LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 61 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Fernando Tatis Jr. Extension - 14 years, $340 million

Offline  Fernando Tatis Jr. Extension - 14 years, $340 million

Posted: February 17, 2021, 7:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
Per Robert Murray: Fernando Tatis Jr. and the San Diego Padres are in agreement on a 14-year, $340 million contract extension, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Fernando Tatís Jr.’s extension is the third-largest contract in baseball history and the largest deal for a pre-arbitration eligible player, surpassing Mike Trout’s first extension of 144 million. Tatís Jr is represented by Dan Lozano and Roger Tomas of MVP Sports Group.

——————
Impressive commitment from San Diego although the years are even more staggering than the AAV.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Fernando Tatis Jr. Extension - 14 years, $340 million

Posted: February 17, 2021, 7:50 PM Post
Once again I ask, how is Robert Murray the hotshot scoop breaker after breaking in as Brewer's beat just four years ago??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 7:52 PM Post
Good for Fernando.

Goes to show that owners can still shell out the dough even though they made "no money" last year.

Man, Padres fans must be feeling like we did back before the 2018 season! I always have a soft spot for them after living there for high school. They deserve to see some winning baseball now that the Chargers are gone!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Fernando Tatis Jr. Extension - 14 years, $340 million

Posted: February 17, 2021, 7:53 PM Post
Again I ask - where in holy hell is SD getting all this money?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 7:58 PM Post
All owners can afford to sign whoever they want, they just choose not to. It’s as simple as that. Good for Padres fans.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:00 PM Post
MillerParkSouth said:
All owners can afford to sign whoever they want, they just choose not to. It’s as simple as that. Good for Padres fans.

This.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Sort of wild that Tatis Jr. signed as a 16-year old international prospect with the White Sox back in 2015 for $700,000, and now six years later and just one month after turning 22-years old he now has $340 million guaranteed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
jjgott said:
MillerParkSouth said:

This.

Not this. This is what fans want to believe.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:07 PM Post
MillerParkSouth said:

I feel like this should be stickied to the top of every board on this forum.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:09 PM Post
What an offseason for San Diego. Must be fun to be a Padres fan right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:11 PM Post
I guess this means he'll be traded to the Yankees five years from now for three mid level prospects and a boatload of salary relief.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:13 PM Post
trwi7 said:
MillerParkSouth said:

I feel like this should be stickied to the top of every board on this forum.

Even though it's completely untrue.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:13 PM Post
Happy for Mr. Tatis.

Sad for Brewers fans that will now use this to show how cheap and lousy of an owner they think we have.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:15 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
jjgott said:
MillerParkSouth said:

This.

The Brewers have averaged almost 10,000 more fans per game than the Padres over the last 10 years. In that time we have made the postseason 4 times (including two NLCS's) to the Padres 1. Both teams made money off the sale of BAM. CA's top marginal tax rate is almost double WI. You are correct that I want to believe that the Brewers to have the same capacity to sign players as the Padres do.

Last edited by jjgott on February 17, 2021, 8:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
If you rewind 14 years ago to 2007, Troy Tulowitzki was the 22-year old shortstop that was just breaking onto the scene. Granted, Tatis' success to this point has far exceeded anything Tulowitzki did in his early 20s.

It'll be fascinating to see if he lives up to (or even exceeds) this contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:20 PM Post
How is that at all proof that owners can pay whatever? It's the exact opposite. The only way this happens is because they offered 14 years. If Tatis Jr. Is a Hall of Fame player the final 7 years of that contract are going to look like a steal.

The AAV isn't even anything crazy, like at all. Tatis just chose to leave potential money on the table in exchange for now having ZERO risk moving forward.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:25 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
jjgott said:
MillerParkSouth said:

This.

Minor edit, this is what fans who know absolutely nothing about business or even the very basics of financial management think...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:32 PM Post
I'd love to be a Padres fan about now. May they never force him to apologize for jacking a grand slam ever again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:33 PM Post
It's in essence a 10 year $300 million deal for a 26 y/o Tatis. Except it's like a decade after the one they gave 26 y/o Machado who isn't as good. It's sort of hard to see it not working out well for them given how incredible the guy is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 17, 2021, 8:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle regarding the owners. I do think the large majority of ownership groups "could" afford well beyond what they spend currently as long as they were willing to eat into their own budgeted returns. There was once a time where owning a baseball team was viewed more as a hobby for really rich people. Owning a team was a trophy rather than a surefire money making entity. I think Mike Ilitch may have been among the last of that breed. Baseball ownership groups now focus on return on investment. Building countless different sources for guarantee revenue streams is now vital, and once they begin routinely tapping into those various sources of revenue I don't think they have a lot of motivation take a step back just to put a slightly better product on the field that may or may not lead to additional revenue (i.e. playoff sales). If you need proof that the owners continue finding new revenue streams despite keeping salaries relatively consistent just look at the fact they've already sold the media rights for a round of the playoffs that doesn't even currently exist. I've seen speculation that in some cases being part of an MLB ownership group guarantees more consistent ROI gains than the stock market.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 61 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply