconsin, or if Miller decided to no longer distribute their products in Wisconsin grocery stores. Just lunacy.

What can the teams do about it? Not sell their broadcast rights so no one can watch the games?

It sucks, I agree, but I think a lot of this is that we as a society have been so used to getting things for free (usually illegally) over the internet that we don't know how to handle it when we actually have to pay for something.

I have no problem paying but I want some choices. Not pay $85/month or nothing when literally the only reason to get it is for baseball.

I went from watching and attending 150+ games a year a few years ago to 0 games last year. I want the Brewers games but it is getting more and more difficult to find ways to watch them. I would think we would be getting more not fewer options as time goes on. I am honestly not sure I will come back as a regular fan until they start making the games easier to get online.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 6:58 AM Post
I hate that I feel like I’m defending Sinclair/cable here, but I haven’t really seen anybody who is complaining about not being able to watch the Brewers on Hulu/YouTube TV/etc say anything about their role in it. I’m sure Sinclair is trying to get max dollars from the streaming services, but it takes two to tango and it seems like most are putting the blame solely on Sinclair instead of both parties.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 7:51 AM Post
People hated cable already. Hence why things like Hulu/YouTube TV are legit players in the market now. People also hated Sinclair before any of this happened. People also hated MLB before they watched their product get less and less viewers.

I’m more surprised Sinclair hasn’t found a way to get back on streaming services. Seems they have a lot more to lose in all of this. Of course if their long term goal is a standalone product they probably don’t care about these short term losses as much.

For YouTube TV etc. I think most of their consumer base doesn’t care about baseball (and to some extent basketball). If you are just a football fan (or not a sports fan at all) YouTube TV is still a stellar product...it really is only killing people who watch RSNs. They probably saw little decline in users due to dropping RSNs. They would probably have to hike everyone’s bill $15 just to break even on the RSNs. Wouldn’t shock me if they would lose more non sports fans jumping ship for a cheaper streaming option without RSNs than they would gain sports fans subscribing for the RSNs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 8:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
A funny thing to mention as we talk about watching live sports, is whenever my wife will go to the Live section on YouTube TV, she without fail mentions that the first one third of the channels is just sports stuff. So for YouTube TV subscribers who want to watch sports, there is plenty of it. Apparently the only thing we aren't going to get is baseball for hometown fans because it's blacked out. I've never had a problem finding football games, basketball games, any kind of sports. I know they've been cracking down on illegal streams, so I probably won't even go that route this year, I'm just going to listen on the radio. It is what it is until Sinclair and these streaming services find a way to meet in the middle. I'll watch the highlights on the Facebook rewind

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 8:25 AM Post
$25-30 a month to stream directly from Sinclair I could do. I think MLB if they are going to stick to their archaic blackout rules then we need some local streaming options. I get why they have their blackout rules. It drives up the price they can sell TV rights for and that would be otherwise lost revenue. It just does not seem very forward thinking to make their games harder to watch. I think for me this is going to go the way of College hockey when they went to the Big Ten Network. Games were pulled off Fox sports and I didn't get Big Ten for a year there. My viewing habits changed and I have barely watched a game since. I enjoy both sports but when it comes down to it, I have many options and it isn't worth the effort.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 8:52 AM Post
VPN and MLB.tv and problem solved

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 9:23 AM Post
The insane thing is that live media - "television"/cable - are working on a model that is completely unique. They force bundling without choice and you can't buy individual items.

Imagine walking into Sendiks or PikNSave and being forced to buy tripe, cows tongue, kidneys and liver if you wanted to buy hamburger. Or wanting to subscribe to the Journal, but having to take USA today and 5 other Gannet Papers or NOTHING. How about your subscription to Bon Appetit and you have to take 10 Conde Naste publications to get 1. At some point consumers should have the same choice with TV/Cable/Streaming as for every other consumer option. ALA CARTE or choice.

GASP!

I stopped subscribing to any "live" delivery before the pandemic started and my household works completely with on demand streaming and an OTA device. Almost all news can be consumed online. It limits sports events, but I'm getting too old to sit through an entire game. My bill is better as I don't need to subscribe continually to many of the streaming options since they have all their content available all at-once. I just subscribe to HBO for 3 months and binge then cancel and subscribe to Showtime for 3 months, Starz for 3 months, Epic for 3 months and restart. Same with a lot of the "Channels". The only full-time is Disney+ for kids and at the next renewal I will go back to monthly then cancel. Netflix and Hulu go on vacation. Nothing has to be constant subscription (Mubi being one exception as they add 1 move each day and take 1 movie away - now there's a model for continual subscriptions, same with Criterion TV, but I am fine supporting them to keep the model going then not and lose them like Filmstruck).

ewitkows said:
The correct VPN and MLB.tv and problem solved

Fixed that for you. MLB is blocking some VPN now, but I think that isn't universal as I was able to watch opening day using the VPN I pay for separately on MLB.TV without an issue (my VPN service rhymes with "Gord" and is from a Scandinavian company), but the VPN my company uses kept throwing errors during the validation phase.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 3:00 PM Post
For those that got att tv, what package did you get. I have been trying to sign up but I’m not sure what I’m getting includes Bally’s sports?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 3:03 PM Post
It is a little frustrating to watch them destroy the chance to offer a product to a modern audience

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 3:28 PM Post
I made the change to att, it’s worth the extra 20 bucks

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 3:39 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
For those that got att tv, what package did you get. I have been trying to sign up but I’m not sure what I’m getting includes Bally’s sports?

I got the middle tier since it included MLB Network...and the freebies HBO for a year and NBA League pass. I am curious if the cheapest package included Ballys though?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 5:53 PM Post
turborickey said:

It would feel the same if all of a sudden I could only buy gas for my car at a certain gas station, or my phone only worked for a certain provider, or steak was only available from a certain restaurant.

The point isn't that I have a choice it's about having baseball or no baseball, it's that my choice should be where I'm getting that baseball from. That choice has been taken from me.

Streaming services probably share some of the blame, but without seeing what either side us looking for it's hard to say how much. To me Sinclair gets most of the blame because they are offering the product and by not having an agreement with streaming services they are losing out on money. It's hard to feel sorry for them because it kind of just feels like greed because of that.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 03, 2021, 6:10 PM Post
Oxy said:
patrickgpe said:

I got the middle tier since it included MLB Network...and the freebies HBO for a year and NBA League pass. I am curious if the cheapest package included Ballys though?

The $85 Choice package includes Bally Sports Wisconsin. The cheaper $70 Entertainment package does not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2021, 10:23 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Soooo...I wanted to see Ohtani last night on Sunday Night Baseball, fired up MLB.tv and realized that it's blacked out. What??? I think this is the first time I ever wanted to watch Sunday Night Baseball and MLB doesn't even let me do it. Ridiculous.
(...of course I had a free stream up in about 30 seconds but still, it's the principle of the matter...)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2021, 10:56 AM Post
owbc said:
Soooo...I wanted to see Ohtani last night on Sunday Night Baseball, fired up MLB.tv and realized that it's blacked out. What??? I think this is the first time I ever wanted to watch Sunday Night Baseball and MLB doesn't even let me do it. Ridiculous.
(...of course I had a free stream up in about 30 seconds but still, it's the principle of the matter...)

I don’t believe ESPN broadcasts are ever shown on MLB.tv. Always blacked out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 05, 2021, 1:05 PM Post
So, I just downloaded the NORD VPN for my PC. Will give it a shot tonight with the Brewers game.

My subscription apparently includes a mobile APP/VPN for iOS. Has anyone used this? Can I safely download the NORD app for my phone and watch the games on my phone? I'd love to have that ability to watch on my apple phone, but wanted to see if anyone had done this?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming
Posted: April 05, 2021, 1:10 PM Post
madtownhawk said:
So, I just downloaded the NORD VPN for my PC. Will give it a shot tonight with the Brewers game.

My subscription apparently includes a mobile APP/VPN for iOS. Has anyone used this? Can I safely download the NORD app for my phone and watch the games on my phone? I'd love to have that ability to watch on my apple phone, but wanted to see if anyone had done this?

Should really be using a VPN anyways if you are using public wifi with your phone or any other device.

It should work the same as on your PC.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  [ 406 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply