LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres, Cubs receive Zach Davies and prospects

Offline    Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres, Cubs receive Zach Davies and prospects

Posted: December 28, 2020, 3:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
I will start this thread in the transaction rumors forum and move it to the major league forum when/if the deal appears imminent.

Kevin Acee Tweet: Framework is all but done between Padres and Cubs. Yu Darvish could be part of Padres' rotation by end of the day.

Also, here is his Article Link

From the article:

According to two sources familiar with the talks, the Padres and Cubs are close to agreeing on the multiple pieces in a trade that will bring right-hander Yu Darvish to San Diego.

Those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, would not elaborate on the details of the deal but said the Padres have accepted the haul they will have to send to the Cubs.

EDIT: Trade is Darvish and Victor Caratini to Padres. Cubs' return is Zach Davies and four prospects including OF Owen Caissie (18), SS Reggie Preciado (17), OF Ismael Mena (18), IF Yeison Santana (20).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Darvish to Padres framework in place

Posted: December 28, 2020, 4:16 PM Post
Eye Black said:
I will start this thread in the transaction rumors forum and move it to the major league forum when/if the deal is completed.

Kevin Acee Tweet: Framework is all but done between Padres and Cubs. Yu Darvish could be part of Padres' rotation by end of the day.

Also, here is his Article Link

From the article:

According to two sources familiar with the talks, the Padres and Cubs are close to agreeing on the multiple pieces in a trade that will bring right-hander Yu Darvish to San Diego.

Those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, would not elaborate on the details of the deal but said the Padres have accepted the haul they will have to send to the Cubs.

Will be interesting to see who the Padres give up. I am thinking it will center around Hassell and if it does center around someone like Hassell that may tell us where the Cubs are going and it looks like they are going for another rebuild which means others may become available either this off season or during the trade deadline. Rizzo and Contreras are the two best pieces the Cubs have followed by Baez and then Bryant.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 4:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
Will be interesting to see who the Padres give up.

Two interesting pieces of speculation I've heard/seen is that the deal may also include Victor Caratini (who typically catches Darvish) and that one piece returning to the Cubs could be old friend Zach Davies.

Regarding the Zach Davies rumors, Jesse Rogers was on ESPN radio in Chicago and made the following comment:

"One name I would almost guarantee coming back [in a Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini trade] would be Zach Davies."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 5:16 PM Post
One would think that a starting pitcher going back to the Padres would be an absolute must because the Cubs aren't exactly loaded in the rotation as it is.

Without Darvish their rotation pretty much looks like-
#1 - Kyle Hendricks
#2 - Alec Mills (119 2/3 innings, 4.14 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 4.64 FIP)
#3 - Adbert Alzolay (33 2/3 innings, 4.54 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, 4.77 FIP)
#4 - Colin Rea (148 1/3 innings, 4.79 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 4.41 FIP
#5 - Tyson Miller (5 innings)

I'd be pretty unhappy with that if I was a Cubs fan. If they dump Bryant, which I think they will, I don't think they will have enough offensive firepower to compensate for a rotation like this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 6:34 PM Post
Eye Black said:
nate82 said:
Will be interesting to see who the Padres give up.

Two interesting pieces of speculation I've heard/seen is that the deal may also include Victor Caratini (who typically catches Darvish) and that one piece returning to the Cubs could be old friend Zach Davies.

Regarding the Zach Davies rumors, Jesse Rogers was on ESPN radio in Chicago and made the following comment:

"One name I would almost guarantee coming back [in a Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini trade] would be Zach Davies."

If Davies is involved I think this will be the final trade:

Davies, Weathers, Hassell and Ornelas to the Cubs
Darvish and Caratini to the Padres

This would give the Cubs one good prospect plus two pitchers they can throw into their rotation in Davies and Weathers and then one gamble of a prospect in Ornelas.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 7:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Moving this to the major league forum.

According to Bob Nightengale:

The #Padres are getting catcher Victor Caratini from the #Cubs in the Yu Darvish trade. Catcher Luis Campusano is staying in San Diego and is not part of the deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 7:15 PM Post
Bob Nightengale: The #Padres are getting catcher Victor Caratini from the #Cubs in the Yu Darvish trade. Catcher Luis Campusano is staying in San Diego and is not part of the deal.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:34 PM Post
What would brewerfan.net look like if the Brewers had a day like the Padres had today?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:39 PM Post
Darvish and Caratini for Davies, Reginald Preciado, Yeison Santana, Owen Caissie, Ismael Mena. Pretty incredible deal for the Padres.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
wibadgers23 said:
What would brewerfan.net look like if the Brewers had a day like the Padres had today?

Here you go, it was pretty fun...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=36315

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=36313

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:45 PM Post
The other one that comes to mind is when we landed Greinke and Marcum in succession.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:47 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:

"We gave up way too much!"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:48 PM Post
Cubs land some high upside guys who are very young. And they got four of them, so there is a solid chance that a couple end up being big time prospects. I’d be happy with a deal like that if the Brewers had an expensive veteran pitcher to deal.

Last edited by Austin Tatious on December 28, 2020, 8:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 8:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
Cubs Dynasty?

More like Cubs Knots Landing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 9:05 PM Post
So I see the Padres kept their top prospects so they could acquire Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 9:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Cubs cutting payroll. hilarious

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 9:10 PM Post
Austin Tatious said:
Cubs land some high upside guys who are very young. And they got four of them, so there is a solid chance that a couple end up being big time prospects. I’d be happy with a deal like that if the Brewers had an expensive veteran pitcher to deal.

Cubs fans do *not* seem happy about it. Public prospect rankings are what they are of course and they differ somewhat, but we're talking no consensus top 10 prospect in their system. This is after they had already traded a bunch of prospects for Clevinger, Snell and Nola recently, and with the Cubs retaining some salary. Maybe the approach of multiple lower-level guys pays off many years down the line, but it's quite easy to see why Cubs fans aren't thrilled tbh. With the trade itself, but perhaps even more so with the direction the team seems to be going, the end of an era and all that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 28, 2020, 9:12 PM Post
I sure hope that the Brewers find a way to competently fill their holes this offseason, because the division is there for the taking.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres, Cubs receive Zach Davies and prospects

Posted: December 28, 2020, 9:17 PM Post
Head over to NSBB if you want to read some quality meltdowns.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres, Cubs receive Zach Davies and prospects

Posted: December 28, 2020, 9:18 PM Post
For anyone expecting a Gavin Lux type return for Hader, the Padres just managed to land Yu Darvish without giving up anyone in their organizational top 10 (though admittedly it's a loaded farm)

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 68 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply