LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 160 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

Offline  Stearns and the Mets rumors

Posted: September 10, 2021, 12:14 PM Post
The national dopes like Olney are starting rumors again linking David Stearns to the Mets. Is this something we have to worry about and is it true that his contract only runs through the 2022 season. Really hope that Attanasio extends Stearns and makes him one of the highest paid executives in the game.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Stearns and the Mets rumors

Posted: September 10, 2021, 12:32 PM Post
I think it would take a major raise for him to work for that trainwreck.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2021, 12:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
It's the team he rooted for growing up so until they get a permanent hire I'll be concerned.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2021, 12:41 PM Post
Hopefully, this guy's "sources" are accurate:

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/09/sources-stearns-beane-and-epstein-all-unlikely-to-join-mets.html/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2021, 1:08 PM Post
I don't want to lose Stearns, that said as the years have gone by more and more it's been proven that just because there's been one guy that feels like a perfect fit to run "your" organization that doesn't mean if he/she moves on or is let go that they can't be replaced. The Brewers found Stearns, I trust that they have the tools to find the next successful person to do the job just as well if not better. Hopefully that day doesn't come until many, many successful years in the future.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2021, 1:14 PM Post
Hey if he wants to go to his home team so be it. But I don't think I see him walking away right now with this window they have set up the next 2-3 years with these pitchers in order to go to a somewhat mess of a situation in a crazy media environment. He might never get a better opportunity for a title than the next 3ish years.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

Posted: September 19, 2021, 3:07 PM Post
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/14 ... 44484?s=20

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

Posted: September 19, 2021, 3:15 PM Post

Roster Guru
Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

but he's done such a good job with brewer's offense!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 3:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
It’s my understanding that the Brewers can continue to decline giving the Mets permission to interview Stearns until the end of his current reported contract status (through the 2022 season) unless the Mets job is a clear promotion. Since Stearns is already a President of Baseball Operations I believe the only way the Mets could accomplish that is to include a minority ownership stake with the role. Requests to interview high level executives go through the league office, and so teams are able to decline interviews of their internal executives for lateral moves [by title].

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 7:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
I’ve been really worried about this as soon as I heard the job came open. I’m hoping he sees a legit chance to win a World Series coming up here and won’t think about leaving until he accomplishes that or he sees the window closing. The only other hope I had is maybe, as we navigate a pandemic, he sees the value of living in a smaller city where you have more space. I really hope Mark steps up and extends him!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 8:16 PM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
I’ve been really worried about this as soon as I heard the job came open. I’m hoping he sees a legit chance to win a World Series coming up here and won’t think about leaving until he accomplishes that or he sees the window closing. The only other hope I had is maybe, as we navigate a pandemic, he sees the value of living in a smaller city where you have more space. I really hope Mark steps up and extends him!

Executives like stability. Nobody knows what Cohen will be like as an owner. The Brewers owner has had 2 GMs during his tenure and the longest tenured manager in the NL. I’m sure that stability is huge

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 8:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jopal78! said:
RobDeer 45 said:

Executives like stability. Nobody knows what Cohen will be like as an owner. The Brewers owner has had 2 GMs during his tenure and the longest tenured manager in the NL. I’m sure that stability is huge

Not to mention Cohen’s off the cuff Tweeting habits are reportedly shared with one another and mocked amongst several front office executives throughout baseball. The guy has come across as being anything but stable thus far.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 8:36 PM Post
There is absolutely nothing to point to Stearns having any interest in the Mets job. The only thing that gets hashed over and over is the fact that is his hometown team or something.

It doesn’t make a ton of sense for Stearns to leave the Brewers. He might as well ride the Brewers until the team dies (probably when Woodruff/Burnes/Hader/Adames are going out the door) and then leave for a premium job when he looks like a genius still. Basically what Theo Epstein does…it’s a genius plan for a GM.

I would predict the Brewers/Stearns come to an extension agreement this off-season going through 2024 or 2025. Trust Stearns through the rest of the window and possibly to start you on the right path to a rebuild. Then let him go to a more interesting and probably a big market team. Can’t blame a guy building such a resume to not want to man our entire rebuild of suck.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 9:23 PM Post
Stearns has been great. He's incredible. Not always right but always willing to stay flexible and go where the analytics take him.

I think, though, it's a whole organizational philosophy at this point. In this era of baseball, everyone has the same numbers and the same stuff (except maybe the Rockies), and the difference between Stearns and Arnold or whoever might be next in line is not to going to be as big as it might t have been even 5 years ago.

I hope the guy stays forever. But the whole FO is onto something, and I think that goes beyond one guy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 9:57 PM Post
Cool Hand Lucroy said:
I hope the guy stays forever. But the whole FO is onto something, and I think that goes beyond one guy.

The other concern is if a new guy comes in and wants to put 'his guy' in as manager. I'd really hate to lose CC to politics.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2021, 10:33 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Cool Hand Lucroy said:
Stearns has been great. He's incredible. Not always right but always willing to stay flexible and go where the analytics take him.

I think, though, it's a whole organizational philosophy at this point. In this era of baseball, everyone has the same numbers and the same stuff (except maybe the Rockies), and the difference between Stearns and Arnold or whoever might be next in line is not to going to be as big as it might t have been even 5 years ago.

Oh yeah, I’m convinced that Attanasio’s ability to run an organization is behind this as much as anything. The guy just knows how to find talent and put people in a position to succeed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2021, 5:32 AM Post
Stearns might feel like he has generally accomplished his goal here by building the Brewers into a consistent playoff participant. Maybe he’s one of those individuals who is more motivated by taking on a new challenge than operating in a comfortable environment.

I really want to see what he can do with the core set of pitchers the Brewers have developed to beef up some of the soft spots in the everyday lineup.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2021, 7:44 AM Post
Going to guess Attanasio would not allow a new GM to dump Counsell. If Stearns were to leave I would pretty much expect them to just promote from within. At least in the short term.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2021, 8:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Going to guess Attanasio would not allow a new GM to dump Counsell. If Stearns were to leave I would pretty much expect them to just promote from within. At least in the short term.

Yeah it'd be Arnold's job unless Stearns somehow was able to take him along to his new gig.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2021, 9:43 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

Would be a helluva first impression from a new GM to come in and replace the winningest manager in team history, who is regarded as one of the top managers in the game, and is a local guy on top of it all.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 160 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply