LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments (Latest- Mather Resigns)

Author Message
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#21

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:22 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10377
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Obviously, context and delivery are important to.


The issue in my mind is why he felt the need to discuss the English speaking abilities of three different players in the first place. Unless he was at a Rotary meeting with English as a Second Language as its topic, why even go there? It suggests that he was either pandering to an audience with a questionable motive, or ranting about something that is an odd and problematic topic of conversation for him to bring up at all. Very strange...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#22

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:25 AM Post
Posts: 14246
What exactly was he speaking at and how drunk was he? His comments are so random/rant/out there they sound like something that would come out of some guys mouth at a random bar at 2am.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#23

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:28 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10377
MrTPlush said:
What exactly was he speaking at and how drunk was he? His comments are so random/rant/out there they sound like something that would come out of some guys mouth at a random bar at 2am.


Agreed on the last point. I heard it was a Rotary club meeting, and those are usually over lunch....


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#24

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:32 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13543
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Not endorsing anything he said/did. But raising a question, how frequently do you think foreign players blur the lines for needing an interpreter? Would they fake it to a degree to get a friend a solid salary? If he saw that first hand his statement on that one topic would make sense. By no means do I think that’s the norm. Actually first time I’m hearing anything of the sort. But people in general, not just sports, do shady things to find cracks in the armor. Being in the business world myself, nothing really surprises me of what people will do. And sometimes calling the “crime” out is viewed worse than the act itself. Obviously, context and delivery are important to.


I think I'd give him a little more leeway if he was calling out just one guy but to go on a rant about more than one player is a problem.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#25

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:36 AM Post
Posts: 2470
Location: Madison, WI
Kevin Mather is an excellent baseball executive. His organization recently swindled a bunch of dumb, dumb, dumb Seattle politicians out of another 135 million for stadium upgrades. Mission accomplished. And then, to show some good will after the free handout, the Mariners cut the payroll from 150 million to 100 million and will probably be down around 70 million this season. And after all that, people will now be offended over these comments, LOL.

I guess I have all my priorities screwed up. I'm more concerned over what that 135 million could have been used for (education, public health...rather than buying a $500 toaster) instead than what Mather has to say. Considering his history, everyone who pays attention already knows that he is a rich, money-grabbing, questionable-character sort of person. But whatever, idiot sports "journalists" will continue to act enraged about statements like this, and then turn around and act like it's just fine to give the same group of guys 100's of millions of dollars when they don't need it.

And as for the people who think I'm joking with the $500 toaster comment, see item 25 under Clubhouse Equipment on page 146 of this document-
http://douglas-sma.com/wp-content/uploa ... ft_III.pdf
But don't worry, YOU the people, are not really getting ripped off here because this is a fancy four slice model, unlike the $10 two slice piece of junk all of you non-essentials generally use. Players really need that, without that toaster the club just cannot expect to remain competitive.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#26

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:44 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13543
I'd be willing to bet there were plenty of journalists that called out the stadium swindle. Here is one:

https://deadspin.com/mariners-demand-18 ... 1827920723

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#27

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:48 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6691
The toaster at work was a lot nicer than the one at my house because it was used by 500 people every day.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#28

Posted: February 22, 2021, 10:53 AM Post
Posts: 2470
Location: Madison, WI
homer said:
I'd be willing to bet there were plenty of journalists that called out the stadium swindle. Here is one:

https://deadspin.com/mariners-demand-18 ... 1827920723


I notice how you have to go to Deadspin for something like that, and not one of the major sport media outlets (ESPN, CBS Sports).

Kind of like the the Fiserv Forum rip-off. Bruce Murphy of Urban Milwaukee had some incredibly good articles on that swindle. Not one negative peep out of the Journal-Sentinel.

fieldofschemes.com ...one of the very best websites.

It's well worth reading their take on Mather's comments-

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2021/02/2 ... d-english/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#29

Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:25 AM Post
Posts: 494
He may get the Donald Sterling treatment. "We are so mad at you, Donald, we are going to punish you by making you sell the Clippers. Just to show you how mad we are, here is $2 billion. I hope you think about what you did!"


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#30

Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:46 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 12391
homer said:
Can we avoid a cancel culture discussion? Thanks.


I'm curious, seriously, just curious as to why this term bothers you so much.

Is it a political issue. Do you consider cancel culture to be a political term that causes issues in discussion?

I wasn't aware that cancel culture was an offensive term, but I figured you were offended by the term when I used it a few weeks ago, and you removed my post.

Again, not trying to start anything, just want to understand why the term can't be used...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#31

Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:50 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13543
turborickey said:
homer said:
Can we avoid a cancel culture discussion? Thanks.


I'm curious, seriously, just curious as to why this term bothers you so much.

Is it a political issue. Do you consider cancel culture to be a political term that causes issues in discussion?

I wasn't aware that cancel culture was an offensive term, but I figured you were offended by the term when I used it a few weeks ago, and you removed my post.

Again, not trying to start anything, just want to understand why the term can't be used...



It doesn't bother me. It's political/contentious.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#32

Posted: February 22, 2021, 11:54 AM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6997
JosephC, you're giving Mather too much credit for getting the stadium money. The Mariners' stadium is a public asset so the county was backed into a corner from the initial agreements when the stadium was built. He only got $135 million of the $180 million that was asked for...$5.4 million/year. Not saying it isn't a taxpayer scam because it is, but it's not like he did anything special to get a continuation of the current agreement at 75% of what was requested.

Mather will get fired, and yes, the reason will mostly be for speaking openly about practices that all 30 franchises are engaging in, thus damaging MLB's bargaining position in the upcoming CBA negotiations.

--

A take from a Mariners fan blog: https://www.lookoutlanding.com/platform ... ssion=true

There’s little surprising in these statements, as it is what many assume to be believed by those at the top of the organizational ladder across the league, but none before Mather has had the incompetence to lay things out so plainly. No player has successfully won a grievance against a team for service time manipulation, in large part due to the narrow interpretation for the offense. The standard of proof falls just short of a taped confession the club intends to hold a player down for those reasons, and lo, Mather has given the MLB Players Union the closest thing to that they’ve had yet. It may not be enough still, but it is bulletin board material for every frustrated union member, every disaffected minor leaguer, and every baseball operations employee attempting to instill a culture of commitment to an organization, knowing every player they face has less reason to buy in and trust than they did the day before.


Plus this statement from the Mariners' subreddit:

This sub will not be organizing any group outings while he works for the team. We also advise everyone to not buy any tickets or watch the team. Further, we advise people to call their cable providers and ask to stop carrying team-owned ROOT sports. Finally, we advise people to return any purchased tickets for the upcoming season.

This will stay stickied and be our advice until Kevin Mather is no longer with the team.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#33

Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:10 PM Post
User avatar

GIF Master
Posts: 9213
Every time I hear someone run their mouth like this, I think of the few seconds from 1:13 to 1:19



 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#34

Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:21 PM Post
Posts: 5707
Location: New Berlin, WI
homer said:
turborickey said:
homer said:
Can we avoid a cancel culture discussion? Thanks.


I'm curious, seriously, just curious as to why this term bothers you so much.

Is it a political issue. Do you consider cancel culture to be a political term that causes issues in discussion?

I wasn't aware that cancel culture was an offensive term, but I figured you were offended by the term when I used it a few weeks ago, and you removed my post.

Again, not trying to start anything, just want to understand why the term can't be used...



It doesn't bother me. It's political/contentious.


He's right, it is political and I shouldn't have brought it up on this board.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#35

Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:25 PM Post
Posts: 5707
Location: New Berlin, WI
JosephC said:
Kevin Mather is an excellent baseball executive. His organization recently swindled a bunch of dumb, dumb, dumb Seattle politicians out of another 135 million for stadium upgrades. Mission accomplished. And then, to show some good will after the free handout, the Mariners cut the payroll from 150 million to 100 million and will probably be down around 70 million this season. And after all that, people will now be offended over these comments, LOL


I'm much more annoyed with them going from 150 to 100 than from 100 to 70. As much as the $2.9 billion number is more or less garbage, I doubt the owners did anything but lose money last year. And with fans in the stands uncertain at best currently, I can understand cutting payroll a bit this year. But, he doesn't really have an excuse to go from 150 to 100 when revenue was exploding. With Mark A, I trust he will go for it and make a big payroll boost if the situation calls for it...he's proven it. The Mariners don't really seem that way at all. So them dropping payroll is more or less just a money grab.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#36

Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:40 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6357
Didn't the Mariners just bring up a ton of top prospects though in a rebuild campaign? Seems like our payroll tanked when we were rolling up JJ/Hart/Braun/Fielder/Weeks, then invested in their prime years. Obviously, I have no idea what they are doing, but I'm just saying that their might've been more to it. Easy to be an arm-chair GM from a distance.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#37

Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:49 PM Post
Posts: 7
Location: St.Croix County
"We brought 18, 19, 20 year old kids who never would have seen T-Mobile Park or Cheney Stadium if not for COVID."

Doesn't sound like he was unwilling to start the clock on regular prospects just the ones noted in the above quote.

"Because there was no chance you were going to see these young players at T-Mobile Park. We weren’t going to put them on the 40-man roster, we weren’t going to start the service time clock."


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#38

Posted: February 22, 2021, 12:57 PM Post
Posts: 5707
Location: New Berlin, WI
GreatNWwi said:
"We brought 18, 19, 20 year old kids who never would have seen T-Mobile Park or Cheney Stadium if not for COVID."

Doesn't sound like he was unwilling to start the clock on regular prospects just the ones noted in the above quote.

"Because there was no chance you were going to see these young players at T-Mobile Park. We weren’t going to put them on the 40-man roster, we weren’t going to start the service time clock."


There's a big $$ difference in starting the clock early on your 18th best prospect than there is on a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#39

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:22 PM Post
Posts: 69
Seattle is obviously going through a full rebuild right now. Teams that do that will always slash payroll. You hope the prospects turn out and then spending will increase when the team is on the right course. Seattle has had a history of spending money, perhaps not even wisely, so you would expect them to do so in the future. I remember when Crane bought the Astros. Their payroll was slashed several years in a row. They were horrible but fans were outraged at how cheap the new owner was. Never made sense to spend a bunch of money when the team overall is horrible. Houston got good and their payroll rose accordingly.


Last edited by Simba2020 on February 22, 2021, 1:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Mariners President Kevin Mather's Comments
#40

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:27 PM Post
Posts: 7
Location: St.Croix County
KeithStone53151 said:
GreatNWwi said:
"We brought 18, 19, 20 year old kids who never would have seen T-Mobile Park or Cheney Stadium if not for COVID."

Doesn't sound like he was unwilling to start the clock on regular prospects just the ones noted in the above quote.

"Because there was no chance you were going to see these young players at T-Mobile Park. We weren’t going to put them on the 40-man roster, we weren’t going to start the service time clock."


There's a big $$ difference in starting the clock early on your 18th best prospect than there is on a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.


The two I assume you are referring to are 20 and 21 year old prospects. There is no smoking gun that show he was talking about either of them. He even pointed out that the players he was talking about had no chance of seeing AAA or the bigs if not for Covid.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dlk9s, LennyBrisco, RobDeer 45, SomewhereInTime, superfly, turborickey and 13 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test