LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for "Two Pitchers"
Posted: April 06, 2021, 12:50 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
monty57 said:
So, has Arcia been starting over Shaw just to showcase him for a trade, or has Counsell been using Arcia more than Stearns liked so he felt the need to get rid of him.

I think Stearns and Counsell communicate enough that something like this is impossible. How can communication be so bad the GM gets so bothered by a managers use of a player that he has to ship them out of town? I just can't fathom that.

The former could certainly be true though.

... because it happened in Moneyball. Not to say that it has never happened before in real life, but the movie shed light on it probably as an exaggeration of what really happened.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 12:50 PM Post
More than I expected in return for Arcia. Sobotka will be another of those hard throwers who teams think/hope they can "fix". I think the Brewers are one of the most likely teams to do so, but chances are probably pretty slim regardless. Weigel looks a lot more intriguing, even if a mid-rotation ceiling seems likely. If either one is even an average middle reliever, 5-6 years of that is more valuable to the team than 2 years of Arcia.

Perfectly fine with the return. Neither over- or underwhelmed, just cromulently whelmed.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for "Two Pitchers"
Posted: April 06, 2021, 12:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
PeaveyFury said:
I think we have a long history as fans of trying to paint a rosier-than-accurate picture of trade return guys like Sobotka, but I'm legitimately intrigued by Weigel. Seems more than just your projectable fringe MLB arm as you'd expect.

Perhaps Sobotka could be a Corey Knebel type.

This basically proves the first part of my quoted sentence.....

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:03 PM Post
I guess it is a way to even the roster out between pitchers and position players. Sobotka probably doesn't even deserve a 40 man spot while Weigel is somewhat intriguing. It was previously mentioned that Weigel has all three options however it appears this will be his final option year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:06 PM Post
I think with Sobotka you're hoping for something like Todd Coffey. Get a year or two of quality pitching and then he probably starts to fall off to the point where he's not worth having on the roster with the likelihood that he never even becomes Todd Coffey.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:08 PM Post
Outlander said:
I guess it is a way to even the roster out between pitchers and position players. Sobotka probably doesn't even deserve a 40 man spot while Weigel is somewhat intriguing. It was previously mentioned that Weigel has all three options however it appears this will be his final option year.

yeah, I read somewhere on Twitter that he had multiple options, but it appears he was optioned in 2019, and again last year, so he's down to his last one now.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:11 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
adambr2 said:
I'm not really dreaming on Sobotka or Weigel much. They're basically older, MLB ready lottery tickets. I guess there's a best case scenario that you unlock something in one of them and get a much better return than expected. More likely, they each get turns in the annual bullpen carousel this year and aren't remembered for anything more than that.

However, Arcia is a guy I would have been fine with non-tendering so adding some organizational pitching depth if that is what it turns out to be is better than nothing.

Sobotka is pretty much Ray Black-lite. He's a power arm that can run it up there at 98 mph, but doesn't always know where it's going. Maybe he ends up being useful ... maybe not.

Weigel is substantially more intriguing. He's a guy who has put up solid minor league numbers, but was sidetracked by losing basically two seasons (2017 and 2018) to Tommy John surgery. He came back to make 18 starts between AA and AAA in 2019, and put up some very nice numbers. He's obviously quite a bit older for a prospect (will be 27 in July), but he's got a solid chance. He also has an option remaining. He was definitely the "get" in this deal, although any Braves pitching prospect scares the heck out of me.

Any particular reasons why they scare you so much? I guess you can't give them total credit for Fried, but they did develop him for most of his professional career. Probably too early to anoint Soroka or Anderson, but they look like home runs so far.

For sure they've had some misses but those will happen just from the sheer volume of pitching prospects they've got.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:15 PM Post
I have to be honest. I heard Sobotka and immediately had Soroka on the brain.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:18 PM Post
https://twitter.com/adammccalvy/status/ ... 37856?s=21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:23 PM Post
Brew4U said:
If nothing else, it brought some life to the boards. Been boring around here for a bit now.

its a lot of action for 3 guys that just got sent to their respective ATS.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:26 PM Post
adambr2 said:
adambr2 said:
I'm not really dreaming on Sobotka or Weigel much. They're basically older, MLB ready lottery tickets. I guess there's a best case scenario that you unlock something in one of them and get a much better return than expected. More likely, they each get turns in the annual bullpen carousel this year and aren't remembered for anything more than that.

However, Arcia is a guy I would have been fine with non-tendering so adding some organizational pitching depth if that is what it turns out to be is better than nothing.

Sobotka is pretty much Ray Black-lite. He's a power arm that can run it up there at 98 mph, but doesn't always know where it's going. Maybe he ends up being useful ... maybe not.

Weigel is substantially more intriguing. He's a guy who has put up solid minor league numbers, but was sidetracked by losing basically two seasons (2017 and 2018) to Tommy John surgery. He came back to make 18 starts between AA and AAA in 2019, and put up some very nice numbers. He's obviously quite a bit older for a prospect (will be 27 in July), but he's got a solid chance. He also has an option remaining. He was definitely the "get" in this deal, although any Braves pitching prospect scares the heck out of me.

Any particular reasons why they scare you so much? I guess you can't give them total credit for Fried, but they did develop him for most of his professional career. Probably too early to anoint Soroka or Anderson, but they look like home runs so far.

For sure they've had some misses but those will happen just from the sheer volume of pitching prospects they've got.

Traditionally Braves pitching prospects are given a lot of hype, but despite the large number of hyped pitchers, very few it seems have actually worked out. That number gets pretty miniscule when you try to look for pitching prospects they have traded that ended up becoming major league contributors.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:27 PM Post

Roster Guru
Outlander said:

yeah, I read somewhere on Twitter that he had multiple options, but it appears he was optioned in 2019, and again last year, so he's down to his last one now.

there were some muddy cases regarding last year's shortened season, but i think somehow, weigel's downtime after tommy john surgery is coming into play with the braves having petitioned for a fourth option year. but i thought clubs could only petition mlb for a fourth option year if the player had fewer than five years of active development and he had already burned all three options. weigel had yet to burn his third option, so a club couldn't petition for a fourth option until the upcoming offseason at the earliest.

not being a braves fan, i haven't followed his career, so i can't comment any further. nor have i closely followed how mlb resolved the options issue with the shortened 2020 season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:29 PM Post

Roster Guru
and there we have it. weigel has one option remaining, but the brewers might be able to petition for a fourth option if he burns his third in 2021.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:43 PM Post
Maybe this helps Urias relax a little knowing he's the guy even if he has a bad stretch. This is the first time since he's been here where his role is well defined. I don't think Arcia was a very good fit for the role he had here so it's probably best to move on. All things considered I'd rather those two pitchers than a utility player who didn't really fit the role he was in.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:49 PM Post
It seems the (vocal) opinion on the Braves forum is that this was a slight overpay on their end.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
adambr2 said:

I think the "scare" is from pitchers the Braves trade away, not the ones they keep. They have a reputation for being pretty good at evaluating pitching, so if they trade a pitcher away, there's probably they didn't keep him. I don't know if this is as true as it was in the past, but reputations tend to stick.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:08 PM Post
We traded Orlando Arcia, not Corbin Burnes. It is safe to say you should assume anyone we get probably has a 1% chance of being a useful player. Not sure I would be scared of any Braves prospects in a trade like this. The return is going to be "meh" no matter who you are dealing with.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:20 PM Post
Stearns seems to know what he's doing when it comes to pitching so I'm not all that worried about what team he gets it from. I doubt he cares about the hype generated by another team or media outlets preferring instead of use the metrics he's relied on since he's been here.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:25 PM Post
Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:27 PM Post
Moneywise I'd think the Brewers probably saved around $1 million in salary, possibly more, due to this trade. Arcia had a $2 million contract and all I can find on Sobotka is in 2019 he had a $565k salary and Weigel's salary is unknown. Weigel has only appeared in 1 career MLB game where he pitched 2/3 of an inning.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply