LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Travis Shaw- $1.5m Minor League Deal, $1.5 more in incentives, with an opt-out

Online  Re: Brewers sign Travis Shaw- $1.5m Minor League Deal, $1.5 more in incentives, with an opt-out

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:36 PM Post
I am assuming we are done now. We will have some ability to take on payroll at the deadline which I like.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Travis Shaw- $1.5m Minor League Deal, $1.5 more in incentives, with an opt-out

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:43 PM Post
I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster, no? Who does he have to beat out for the last infield bench spot, Mark Mathias/Jace Peterson, or is it Daniel Vogelbach?

I think Robertson is pretty safe.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Brewers sign Travis Shaw- $1.5m Minor League Deal, $1.5 more in incentives, with an opt-out

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:49 PM Post
I can’t get excited about this move but it’s understandable when you have nobody in the minors at 3B who is even remotely close. Just gonna have to keep going year to year on these low-tier guys until we can finally draft and develop a 3B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:51 PM Post
SRB said:
I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster, no? Who does he have to beat out for the last infield bench spot, Mark Mathias/Jace Peterson, or is it Daniel Vogelbach?

Obviously Hiura, Wong and Urias are locks. Arcia and Robertson are probably close to it. If they keep 13 position players, it will probably be 4-5 outfielders, 5-6 infielders and the two catchers. That means Vogelbach and Shaw may be competing for one spot. I suppose they could keep both, but then that means only 4 OFers.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Brewers sign Travis Shaw- $1.5m Minor League Deal, $1.5 more in incentives, with an opt-out

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:55 PM Post
Shaw is also a very good first baseman IIRC.....which will come in handy as a late inning defensive replacement for Hiura......assuming he makes the team of course.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:58 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
SRB said:

Obviously Hiura, Wong and Urias are locks. Arcia and Robertson are probably close to it. If they keep 13 position players, it will probably be 4-5 outfielders, 5-6 infielders and the two catchers. That means Vogelbach and Shaw may be competing for one spot. I suppose they could keep both, but then that means only 4 OFers.

Can't see them keeping Vogelbach to be honest, unless there is a last minute deal to keep the NL DH. The Wong signing more or less forces them to be serious about Hiura at 1B, and Hiura is not going to be sitting very often. Even assuming Vogelbach is a better bet to hit well against RHP than Shaw (not entirely clear), being a 1B/DH versus a 3B/1B/2B is a huge difference.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:58 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Shaw is also a very good first baseman IIRC.....which will come in handy as a late inning defensive replacement for Hiura......assuming he makes the team of course.

Good point. Bring in Arcia for SS and move Urias over to 3rd for a great defensive infield. Although our late inning guys strikeout out a lot anyways.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:08 PM Post
Just wanted to throw this out there:

- First off, he was really, really good 2017-18 with us. Remember how much talk there was about how great the trade was to get him and that it was one of the most lopsided trades ever? Those were good times.

- 2019 was disastrous, but it was only 270 PAs as he got off to a bad start and got pulled in and out of the lineup and sent down to the minors for an extended period (where he raked by the way, hitting .286/.437/.586/1.023 with a 147 wRC+ in 174 PAs). By the time the second half came around, Hiura was up and Moose was back at 3B, so he never got consistent playing time at that point.

- 2020 wasn't 2017 or 2018, but he did bounce back to a 92 wRC+ in another small sample of 180 PAs

- All the projections have him improving offensively from last year, and ZiPS is especially optimistic on him returning with a 22 HR season if he gets about 2/3rds playing time

- He was one of the best defensive 3B available this offseason. Shaw at 3rd, Urias/Arcia at SS, Wong at 2B, Cain back in CF should be really good defensively and should benefit the whole pitching staff (as long as Hiura at 1B doesn't end up negating all that... *cross fingers!*)

If he can produce close to 100 wRC+ and play above average defense at third, this could be a major win. That could also have a nice side effect of solidify SS as well, as Urias could prove to be a pretty big upgrade over Arcia there as well.

Last edited by MrAllen on February 16, 2021, 9:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:18 PM Post
If Shaw can’t beat the guys currently on this roster then he should be retired.

Quote   Reply 
Offline    Re: Brewers sign Travis Shaw- $1.5m Minor League Deal, $1.5 more in incentives, with an opt-out

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:25 PM Post

Roster Guru
mark your calendars for 15 march. that's the reported opt-out date for shaw if he isn't added to the 40-man roster. that's quite early in camp.

shaw does have a minor league option remaining, but has enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

there are 21 non-roster invitees in big league camp.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:29 PM Post
djoctagone said:
mark your calendars for 15 march. that's the reported opt-out date for shaw if he isn't added to the 40-man roster. that's quite early in camp.

shaw does have a minor league option remaining, but has enough service time to refuse the optional assignment.

Yeah that’s only two weeks worth of games. I’m guessing he’d have to look pretty crappy in those two weeks not to make the roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:31 PM Post
Always liked Shaw, really like this move... He shouldnt have a hard time making the team.

Wong
Cain
Yelich
Hiura
Shaw
Garcia
Narvaez
Urias/Arcia

Look at that power 3-7 and the awesome L-R balance.

Shaw/Robertson or Urias will be a nice productive platoon... I would rather go Shaw/Robertson... Its Urias’ time to show us what he’s got at SS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:35 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
djoctagone said:

Yeah that’s only two weeks worth of games. I’m guessing he’d have to look pretty crappy in those two weeks not to make the roster.

Seems like just a creative way to delay making a 40-man decision. "We want to offer you $3M, but we don't want to be forced to do a corresponding move right now. If you let us sign you as a NRI, we'll give you $1.5M now and another $1.5M on March 15th when we make it official."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:36 PM Post
Given how little competition Shaw should have from other (non-Robertson) utility guys in camp, I wonder if the non-guaranteed aspect of this and the early opt-out suggests they are still looking at other 3B options?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 9:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrAllen said:
All the projections have him improving offensively from last year, and ZiPS is especially optimistic on him returning with a 22 HR season if he gets about 2/3rds playing time

Clay Davenport's system projects him to slash .228 BA / .323 OBP / .418 SLG. Davenport's system is very high on his defensive projection.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 10:05 PM Post
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 41505?s=21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 10:24 PM Post
Someone call up Ryan Braun and get him back in Milwaukee. Gotta run back 6/8 of the 2018 NLCS lineup this year:

CF Cain
RF Yelich
LF Braun
3B Shaw
C Piña
SS Arcia

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 10:32 PM Post
He makes the team if he has anything more than the 2019 Shaw who seemed to have forgotten how to hit a baseball. One of those who fell of the cliff when Haines came to town.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2021, 11:48 PM Post
I wonder how negotiations went given what his agent had to say when he left. Will this be asked about by the cracker jack reporters covering the team or is it just water over the dam at this point.

Travis Shaw’s agent, Joe Bick, texted me this statement regarding Shaw, now a free agent: “If Travis can be in a spot where a team just trusts and believes in him, they’ll get tremendous results.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 3:48 AM Post
Gotta thing the team on the deal is either going with Vogelbach or Shaw and the casualty basically pays for the other

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 82 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply