LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Jordan Zimmermann

Offline  Re: Brewers sign Jordan Zimmermann

Posted: February 09, 2021, 12:21 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Amazing how quickly this guy cratered. I don't remember for sure but I don't think there were injuries involved either.

He was plagued with injuries in Detroit: on the DL with neck and groin strains, took a batted ball off the face, sprained his UCL, had off seasons core muscle surgery, sprained his right shoulder strain, and then he missed a big chunk of 2019 and almost all of 2020 with a right forearm injury. If he is healthy, there might still be something there. The launch angle against him in 2019 with Detroit (12.6) is exactly the same as it was the last year with the Nationals when he got Cy Young votes and made the all-star team. Like wise, the percentage of line drives hit off him was the same in 2019 (24.5%) as it was in 2015 (24.3%). He was a good command pitcher that didn't ever throw in the upper 90s. If he has his command and his healthy, he might be able to compete for a back end of the rotation spot as an innings eater.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 12:43 PM Post
I have been wondering if some of the older or frequently injured pitchers have some upside after essentially an entire year of rest in 2020

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 1:43 PM Post
SeaBass said:
Roderick said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Zimmermann said he feels great, best shape of his life, and is looking forward to his best season ever.

Has there ever been a player in creation that didn't say he was in the best shape of his life at whatever point in the offseason?

Bartolo Colon maybe? Do I win anything if I'm right?

You win a pie that you have to split with Bartolo. [wink]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 1:53 PM Post
Bartolo's actually not a bad comparator for a guy who fell completely of the map for 4+ years with injuries, and then returned to being an above-average SP.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Jordan Zimmermann

Posted: February 09, 2021, 2:08 PM Post
I think he's pretty clearly done but whatever. Throw a minor league contract at the home state guy and maybe he makes the team for a month as the mop up guy or something.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 2:19 PM Post
I wish this had happened in 2013 ... his stats have been terrible since 2016

Last edited by edfunderburk on February 09, 2021, 5:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 2:45 PM Post
But can he play third?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 4:24 PM Post
Brew4U said:
But can he play third?

Stearns somewhere: "Bleep it, let's just do it and be legends"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 4:55 PM Post
Brew4U said:
But can he play third?

Stearns: Wait a minute, who is Jordan Zimmermann? Two 'n's? What?!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 8:38 PM Post
I can hardly complain about a minor league contract signing, but i had higher hopes for a veteran backup startup. Oh well, at least he's a wisconsin boy and you never know. Beer and cheese can heal many woes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 09, 2021, 9:41 PM Post
Willing to give him a chance does not cost anything. I still like Hill or Paxton.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:03 AM Post
Can't complain about taking a flyer on him, but I can complain that we still have not really addressed 3B and another arm in the rotation that we know will be better than what we have. A #3 basically... We signed a guy who might be able to play 3B, but we will have to find out as the season progresses. It's not a plan, it's a wing and a prayer.

We desperately need a 1B, 3B and rotation help, so we sign a 2B, and move our 2B to 1B, even though he has never logged a single inning at the position.

We seem to think that after Burnes and Woodruff, someone will just step up to fill 3-5. Our 3-5 is garbage. People will disagree with that, but we are throwing out garbage.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:06 AM Post
turborickey said:
We desperately need a 1B, 3B and rotation help, so we sign a 2B, and move our 2B to 1B, even though he has never logged a single inning at the position.

As a long-time Brewers fan, how could you possibly be surprised that they went this route? That move was about as Stearns-esque as it gets. I mean, when has this team's front office ever made the predicted or obvious move?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:09 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
turborickey said:

As a long-time Brewers fan, how could you possibly be surprised that they went this route? That move was about as Stearns-esque as it gets. I mean, when has this team's front office ever made the predicted or obvious move?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just fed up with this off season, as a long time Brewers fan.

Look at what LA and SD have done! Seriously, just take a long hard look at what those teams will be fielding, and what we will be throwing out there.

It just saddens me to think that as baseball fans, who love our team, we just will be unable to compete for a World Series birth. It is just as close to impossible as it gets.

Well, at least we aren't the Pirates.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:13 AM Post
Brew4U said:
But can he play third?

If they're desperate for a third baseman... Ocho's available...

He'd be an upgrade of over 150 points of OPS...

Just sayin'...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:20 AM Post
turborickey said:
turborickey said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just fed up with this off season, as a long time Brewers fan.

Look at what LA and SD have done! Seriously, just take a long hard look at what those teams will be fielding, and what we will be throwing out there.

It just saddens me to think that as baseball fans, who love our team, we just will be unable to compete for a World Series birth. It is just as close to impossible as it gets.

You're correct. The Brewers' big move this offseason – Wong – would be a pocket change move for the Dodgers. MLB's financial structure sucks. It has for awhile. But it's not going to change anytime soon. It's gotten to the point where, as a Brewer fan, you have to almost hope for teams like the Dodgers to suffer major injuries or have a bunch of underperformers for any hope to have them come back to the field of other teams, including the Brewers.

That's why, as a Brewer fan, I guess you just have to enjoy the ride of the regular season, but the deck is severely stacked against them come playoff time. It is what it is.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:40 AM Post
turborickey said:
turborickey said:

In the last ten years the Brewers have won 776 games and been to the post season 4 times. The Padres have won 686 games and been to the playoffs once.

Prospect laden teams like the Padres accumulate those players from a years of futility. The Brewers don’t have any of the games top prospects because they’ve been mostly competitive for the last decade and we’re picking it n the middle or towards the back of a draft where there are no sure things and very few outside the top five or ten picks.

As a fan, I don’t really want to invest my surplus time in a team that is obviously outmatched and playing for the future. For teams that are more reliant upon game day revenue than the major media markets it’s bad for business to have a team that isn’t competitive.

I think the Brewers have done an excellent job keeping their team competitive in their division. They’ve always moved to improve the roster during the season when on field performance has warranted it. As a fan who could realistically want more

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 8:51 AM Post
Not every team can compete for the World Series every year. There are going to be waves of contention, especially for a team like the Brewers, and for the most part this has been a fun, competitive team under MA and DS. They were one game from the World Series just three years ago. It's not impossible! And while this year's team doesn't look like it'll be a World Series contender, it does look like it can compete in the division and has a serious shot at making the playoffs again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 9:00 AM Post
Jopal78! said:

In the last ten years the Brewers have won 776 games and been to the post season 4 times. The Padres have won 686 games and been to the playoffs once.

Prospect laden teams like the Padres accumulate those players from a years of futility. The Brewers don’t have any of the games top prospects because they’ve been mostly competitive for the last decade and we’re picking it n the middle or towards the back of a draft where there are no sure things and very few outside the top five or ten picks.

As a fan, I don’t really want to invest my surplus time in a team that is obviously outmatched and playing for the future. For teams that are more reliant upon game day revenue than the major media markets it’s bad for business to have a team that isn’t competitive.

I think the Brewers have done an excellent job keeping their team competitive in their division. They’ve always moved to improve the roster during the season when on field performance has warranted it. As a fan who could realistically want more

to your first point, so what? I'm concerned with the here and now. The Brewers team that we will be fielding in 2021 is almost like a AAA team in comparison to LA and SD. I don't care that we have made the playoffs 4 times to SD 1. Let's see where that shakes out in the next 10 years... The deck is stacked against us, obviously, it just gets frustrating.

I am thankful that we have had success recently, but looking at the LA and SD teams, it is deflating to see what we are up against both financially and physically.

Staying competitive is great, and far better than not being competitive, but if we can't have real World Series aspirations, it takes some of the air out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 10, 2021, 9:19 AM Post
Isn't there a Vent thread where this should go instead of cluttering up several other threads with it?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply