LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 33 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

MLB moving the All-Star Game

Offline  Re: MLB moving the All-Star Game

Posted: April 02, 2021, 6:50 PM Post
It makes more sense to put it in a place that doesn’t have restrictions on fans.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: April 02, 2021, 7:50 PM Post
Brew4U said:
It makes more sense to put it in a place that doesn’t have restrictions on fans.

MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions? I know what you are going to say “money”...but I am skeptical. It would be a terrible look for the league to totally disregard safety like that even if it is months off where restrictions won’t be bad...in April 2021 it would look terrible.

I would be somewhat surprised if Texas wants it this year. With a new stadium they are an automatic host in the next few years. Why take a pandemic mess of a year to host?

Posted: April 02, 2021, 8:39 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions? I know what you are going to say “money”...but I am skeptical. It would be a terrible look for the league to totally disregard safety like that even if it is months off where restrictions won’t be bad...in April 2021 it would look terrible.

I would be somewhat surprised if Texas wants it this year. With a new stadium they are an automatic host in the next few years. Why take a pandemic mess of a year to host?

Interesting about the MLB denying sausage races but I more so meant that Texas was allowing full capacity of fans. That might be a driving force for the games atmosphere.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: April 02, 2021, 8:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions?

Regarding the sausage race, it’s my understanding they require anyone with access to the field level to be part of the daily tier one or tier two testing protocols. So in that context it makes sense you’d go without any entertainment acts on the field for the time being.

Posted: April 02, 2021, 8:57 PM Post
Eye Black said:
MrTPlush said:
MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions?

Regarding the sausage race, it’s my understanding they require anyone with access to the field level to be part of the daily tier one or tier two testing protocols. So in that context it makes sense you’d go without any entertainment acts on the field for the time being.

Right, my point was that it was an MLB limitation and not the Brewers or Milwaukee officials. I’m not sure MLB would go with such a setting (Texas and zero protocols) and announce it in today’s COVID climate. I just don’t know the non sports media would take that well. The risk of getting rolled over the coals may not be worth it.

It’s just...pretty silly in all honesty. But whatever it is what it is. I will be thrilled to be at the ballpark Sunday with my soon to be 5 year old who has missed out on some Brewers baseball for awhile. Unfortunately the sausage race is an incredibly strong memory for him...so he is a bit disappointed that won’t happen. Hopefully they didn’t ban ice cream (specifically dipping’ dots), because that is his other strong memory of going to baseball games.

Posted: April 02, 2021, 9:01 PM Post
My guess is that things will be back to "basically normal" for the 2022 season. But maybe I am overly optimistic.

Posted: April 03, 2021, 6:56 AM Post

Roster Guru
great insight on what factors led to the decision. it culminated on a conference call with commissioner rob manfred and the executive council--eight mlb owners. mark attanasio is on said executive council, and evidently, provided counsel.

Posted: April 03, 2021, 9:36 AM Post
Eye Black said:
I assume they’ll also move the Future’s Game to the new ASG host city, but I’m curious if the MLB Draft (which was supposed to be in Atlanta during the All-Star break) will move to the new host city or just default back to the old venue near the league offices.

Yes, "the whole smash" (name the movie) was moved...

Future's Game/ HR Derby/ Draft/ everything with the All Star game this year was moved....

Posted: April 03, 2021, 9:56 AM Post
djoctagone said:
great insight on what factors led to the decision. it culminated on a conference call with commissioner rob manfred and the executive council--eight mlb owners. mark attanasio is on said executive council, and evidently, provided counsel.

Based on that article it would make sense to eliminate any of the cities represented on the executive council. It's a bad look if the ASG ends up in any of those cities.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Posted: April 03, 2021, 9:58 AM Post
madbad2000 said:
I'd like to see them just go to Tampa who has never hosted it. Are we even sure that stadiums will be at full capacity by then?

If they move it to Tampa and stadiums can be at full capacity by then it would be one of the very few times that stadium is full. The only time folks flock to that place is when the Rays are playing the Yankees or Red Sox.

Posted: April 03, 2021, 10:18 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Eye Black said:
I assume they’ll also move the Future’s Game to the new ASG host city, but I’m curious if the MLB Draft (which was supposed to be in Atlanta during the All-Star break) will move to the new host city or just default back to the old venue near the league offices.

Yes, "the whole smash" (name the movie) was moved...

Future's Game/ HR Derby/ Draft/ everything with the All Star game this year was moved....

Apollo 13 was the movie in question.

That said, I fear for the future of baseball now. Oh, I think it will survive, but I think that by the end of our lifetimes, the structure of professional baseball will have changed with these events.

Posted: April 03, 2021, 12:53 PM Post
I wonder what happens if they move it to a state that does something similar?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: April 03, 2021, 1:03 PM Post
Anytime the sports we love are politicalized, it's dangerous.

I miss the days when sports and politics were seperated.

Those days are long gone it seems.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 33 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply