LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 07, 2021, 7:39 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
bjkrautk said:
For all of the negative buzz around Arcia, he was coming off his best offensive year in 2020 (in his age 25 season.

Because he ended a 60 game season on a hot streak. Last year was incredibly flukey and you basically could change the story line of your year as a hitter in the last three days.

His OPS was .666 after 57 games. Then he had a homer and a 4/4 day to inflate his OPS to .734.

Which sadly for Arcia, still would have been his best offense in years before the hot streak I suppose.

Except pretty much every one of his peripherals was better. He hit the highest percentage of line drives of his career. He had the most hard contact and the least soft contact of his career. His exit velocity was a career high. He swung at the fewest pitches outside the strike zone and made contact on a career best percentage of the pitches he did swing at. Is it possible he reverts to his previous form? Sure, especially with a likely decrease in playing time. But I just don't get the certainty a lot of people had that it was a fluke, that Arcia has always been bad and will always be bad.

That being said, the trade makes a fair amount of sense. They are going to need a lot of pitching this year, and with Lauer seemingly broken, and File, Bettinger, Brown, and Jankins all on the shelf, bringing in a guy like Weigel who could give you a potentially passable spot start or two, even if he will likely be better in the bullpen, has some value to the Brewers right now.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel
Posted: April 07, 2021, 7:57 AM Post
The trade doesn't solve the offensive issues at SS but it saves some money. Hopefully Turang takes a big step forward this year. Urias looks more like another guy than a prospect.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 8:10 AM Post
turborickey said:
StearnsFTW said:
PeaveyFury said:

Yep! Frank Sobotka.

And his idiot nephew Ziggy.

Ziggy is Frank's son, not nephew. Nick is Frank's nephew.

[wink]

I can't believe I got that wrong. But I did.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:02 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
Man, they should’ve kept Knebel and non-tendered Arcia. If the team “needs pitching” as the GM says, and they’re so strapped they don’t have 3 million dollars (the difference between Knebel salary and Arcia) heaven help them. As is I’d bet $10 the Dodgers get more from Knebel this year than the Brewers ever will from these two guys.

this

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 9:58 AM Post
Pugger said:
Jopal78! said:
Man, they should’ve kept Knebel and non-tendered Arcia. If the team “needs pitching” as the GM says, and they’re so strapped they don’t have 3 million dollars (the difference between Knebel salary and Arcia) heaven help them. As is I’d bet $10 the Dodgers get more from Knebel this year than the Brewers ever will from these two guys.

this

On raw stats, maybe. However with options available, these two will be part of the Nashville shuttle, keeping fresh arms available for the Brewers, giving them effectively a larger staff. As long as they can hold their own in low to medium leverage situations, the top guys can be saved for the high leverage situations.

At the time Arcia was tendered, Shaw and Robertson were not on the roster. The Brewers needed someone viable at the time. After the others were on the team, Arcia was less important and was traded.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 10:03 AM Post
CheeseheadInQC said:
Except pretty much every one of his peripherals was better. He hit the highest percentage of line drives of his career. He had the most hard contact and the least soft contact of his career. His exit velocity was a career high. He swung at the fewest pitches outside the strike zone and made contact on a career best percentage of the pitches he did swing at. Is it possible he reverts to his previous form? Sure, especially with a likely decrease in playing time. But I just don't get the certainty a lot of people had that it was a fluke, that Arcia has always been bad and will always be bad.

And in the second half of 2018 his peripherals were off the charts compared to the rest of his career. Wrc+ of 90, LD% over 25% (better than 2020). Back then it was the run to the "he's broken out" take for 95% of Brewer fans. How did 2019 look? Yes, Arcia has shown in a 60-70 game window that he isn't horrible and could be above average. In-between he has shown he is the worst hitter in MLB (by a long-shot). There's nothing about his results in 2019 that 2nd half 2018 was a breakout and it was wise of Stearns to sell "high" on Arcia.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 10:12 AM Post
There are no sure things when it comes to pitching but gambling $10M on Knebel was fine by me.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 10:36 AM Post
Brew4U said:
There are no sure things when it comes to pitching but gambling $10M on Knebel was fine by me.

I'm okay with "gambling" $10M-ish each on Wong and JBJ instead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 10:41 AM Post
xisxisxis said:
CheeseheadInQC said:

And in the second half of 2018 his peripherals were off the charts compared to the rest of his career. Wrc+ of 90, LD% over 25% (better than 2020). Back then it was the run to the "he's broken out" take for 95% of Brewer fans. How did 2019 look? Yes, Arcia has shown in a 60-70 game window that he isn't horrible and could be above average. In-between he has shown he is the worst hitter in MLB (by a long-shot). There's nothing about his results in 2019 that 2nd half 2018 was a breakout and it was wise of Stearns to sell "high" on Arcia.

Sure he barreled a few more pitches but he was striking out and swinging at stuff outside the zone at rates even higher than his career marks. Last year he actually improved in the areas everyone was saying he needed to improve in and the reaction was “must be a fluke.” I’m not even opposed to the trade, but it feels like anything short of an MVP type season would have been written off, and that also isn’t fair.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 2:18 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
I am no fan of Arcia’s. But I’m not sure Urias is any better.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 2:23 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Maybe the $5.25mil he is getting paid...$10mil would have been pretty steep.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 3:25 PM Post
I was definitely one who wished they'd spent the 5.25 on Knebel. Whether Knebel's 2021 ends up showing that to be smart money or not remains to be seen of course, but I thought it would be worth it to potentially have one of the greatest bullpens ever.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 4:00 PM Post
mtrebs said:
Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... [laughing]

Got a Sobotka, got an Omar... I don't think there is a McNulty available.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2021, 4:09 PM Post
Baldkin said:
mtrebs said:
Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... [laughing]

Got a Sobotka, got an Omar... I don't think there is a McNulty available.

Needed to sign Mitch "Bunk" Moreland in the offseason, or trade for Josh "Stringer" Bell.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 8:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
The trade doesn't solve the offensive issues at SS but it saves some money. Hopefully Turang takes a big step forward this year. Urias looks more like another guy than a prospect.

Doesn't change SS, but it does mean that Arcia won't be getting starts at 3B over Shaw and Robertson, both of whom should outperform Arcia offensively.

I also hope that Turang progresses, but I haven't given up on Urias. I just think that he was rushed and unfortunately will have to "sink or swim" at the MLB level rather than having the luxury of making his mistakes and learning in the relative obscurity of the minors.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 8:29 AM Post
Not sure he was really rushed. He had long full years at A+, AA, and AAA where he did pretty well at all three stops. He even had a second year at AAA where he didn't struggle at all. He first major look at the MLB level happened at 22...not that young for an international guy who got into the minors before 18.

He is a sink or swim guy because he doesn't really have anything to prove in the minors. His OPS over 750 PAs in AAA was north of .900. Maybe he is just a guy as Briggs mentioned...or worse, a AAAA guy. His only excuse left is the fact he still doesn't have a ton of MLB experience and he really hasn't gotten a good extended look starting consistently. He is about to get that with this trade, so I wish him luck. I certainly hope he can start being a little bit more offensively adequate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2021, 9:25 AM Post
I don't think he was rushed as much as he went from playing every day to inconsistent playing time while playing multiple positions. Like I said earlier, now he knows where he's going to play and will get the lions share of time there. It may take some time for him to adjust to the highest level, as it does for most young players, but I still think he'll turn into a serviceable every day player. Not having Arcia looking over his shoulder may help him become that.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 12:42 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Brew4U said:

Maybe the $5.25mil he is getting paid...$10mil would have been pretty steep.

I was hoping they'd bring him back as well...the idea of being able to throw Hader, Williams, Knebel, Rassmussen, etc... in the pen could have given us one of the better pens in a while.

But it's also not hard to understand why they decided that was a position they could afford to save some money on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 12:53 AM Post
After 2 blown saves by the RPs coming in after Woodruff and Burnes and the amount of posts clamoring the bullpen is trash after Williams and Hader, think these two are more needed than Arcia if either of them better the middle of the bullpen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 09, 2021, 4:38 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Knebel is in for the 9th for the Dodgers in a game they lead 1-0.

I hated this trade when it was made and I hate it even more now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 161 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply