LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 Lineup

Offline  Re: 2021 Lineup

Posted: February 23, 2021, 10:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
True Blue Brew Crew said:
To this day it's clear to me that most people don't realize just how much it hampered many batters not to be able to watch video between at-bats last year. If you need something to base a leap in faith on a return to form for hitters who fell of a cliff last year, uh that's it.

That's a really good point, and one that hasn't really been brought up much. It appears that players are not going to have the traditional access to the video room this season, but they will have iPads in the dugout that will allow them to access the same information they would have gotten in the film room. I think that really affected Yelich last year, along with many other star hitters across MLB.

The Athletic had an article about this in January:

https://theathletic.com/2294118/2021/01 ... an-yelich/

“To be honest, it sucks,” Cubs shortstop Javier Báez said last September of the lack of in-game video. “I make my adjustments during the game. I watch my swing. I watch where the ball was, where the contact was. I’m really mad that we don’t have it. I know a lot of players are struggling, too. A lot of stars are struggling. I’m just one more. But the way that it is is not the way we play baseball. I need video. I need video to make adjustments during the game.”

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2021, 3:20 PM Post
It can be argued that video is not a purist way to play the game anyway.
It's not a good look to have these guys whining about it.
A lot of things in the world were different in 2020, deal with it like the rest of us.
Did Carew, Gwynn, Ruth and Mantle have video to hit better?
To be honest, I had no idea guys were this addicted to video during the game.
Just another reason to respect the old guys who didn't have such a crutch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2021, 3:29 PM Post
Hopper said:
It can be argued that video is not a purist way to play the game anyway.
It's not a good look to have these guys whining about it.
A lot of things in the world were different in 2020, deal with it like the rest of us.
Did Carew, Gwynn, Ruth and Mantle have video to hit better?
To be honest, I had no idea guys were this addicted to video during the game.
Just another reason to respect the old guys who didn't have such a crutch.

The obvious counter is to point out that those guys weren't exposed to nearly as much upper 90's heat nor the type of movement pitchers get on their breaking pitches in the modern game. Believe me, for the good of the sport, fans should want these hitters to have access to video to level the playing field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:15 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Believe me, for the good of the sport, fans should want these hitters to have access to video to level the playing field.

What is the point of the mound, anyway? Get rid of video, get rid of the mound...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:44 PM Post
Hitters don't watch video to adjust their swings mid-game...the value in it is that video gives them an idea on how pitchers/catchers are trying to get them and other hitters out with pitch/location sequence. Video lets them see pitch selection and the intended location of a pitch, and they can zip through that footage quickly leading up to their next AB. I'm not sure on exactly what can be shown in the clubhouses, but another value video would bring is old ABs from various relievers to give them that visual scouting report of how they may be pitched to the next time they face each other.

The obvious counter is to point out that those guys weren't exposed to nearly as much upper 90's heat nor the type of movement pitchers get on their breaking pitches in the modern game. Believe me, for the good of the sport, fans should want these hitters to have access to video to level the playing field.

Between games, sure - but I actually prefer no video use during the game....otherwise there will be another Astros-related incident where it's used to gain an unfair advantage between the lines while the game is being played.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 45 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply