LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:38 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
Stearns seems to know what he's doing when it comes to pitching so I'm not all that worried about what team he gets it from. I doubt he cares about the hype generated by another team or media outlets preferring instead of use the metrics he's relied on since he's been here.

Does he though? He has had a few nice signs (Gio and Miley), but outside of that it hasn't been overly successful. His prized guys from last offseason (Lindblom and Lauer) have been horrendous to date. Burnes was in his first draft so hard to know how much he should even be credited for that. Devin Williams, Adrian Houser, Brandon Woodruff, Brent Suter, and Josh Hader are all guys who were here before he became the GM.

I am not trying to hate on his ability to build a pitching staff, it just doesn't seem like he has not done an overly impressive job.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
mtrebs said:
Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... [laughing]

Yep! Frank Sobotka.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:45 PM Post
Not having to pay any more of Arcia's salary was the win. Getting two relief pitchers with some upside is a steal...

Maybe the Braves owners are doing Attanasio a favor for his stance on moving the ASG game from Atlanta...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:50 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Traditionally Braves pitching prospects are given a lot of hype, but despite the large number of hyped pitchers, very few it seems have actually worked out. That number gets pretty miniscule when you try to look for pitching prospects they have traded that ended up becoming major league contributors.

Personally, I believe it all comes down to Jose Capellan. Brewers fans were expecting a long illustrious career and were disappointed. Therefore, Braves prospects that get traded are overhyped. Seems like Duane Ward, Jason Schmidt, Adam Wainwright, Matt Harrison, etc. did ok for their new teams.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:24 PM Post
Weigel comes in at #17 on the brewers top 30, according to MLB.com. been a while since the brewers acquired a prospect was actually ranked lower than his former team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:26 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Thurston Fluff said:
Stearns seems to know what he's doing when it comes to pitching so I'm not all that worried about what team he gets it from. I doubt he cares about the hype generated by another team or media outlets preferring instead of use the metrics he's relied on since he's been here.

Does he though? He has had a few nice signs (Gio and Miley), but outside of that it hasn't been overly successful. His prized guys from last offseason (Lindblom and Lauer) have been horrendous to date. Burnes was in his first draft so hard to know how much he should even be credited for that. Devin Williams, Adrian Houser, Brandon Woodruff, Brent Suter, and Josh Hader are all guys who were here before he became the GM.

I am not trying to hate on his ability to build a pitching staff, it just doesn't seem like he has not done an overly impressive job.

There are bound to be busts when forced to put a staff together via the bargain bin. What he hasn't done is mortgage the future on major contracts like Jake Arrieta or Yu Darvish. He's also been pretty good knowing when not to trade. Part of knowing pitching is knowing what you have and not getting rid of it. Stearns didn't trade players like Devin Williams, Brandon Woodruff or Corbin Burnes for players like Sonny Gray, Chris Archer or Jose Quintana. However he got the players what we've seen is a steady stream of good pitching. I think he's been here long enough to give some credit for knowing how to find pitching.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:30 PM Post
For all of the negative buzz around Arcia, he was coming off his best offensive year in 2020 (in his age 25 season), and the team is now giving up his projected peak years (the ones where he's potentially good enough to be a major-league regular, rather than a guy the club promoted too early because of a need) to hand the shortstop role over to another 23 year old.

That being said, I have high expectations for the two pitchers acquired from the Braves, based on the team's track record in recent years. They did not have a "need" to trade Arcia now, nor to sign him to a contract in the off-season, so the team at least believes they got value out of the move.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:32 PM Post
mtrebs said:
Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... [laughing]

And wasn't Weigel the names of one of the officers in RENO 911? [laughing]

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:36 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
mtrebs said:

Yep! Frank Sobotka.

And his idiot nephew Ziggy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:40 PM Post
Man, they should’ve kept Knebel and non-tendered Arcia. If the team “needs pitching” as the GM says, and they’re so strapped they don’t have 3 million dollars (the difference between Knebel salary and Arcia) heaven help them. As is I’d bet $10 the Dodgers get more from Knebel this year than the Brewers ever will from these two guys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 3:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jopal78! said:
Man, they should’ve kept Knebel and non-tendered Arcia. If the team “needs pitching” as the GM says, and they’re so strapped they don’t have 3 million dollars (the difference between Knebel salary and Arcia)

....But now they don't HAVE Arcia, so they have two pitchers AND that full $5 million.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 4:32 PM Post
I think Arcia will be non-tendered this off season, so we can always re-sign him if things don't work out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 4:42 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Jopal78! said:
Man, they should’ve kept Knebel and non-tendered Arcia. If the team “needs pitching” as the GM says, and they’re so strapped they don’t have 3 million dollars (the difference between Knebel salary and Arcia)

....But now they don't HAVE Arcia, so they have two pitchers AND that full $5 million.

Assuming they aren't eating any of Arcia's contract, plus the cost of the two pitchers.

But Knebel's velocity has ticked up again and his curve is looking good. Still early, but the Dodgers are pretty happy with it. He even got a save chance yesterday with Jansen out.

That one will hurt if Knebel returns to '17-'18 form, especially since I'm not especially high on our pen depth after the big 2.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 4:43 PM Post
I will take the 2 RPs with longer control and BP depth over a redundant Util Inf that failed expectations.
If the offense is going to be this absolute terrible, best thing to do is have a few more BP arms to pick up garbage innings to shuttle. When 2runs by an opponent seems like 5, may as well put your 24-26th BP rostered players to work. Better return imo than cost for Claudio and potential draft choice lost. And who knows? Maybe at 1-3 and the offensive fails being shown, you're planning ahead for a trade deadline where Milw has it's share of players to trade off. These two if any good shown can be included....or backup who is sent from the current bullpen(Hader,Suter,Boxberger for example)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 5:22 PM Post
A Swing and A Drive said:
mtrebs said:

And wasn't Weigel the names of one of the officers in RENO 911? [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 6:13 PM Post
This can only mean the value of my Gauntlet bobblehead has skyrocketed.

Good luck in Atlanta, Mr. October!!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 6:21 PM Post
Would anyone have been really upset if they had released Orlando? I mean, we got something for him at least.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 06, 2021, 6:42 PM Post
wallus said:
Would anyone have been really upset if they had released Orlando? I mean, we got something for him at least.

That would have been the equivalent of flushing 2 million dollars down the toilet for no good reason when they could have just released him in the spring, so I would have been a little annoyed, yes.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 06, 2021, 8:09 PM Post
StearnsFTW said:
PeaveyFury said:
mtrebs said:

Yep! Frank Sobotka.

And his idiot nephew Ziggy.

Ziggy is Frank's son, not nephew. Nick is Frank's nephew.

[wink]

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 4:32 AM Post
bjkrautk said:
For all of the negative buzz around Arcia, he was coming off his best offensive year in 2020 (in his age 25 season.

Because he ended a 60 game season on a hot streak. Last year was incredibly flukey and you basically could change the story line of your year as a hitter in the last three days.

His OPS was .666 after 57 games. Then he had a homer and a 4/4 day to inflate his OPS to .734.

Which sadly for Arcia, still would have been his best offense in years before the hot streak I suppose.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply