LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Pablo Reyes to minor league contract

Online  Re: Brewers sign Pablo Reyes to minor league contract

Posted: January 11, 2021, 11:08 AM Post
turborickey said:
If this is one of many signings that look the same, I will not be thrilled.

I think everyone agrees with that and it doesn't need to be stated in every thread. I think everyone also needs to adjust to the fact that 1.) offseason signings happen later and later every year, and 2.) this offseason with all the uncertainty with COVID and rules and attendances is making things especially slower.

Of the top 100 free agents according to projected WAR, only 20 have signed so far. And only 13 teams have signed one of those free agents (https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resour ... nt-tracker).

I don't think the Brewers are going to sign anyone that's going to knock our socks off, but I'm hoping for a couple okay signings to fill 1B and 3B and perhaps a veteran SP signing. Once they sign someone that actually seems like they're meant to get significant playing time, that will be a good time to discuss how underwhelming they are, but it seems unnecessary bringing it up on all these filler signings.

Now all that said, if pitchers and catchers report and Pablo Reyes is our big offseason acquisition, I'm right there with ya, but as of now this all feels very premature and exhausting.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Pablo Reyes to minor league contract

Posted: January 11, 2021, 11:43 AM Post
Can we just fast forward to mid-February already and get this offseason over with? Free agency in MLB has really become a joke.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Pablo Reyes to minor league contract

Posted: January 11, 2021, 11:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
Well, since you guys painted this signing as a positive, I guess I'll make myself be excited about it then...

I think we have the right to be underwhelmed...

If this ends up being a low level signing, and we still have some other things to actually get excited about, I'm fine with it. If this is one of many signings that look the same, I will not be thrilled.

This seems to have been in response to my saying "...a nice guy to add on a minor league deal," and "He has a shot to make the MLB roster as a utility guy, or he could be good minor league depth to cover multiple positions."

How many teams have star players as minor league depth or MLB utility guys? Every team needs guys like this. I get that you want to see something big happen. We all do. However, we also need to make signings like this to fill out our AAA roster and our MLB bench. Most moves that teams make are minor ones, and this fits into that category.

Our biggest "upgrade" this offseason will be in having our good players hit better than they did last year. If that doesn't happen, we're in trouble for a long time, because we can't afford to pay Yelich his contract if he's a AAAA player. However, in the likely scenario that guys like Yelich and Hiura remember how to hit, we have a pretty good team that really just needs a corner IF or two to be the odds on favorite to win the NL Central.

My guess is that they brought in Reyes to fight for the utility spot, so that when they add a third baseman, they will be able to trade Arcia and make Urias the everyday shortstop. There is absolutely no way that they signed Reyes to be an everyday player, so I wouldn't get too worried about this signing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2021, 12:31 PM Post
monty57 said:
turborickey said:
Well, since you guys painted this signing as a positive, I guess I'll make myself be excited about it then...

I think we have the right to be underwhelmed...

If this ends up being a low level signing, and we still have some other things to actually get excited about, I'm fine with it. If this is one of many signings that look the same, I will not be thrilled.

This seems to have been in response to my saying "...a nice guy to add on a minor league deal," and "He has a shot to make the MLB roster as a utility guy, or he could be good minor league depth to cover multiple positions."

How many teams have star players as minor league depth or MLB utility guys? Every team needs guys like this. I get that you want to see something big happen. We all do. However, we also need to make signings like this to fill out our AAA roster and our MLB bench. Most moves that teams make are minor ones, and this fits into that category.

Our biggest "upgrade" this offseason will be in having our good players hit better than they did last year. If that doesn't happen, we're in trouble for a long time, because we can't afford to pay Yelich his contract if he's a AAAA player. However, in the likely scenario that guys like Yelich and Hiura remember how to hit, we have a pretty good team that really just needs a corner IF or two to be the odds on favorite to win the NL Central.

My guess is that they brought in Reyes to fight for the utility spot, so that when they add a third baseman, they will be able to trade Arcia and make Urias the everyday shortstop. There is absolutely no way that they signed Reyes to be an everyday player, so I wouldn't get too worried about this signing.

Every year the Brewers sign guys just like Pablo Reyes. Players like Will Middlebrooks, Jake Elmore, Nick Franklin, Saladino, Corey Spangenberg, etc. They all get 100-150 at bats then get released when a roster spot is needed.

I wouldn't sleep on Arcia either. He's still just 26 years old, and while the 2020 season was a strange one, Arcia did strike out less, barrel up more balls and improved his exit velocity. There's a chance he could become an average hitter which with his defense would give them a nice player with multiple years of team control remaining.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2021, 12:55 PM Post
Minor league NRI deal. No one's expecting an All-Star. Might work out well. Might not. If all goes well with the major league roster, Reyes shouldn't see much MIL time unless he's totally raking in AAA. If he comes up, hope it goes well.

Guys like this are signed every year. Unfortunately it's really about all we have to talk about so far (and Zach Green & Dylan Cozens & Hoby Milner) -- all necessary signings but rather boring compared to what we'd like to be talking about (that is, appealing players signed to good major-league deals).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 11, 2021, 4:25 PM Post
It is what it is a Minor league player for the New Triple A team.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 46 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply