LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  [ 324 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!

Offline  Re: The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!
Posted: October 27, 2021, 8:05 AM Post
turborickey said:
DHonks said:
MilwaukeeBeers said:
We are screwed with this contract I do not see him bouncing back anytime soon. This has the possibility of being Hosmer bad. Heck Chris Davis bad even maybe.

I'm confident you're going to be very wrong with that post.

Just curious, what about his last two seasons leads you to believe he will be wrong?

I think there is a 50/50 shot he is correct, sadly...

Well for a start, Yelich is a whole lot faster running than Davis. There's more value right there. Launch angle improvement will help. Go over to Baseball savant and Statcast pcts. His 2021 is somewhat similar to his 2017 where aside from launch angle and Kpct, he had slightly higher stats. EV, Barrel percent, Max EV, and hard hit percentage. (I guess sweet spot was .1% better in 2017.
2017 was an 807 OPS.

Not going to be all rosy though because we did watch the EV drop and a drop even further will equate to worse results unless that launch angle jumps back above 10pct.

I wouldn't give up completely on Yelich because his plate discipline numbers from 2020 and 2021 were improved. Its just the Launch angle is far too low to notice.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!
Posted: October 27, 2021, 10:01 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:

I wouldn't give up completely on Yelich because his plate discipline numbers from 2020 and 2021 were improved. Its just the Launch angle is far too low to notice.

Plate discipline is surely going to be effected next year when no one will be afraid of him. Those walks might dry up.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!
Posted: October 27, 2021, 11:15 AM Post
turborickey said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

Plate discipline is surely going to be effected next year when no one will be afraid of him. Those walks might dry up.

On Statcast plate discipline isn't just about taking pitches for walks. This is zone swing pct, zone contact pct , chase pct, chase contact pct, whiff pct, 1st pitch swing pct, overall swing pct, meatball pct, and probably a couple I'm not remembering off top of my head.
2020 was a glaringly bad view. 2021 was closer to non 2019 seasons. It's fairly obvious confidence and attacking pitches is most of whats wrong. Launch Angle the biggest culprit of it all.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: The struggles of Yelich and Hiura - Let the numbers talk!
Posted: October 27, 2021, 11:16 AM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
turborickey said:
brewcrewdue80 said:

On Statcast plate discipline isn't just about taking pitches for walks. This is zone swing pct, zone contact pct , chase pct, chase contact pct, whiff pct, 1st pitch swing pct, overall swing pct, meatball pct, and probably a couple I'm not remembering off top of my head.
2020 was a glaringly bad view. 2021 was closer to non 2019 seasons. It's fairly obvious confidence and attacking pitches is most of whats wrong. Launch Angle the biggest culprit of it all.

Meh, he sucked last year, no way to get around it.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  [ 324 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply