LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign RP Brad Boxberger to minor league deal

Offline  Re: Brewers sign RP Brad Boxberger to minor league deal

Posted: February 15, 2021, 11:13 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
I can easily see Boxberger making the OD roster... Black can be DFA'd... Feyereisen, Rasmussen can be optioned to minors.

Certainly possible, most bullpens have a couple spots at the bottom that can be won by someone that really impresses in camp. Boxberger is one of probably close to a dozen or so dudes that have a real shot at winning a spot with a good camp.

And this move in my opinion doesn't really signal anything regarding Hader or anyone else in the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2021, 3:26 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
BestInTheWorld said:
I can easily see Boxberger making the OD roster... Black can be DFA'd... Feyereisen, Rasmussen can be optioned to minors.

They'll give Black another shot simply because he's quite possibly the hardest thrower in the system. The team will likely keep eight or nine relievers, and barring injury, five of those spots are likely spoken for with Hader, Williams, Suter, Peralta and Yardley. You have to think that Rasmussen and Topa are solid bets with good springs. Boxberger is going to be in competition with Black, Feyereisen, Wahl and Bickford. That will change even more if they decide that they need a 3rd lefty in the pen. Then Perdomo, Blaine Hardy, Hoby Milner, and Lauer (if he fails to make the rotation) come into play. And there's a complete wildcard in Jordan Zimmermann, who fits either as a back-end rotation guy or a long man if he shows enough in spring training. File and Bettinger are also on the 40-man roster, and will be given plenty of opportunity to see if they can contribute to the 2021 major league team at some point.

Boxberger probably does stand a solid shot of making the MLB pen, but he's got a lot of competition, and is going to need to show well in spring training.

Agreed, although I would rather have Boxberger's experience... Rasmussen, Bickford, Feyereisen, Wahl all could use more AAA seasoning.

Doesnt mean anything to me if Black is the hardest thrower in the system, won't be in the bullpen if he doesnt know where its gonna end up... We have plenty of hard throwers in the minors.

I see the OD bullpen as such:

Hader
Williams
Boxberger
Peralta
Topa
Yardley
Hardy
Suter

That's a very solid pen.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: RP Brad Boxberger to minor league deal; non-roster invitee

Posted: February 18, 2021, 4:52 PM Post

Roster Guru
this deal was officially announced by the club today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 01, 2021, 9:03 AM Post

Roster Guru
it should be noted that because boxberger is a player with at least six years of service time who finished the 2020 season on a major league roster or major league injured list, his minor league contract requires an opt-out clause or a retention bonus if he isn't added to the major league roster before opening day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 17, 2021, 4:11 AM Post

Roster Guru
djoctagone said:
it should be noted that because boxberger is a player with at least six years of service time who finished the 2020 season on a major league roster or major league injured list, his minor league contract requires an opt-out clause or a retention bonus if he isn't added to the major league roster before opening day.

boxberger's opt-out is 27 march.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2021, 11:00 AM Post

Roster Guru
brad boxberger has been released and is now a free agent. the brewers avoided paying boxberger a $100,000 retention bonus to ensure that he remained in the organization on a minor league deal.

boxberger is free to negotiate a major or minor league deal with any club--including the brewers.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2021, 12:13 PM Post

Roster Guru
brad boxberger has been re-signed to a minor league deal. he presumably will start the season at the alternate training site, unless a 40-man roster spot is opened up for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2021, 12:24 PM Post

Roster Guru
boxberger may have made his re-signing to a minor league contract conditional on the assurance of being placed on the taxi squad(s) for the brewers. the brewers did carry a non-roster player in shelby miller on their first taxi squad last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 7:31 AM Post
Box will probably make the bullpen with the Topa injury.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2021, 12:10 PM Post

Roster Guru
brad boxberger will have his contract selected and will be on the 26-man roster. a corresponding move on the 40-man is needed.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign RP Brad Boxberger to minor league deal

Posted: April 06, 2021, 12:11 PM Post
djoctagone said:
brad boxberger will have his contract selected and will be on the 26-man roster. a corresponding move on the 40-man is needed.

Really? Wouldn't Orlando Arcia's removal from the 40-man take care of that?

I suppose they could move Topa to the 60-day IL too.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2021, 12:18 PM Post

Roster Guru
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
djoctagone said:

Really? Wouldn't Orlando Arcia's removal from the 40-man take care of that?

I suppose they could move Topa to the 60-day IL too.

transferring topa is what they did. the brewers acquired two players on optional assignment with the braves, and only one spot was open at the time (most recently vacated by the outright assignment of ray black).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:00 AM Post
Boxberger was hitting 96 last night and his experience is going to be needed especially if it takes time for Williams to find his groove.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:08 AM Post
I think if he can hold down the 7ths (like I expected when this minor league signing was announced), this is a great move.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2021, 10:42 AM Post
patrickgpe said:
I think if he can hold down the 7ths (like I expected when this minor league signing was announced), this is a great move.

Agreed!

I love the thought of Boxberger, Williams, Hader closing out leads!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply