LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Offline  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Posted: December 30, 2020, 4:57 PM Post
Brewers Numbers said:
I'm in IL so I can't watch every Packer game. I've been watching the summary on Youtube after the game and I almost prefer it now. Losses and the 2nd half of the Carolina game are much less frustrating. Same with the Brewers. If I can't watch the game I do watch the quick summaries on MLB.TV.

I live in Illinois too and 15 of their 16 games have been shown in the Chicago area at least. All but week two against the Lions were available. I watched that on an outdoor screen at Buffalo Wild Wings for the price of a couple beers and some wings. In the last several years, typically no more than 3 or 4 Packer games were not shown in Chicago market.

I may be old school but the joy is in the journey. Losses are going to happen. It's part of the ebb and flow of a season. But the 3 1/2 hours of a game with it's ebbs and flows is far superior to watching highlights. It irritates me that there's a satellite delay and sometimes my phone lets me know a score happened before I see it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 02, 2021, 10:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
Count me in the camp of not giving up Youtube TV. It's such a superior product, I will never go back to Charter/Spectrum and their horrible customer service.

I would miss watching Brewers games live, but hopefully something will be worked out long term. I think MLB has to realize this constant viewing uncertainty isn't good for their fanbase and business model.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 02, 2021, 1:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
Same. I switched to YouTube TV after PlayStation Vue died and I don't care, I will find other streaming ways or just listen to the radio for my sports that I can't get on FSN.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 02, 2021, 3:44 PM Post
owbc said:
jerichoholicninja said:
patrickgpe said:
I am so busy, with kids, life, work etc (like I am sure alot of other people are), sometimes it nice to relax and have a few cold ones and watch the game from start to finish.

That's me too until I actually sit down and watch. After an inning or two I'm looking for something else to do. By the time the kids are in bed and I have time for myself the Brewers are usually in the 6th or 7th inning so I check the score to see if it's worth turning on. Most times I do but rarely do I pay close attention to it. Maybe it's 3TO baseball, maybe it's just being an adult and having other things to do but a baseball game on TV doesn't hold my attention like it used to.

I love day games for this reason. I usually would put it on my second computer screen while I'm working. I was outraged when the Brewers played almost no day games in 2020.

Night games usually start at 5 PM west coast time so pre-COVID I would put the game on my headphones while riding the bus home from work and if the game was interesting I would have it on during my evening run. Might catch the 8th or 9th inning on TV if it was a close game.

When the Brewers turned into a full 3TO team in 2020 it got boring really fast. If the opposition had a good pitcher on the mound there was just no chance of them doing anything offensively.

Along those same lines, why don't they do afternoon games on Saturdays? I would love to sit out in the sun grilling and hanging out with friends on a Saturday afternoon.

RoCoBrewfan said:
Same. I switched to YouTube TV after PlayStation Vue died and I don't care, I will find other streaming ways or just listen to the radio for my sports that I can't get on FSN.

I love YouTube TV. Their DVR function was fantastic and worked great even for live sports that never got recorded right with Tivo if they ran long. Loved it at $35 and would still be a subscriber. Jumped up to $50 and I didn't really need it. At $65 it is something I might get for a month or two if I really really wanted to watch Brewers games but there really isn't anything on live TV that I can't do without.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 8:35 AM Post
logan82 said:
Along those same lines, why don't they do afternoon games on Saturdays? I would love to sit out in the sun grilling and hanging out with friends on a Saturday afternoon.

As someone old enough to remember Saturday afternoon baseball, maybe it has to do with Saturday evening baseball being a "marquee" event - something for the community to get buzzed about. I believe Milwaukee's first Sat night game was in 1978. (An aside, Game 4 of the '82 WS was played on a Saturday afternoon).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 2:54 PM Post
was looking into streaming options today. ATT TV is the only one that would offer FS WI. The issue is that they make you sign a 2 year contract. They also make you pay 9 extra dollars for their sports package and increase rates in year #2. The latter is no big deal, but the former is. What happens if they drop sinclair too and them I'm on the hook for 74 dollars a month for nothing? I think most on this thread are right, better to hold off for now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 3:08 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
Brewers Numbers said:
I'm in IL so I can't watch every Packer game. I've been watching the summary on Youtube after the game and I almost prefer it now. Losses and the 2nd half of the Carolina game are much less frustrating. Same with the Brewers. If I can't watch the game I do watch the quick summaries on MLB.TV.

I live in Illinois too and 15 of their 16 games have been shown in the Chicago area at least. All but week two against the Lions were available. I watched that on an outdoor screen at Buffalo Wild Wings for the price of a couple beers and some wings. In the last several years, typically no more than 3 or 4 Packer games were not shown in Chicago market.

I may be old school but the joy is in the journey. Losses are going to happen. It's part of the ebb and flow of a season. But the 3 1/2 hours of a game with it's ebbs and flows is far superior to watching highlights. It irritates me that there's a satellite delay and sometimes my phone lets me know a score happened before I see it.

Yesterday's Packer game wasn't televised in my market...I was kind of surprised, but whatever, I had it in HD on my phone for free in 30 seconds with a bootleg stream. And my wife was happy because she could use the TV during the game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 3:40 PM Post
i used to use those. they seemed to be more trouble then they are worth. put viruses on my phone / laptop, streams not working or buffering, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 4:04 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
patrickgpe said:
i used to use those. they seemed to be more trouble then they are worth. put viruses on my phone / laptop, streams not working or buffering, etc.

I use apple devices with an ad blocker and have never had an issue. Been using the same site for at least 5 years now.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Posted: January 04, 2021, 4:15 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:

Me, too. I wish they could have a "switch to previous channel" available.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Posted: January 04, 2021, 4:21 PM Post
Are these other streaming ways legal?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 4:28 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
wallus said:
Are these other streaming ways legal?

Is it legal to type a URL in your web browser and click 'play'?

Edit: I can think of some circumstances where the answer would be 'no'. But my main point is that when content providers overly restrict content, a black market will naturally set up. And the black market for sports streaming is alive and well. Any crackdown would certainly target the websites and not the users.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2021, 10:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
It is legal to stream MLB.tv from IP addresses outside local blackout zones.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2021, 12:41 PM Post
RightFieldCoder said:

That might be the answer. Anybody use NORDVPN or one of those other IP Address "scramblers"? Is that less legal than using the sites that pirate/bootleg a feed?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2021, 12:47 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Oxy said:
RightFieldCoder said:

That might be the answer. Anybody use NORDVPN or one of those other IP Address "scramblers"? Is that less legal than using the sites that pirate/bootleg a feed?

It was noted earlier in this thread that MLB.tv is pretty good at blocking VPNs. Not sure if these other scramblers work.

As much as I talk up bootlegged streams I actually pay for MLB.tv since I'm out-of-market for the Brewers. But if I want to watch my local MLB team I have to do that on a bootlegged feed, even though I'm paying for MLB.tv. So absurd.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2021, 3:20 PM Post
Luckily we live in a time when these streaming sites have as good of quality as anything, it used to be brutal trying to stream games 10+ years ago. Amazing world we live in where I can't pay money to attend a game, but the games are still played in front of no one and broadcast to few.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 05, 2021, 7:06 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
was looking into streaming options today. ATT TV is the only one that would offer FS WI. The issue is that they make you sign a 2 year contract. They also make you pay 9 extra dollars for their sports package and increase rates in year #2. The latter is no big deal, but the former is. What happens if they drop sinclair too and them I'm on the hook for 74 dollars a month for nothing? I think most on this thread are right, better to hold off for now.

If you are in Wisconsin, I’m pretty sure that for cable/satellite companies, if they change the terms in any way (including removing channels) that you have the right to cancel without penalty, even if you are mid-contract. Not sure if this works for the streaming “cable” providers or not.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 06, 2021, 12:20 AM Post
SomewhereInTime said:
Luckily we live in a time when these streaming sites have as good of quality as anything, it used to be brutal trying to stream games 10+ years ago. Amazing world we live in where I can't pay money to attend a game, but the games are still played in front of no one and broadcast to few.

Well, many of the away games anyway used to be broadcast to many for free (other than the cost of a TV and electricity). It is absurd that If I lived anywhere in the world other than Wisconsin I would be able to watch Brewer games for what I consider an acceptable price.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 10:05 AM Post
Rosenthal: MLB bracing for a reduction in TV rights fees in pending ESPN deal
Large-market teams such as the Yankees and Dodgers continue to benefit from long-term RSN deals or owning part of their networks. But the erosion of the cable-television model, exacerbated by the pandemic, is creating a more challenging environment for every major professional sport but the NFL, which does not rely on RSNs.

Cord-cutting, in which viewers cancel their cable or satellite subscriptions and watch programming in other ways, means fewer subscribers for RSNs. The networks in turn become less attractive to distributors, and the squeeze at both ends makes them less willing to pursue deals with teams as aggressively as they once did.

Baseball’s most recent RSN agreement, negotiated by the Royals with Fox Sports Kansas City in August 2019, increased the team’s average annual take from the $20 million range to more than $40 million. The Marlins and Brewers, seeking their new RSN deals in an economy damaged by the pandemic, seem unlikely to end up with the same type of increase.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 11:25 AM Post
I have the ATT streaming tv and so far I like it, I've also had Hulu and You tube, keep changing as they drop FSN WI. It's pretty expensive though

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 80 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply