LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments (Latest- Mather Resigns)

Author Message
Offline  Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments (Latest- Mather Resigns)
#1

Posted: February 21, 2021, 7:17 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1749
Controversy brewing in Seattle over comments made by Mariners President Kevin Mather to the Bellevue Breakfast Rotary Club: https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/2/2 ... otary-club

Highlights:

Complained that they had to spend $75,000 on an interpreter for Hisashi Iwakuma. Joked that once he threatened to fire the interpreter, Iwakuma's English "suddenly got better"

Randomly mentioned that prospect Julio Rodriguez's English wasn't very good, which prompted a meme-reply from Julio. FWIW, Julio has been working on his English for a while and called his parents after doing his first interview 100% in English.

Under no circumstances were the Mariners going to start the service clock of any of their prospects last year. "if we had an injury problem or COVID outbreak, you might’ve seen my big tummy out there in left field. You would not have seen our prospects playing in T-Mobile Park."

Disclosed that Jarred Kelenic turned down a long term deal and implied the Player's Union influenced Kelenic to turn down the deal. Said that Kelenic will start in AAA to "get more at bats" before being called up after the Super Two cutoff passes.

Claims the baseball industry lost $2.9 billion last year


Not a good look for a guy who already had to apologize for a culture of sexual harassment that resulted in multiple financial settlements.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#2

Posted: February 21, 2021, 7:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2128
If we had two of the top five prospects in baseball, I'd be pretty pissed if our President decided to knock the English of a 20 year old Dominican, and freely admit that he's keeping the other down to save money while dropping details of his contract negotiations. Made worse that Seattle's been the pits of baseball for a generation.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#3

Posted: February 21, 2021, 8:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3633
Location: California
This is just plain stupid. The Mariners have the longest running streak of not making the playoffs in the four major sports and they appear to be rounding the corner to being good again. This tarnishes a lot of the shine. This guy should be fired tomorrow.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#4

Posted: February 21, 2021, 8:31 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 167
This guy is pretty messed up in the head. I always wonder how ignorant people like this become in power in a field we all would die to work in. He is a minority owner as well? Not good.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#5

Posted: February 21, 2021, 8:37 PM Post
Posts: 5715
Location: New Berlin, WI
Warning Track Power said:
This is just plain stupid. The Mariners have the longest running streak of not making the playoffs in the four major sports and they appear to be rounding the corner to being good again. This tarnishes a lot of the shine. This guy should be fired tomorrow.


He should be fired if the owner of the team decides he should be fired, not because a bunch of loud and salty fans think he should be fired.

That said, this is definitely a really bad look and gives kelenic real ammunition for his inevitable grievance in a few years. It's also going to be that much more difficult to bring talent to Seattle. All things equal, I think a player will probably choose to play for a different front office. Seattle will probably have to pay a premium while this guy is around.

And there's some stuff in there that's racially insensitive at the very least. I have a much bigger problem with that stuff than his admitting to service time manipulation. I would definitely like to see him face consequences from those comments and learn something from them.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#6

Posted: February 21, 2021, 8:43 PM Post
Posts: 5715
Location: New Berlin, WI
Aside from that, I'm not buying the 2.9 billion number. I think that number is more likely to be lost revenue than a net loss. Like they brought 2.9 billion less through the door than they budgeted they would have brought in under normal conditions. That's pure speculation of course as very few have any idea what the brewers finances look like.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#7

Posted: February 21, 2021, 9:13 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3633
Location: California
KeithStone53151 said:
Warning Track Power said:
This is just plain stupid. The Mariners have the longest running streak of not making the playoffs in the four major sports and they appear to be rounding the corner to being good again. This tarnishes a lot of the shine. This guy should be fired tomorrow.


He should be fired if the owner of the team decides he should be fired, not because a bunch of loud and salty fans think he should be fired.

That said, this is definitely a really bad look and gives kelenic real ammunition for his inevitable grievance in a few years. It's also going to be that much more difficult to bring talent to Seattle. All things equal, I think a player will probably choose to play for a different front office. Seattle will probably have to pay a premium while this guy is around.

And there's some stuff in there that's racially insensitive at the very least. I have a much bigger problem with that stuff than his admitting to service time manipulation. I would definitely like to see him face consequences from those comments and learn something from them.

Interesting response. You basically defend his comments from loud and salty fans but then make the case more forcefully than I did for him to be fired.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#8

Posted: February 21, 2021, 9:31 PM Post
Posts: 71
KeithStone53151 said:
Aside from that, I'm not buying the 2.9 billion number. I think that number is more likely to be lost revenue than a net loss. Like they brought 2.9 billion less through the door than they budgeted they would have brought in under normal conditions. That's pure speculation of course as very few have any idea what the brewers finances look like.

It definitely isn't just the loss in revenues. What I'm not certain about is did they actually lose $2.9 billion or, for example, did they lose $1.9 billion but were expected to make $1 billion.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#9

Posted: February 21, 2021, 9:33 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3433
This article attempts to break down 2020 MLB finances & apparently Manfred threw around a similar figure back in October...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... n-in-2020/

Commissioner Rob Manfred reportedly told Sportico in late October that MLB would suffer between $2.8 billion and $3 billion in “operational losses.”


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#10

Posted: February 22, 2021, 7:53 AM Post
Posts: 3201
sveumrules said:
This article attempts to break down 2020 MLB finances & apparently Manfred threw around a similar figure back in October...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... n-in-2020/

Commissioner Rob Manfred reportedly told Sportico in late October that MLB would suffer between $2.8 billion and $3 billion in “operational losses.”

Good article, thanks for sharing.

It’s hard to take the claim fully at face value when the MLB spokesman clarifies, “the figures include non-cash expenses like depreciation and amortization.”

Find anything hard to believe financially as well if I don't see it but every business has depreciation and amortization so not sure why that would make you not believe financial information.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#11

Posted: February 22, 2021, 8:12 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6723
How's his Spanish?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#12

Posted: February 22, 2021, 8:14 AM Post
Posts: 14286
Kevin Mathers is from Madison, WI and is a UW-Madison graduate, I believe.

I think this is blown a bit out of proportion. The service time stuff, who cares, every team in baseball is the same way. Is anyone shocked about that? As far as dumping on a few players English...yah, not the best thing to do. However, I think one could work back from that without 'cancel culture' forcing him to be fired. Of course he has the history of not creating the best workplace environment, so it isn't like this is his first mistake. Sad part is a good chunk of baseball executives probably have similar ignorant thoughts about foreign players...that's what you get when the leaders in the sport are of certain demographics for the most part.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#13

Posted: February 22, 2021, 8:30 AM Post
Posts: 5715
Location: New Berlin, WI
Warning Track Power said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Warning Track Power said:
This is just plain stupid. The Mariners have the longest running streak of not making the playoffs in the four major sports and they appear to be rounding the corner to being good again. This tarnishes a lot of the shine. This guy should be fired tomorrow.


He should be fired if the owner of the team decides he should be fired, not because a bunch of loud and salty fans think he should be fired.

That said, this is definitely a really bad look and gives kelenic real ammunition for his inevitable grievance in a few years. It's also going to be that much more difficult to bring talent to Seattle. All things equal, I think a player will probably choose to play for a different front office. Seattle will probably have to pay a premium while this guy is around.

And there's some stuff in there that's racially insensitive at the very least. I have a much bigger problem with that stuff than his admitting to service time manipulation. I would definitely like to see him face consequences from those comments and learn something from them.

Interesting response. You basically defend his comments from loud and salty fans but then make the case more forcefully than I did for him to be fired.


There are other possible consequences than getting fired. Some sort of racial sensitivity training for one thing. I agree with plush to a degree regarding the whole cancel culture thing being gross. That said, I would like to see some sort of consequence.

Regarding kelenic, I like how this dude speaks about his confidence like it's a bad thing. I'd consider it a huge problem if he wasn't super cocky. Name an mlb star that isn't extremely confident/cocky?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#14

Posted: February 22, 2021, 8:49 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13600
Can we avoid a cancel culture discussion? Thanks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#15

Posted: February 22, 2021, 8:52 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10416
KeithStone53151 said:
There are other possible consequences than getting fired. Some sort of racial sensitivity training for one thing.?


'Sensitivity training' is what corporations do to imply that they did something about a situation without really doing something about a situation.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#16

Posted: February 22, 2021, 9:27 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 925
Location: Chicago
BallFour said:
This guy is pretty messed up in the head. I always wonder how ignorant people like this become in power in a field we all would die to work in. He is a minority owner as well? Not good.


Money (or Money and connections)?


Last edited by Jopal78! on February 22, 2021, 9:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#17

Posted: February 22, 2021, 9:29 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 167
sveumrules said:
This article attempts to break down 2020 MLB finances & apparently Manfred threw around a similar figure back in October...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... n-in-2020/

Commissioner Rob Manfred reportedly told Sportico in late October that MLB would suffer between $2.8 billion and $3 billion in “operational losses.”

Good article, thanks for sharing.

It’s hard to take the claim fully at face value when the MLB spokesman clarifies, “the figures include non-cash expenses like depreciation and amortization.”



Why would a non-cash expense make you not take the claim at face value? "Non-cash" expense still means cash flow out at one point and time.

I get not taking the claim at face value for other reasons but non cash expense isn't it for me.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#18

Posted: February 22, 2021, 9:34 AM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 7008
He’ll be fired today. It’s the weekend or it would have been done already.

You all can rationalize it however you want but the amount of damage done here is severe. Which is kind of impressive because Mariners fans already hate the Mariners as an organization and I didn’t even think there was this much collateral to destroy—but they had done a good job marketing the prospects which of course was all wiped out over the weekend.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#19

Posted: February 22, 2021, 9:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3633
Location: California
KeithStone53151 said:
There are other possible consequences than getting fired. Some sort of racial sensitivity training for one thing. I agree with plush to a degree regarding the whole cancel culture thing being gross. That said, I would like to see some sort of consequence.

Regarding kelenic, I like how this dude speaks about his confidence like it's a bad thing. I'd consider it a huge problem if he wasn't super cocky. Name an mlb star that isn't extremely confident/cocky?

While the statements in and of themselves are just bad (without going deeper) and deserve significant punishment, I think my concern as the Mariners owner with the statement would be the impact of credibility as an already forgotten organization. We haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and now our President is attacking our two best prospects that could help lead us there. More importantly, it appears to be for no greater reason than one declining a contract extension and the other not having English as a first language.

Pretty gross leadership.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#20

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:11 AM Post
Posts: 854
Not endorsing anything he said/did. But raising a question, how frequently do you think foreign players blur the lines for needing an interpreter? Would they fake it to a degree to get a friend a solid salary? If he saw that first hand his statement on that one topic would make sense. By no means do I think that’s the norm. Actually first time I’m hearing anything of the sort. But people in general, not just sports, do shady things to find cracks in the armor. Being in the business world myself, nothing really surprises me of what people will do. And sometimes calling the “crime” out is viewed worse than the act itself. Obviously, context and delivery are important to.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mattsr0625, mrn1ceguy, StearnsFTW and 11 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test