LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cordero's Contract

Offline  Cordero's Contract

Posted: July 17, 2007, 2:37 AM Post
ESPN will do all the marketing that Cordero's agent needs.

All star closer
Playoff team

Insert endless hype about how he just dominates with his strikeouts and raises his level in pressure situations.

Seriously of the handful of relievers worth sizeable contracts Cordero really belongs on the list because he's distinguished himself from most other relievers not by having a great season, but by consistently being very good most relievers are so flaky that it's ridiculous. He's had one bad month in the last half dozen years, for comparison that's 2-3 starts worth of innings. Only an imbecile for a manager would yank a perenial All-star starting pitcher from his rotation after a couple of bad starts (unless he knew of an injury) that's the only blemish on Cordero's track record really.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 2:39 AM Post
Do you think it's more likely that another team will not offer him more money than a small-market club?

The big market teams may also want to spend money on other players like Gagne or a starter. There are only so many big market teams to begin with and it narrows further if the only ones competeing for him are ones with a need for a closer and don't decide on another option. It's not like Coco is the only option out there.
It also doesn't matter what any big market team might offer if he decides the Brewers have made an offer he likes and he doesn't want to go through free agency. I just don't know what his attitude is about the team and what his personal greed level is. Another team could offer him more than the Brewers are willing to spend but I don't know if Coco is that much more interested in getting every last dollar he can vs. getting what he thinks is a fair contract in a situation he likes. I don't think anyone does so it's hard to conclusivly say he's gone.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 2:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
The discussion as to whether or not Cordero signs an extension reminds me a lot of the discussion we had last year about Lee.

There were plenty of people who held the opinion that Lee should be resigned whatever the cost, and lots of others who believed that the Brewers need only make a reasonable offer and Lee would be extended.

Once Lee signed with the Astros, I believe that even the most ardent supporters of re-signing Lee understood it could have never happened.

I suspect that unless Cordero is willing to take less (than he could get on the market) to sign with Milwaukee, he won't sign an in-season extension. I also believe that if he doesn't sign an in-season extension, some team will make a huge offer to Cordero like the Astros made to Lee, and no matter how much he liked his time in Milwaukee, he'll be playing somewhere else next year.

Now, watch him go and except arby or something totally unexpected next year...

Chris
-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 2:51 AM Post
When he is the World Series MVP I think we are going to have to resign him.

Honestly I think this is a debate which is impossible to have because so much of this teams revenue will possibly be generated in the playoffs. Alot depends on if/how far we go.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 3:11 AM Post
There were plenty of people who held the opinion that Lee should be resigned whatever the cost, and lots of others who believed that the Brewers need only make a reasonable offer and Lee would be extended.

For the record I'm not saying we should resign him no matter the cost. If we could get him at the 4 year $36 million Passon projected him at I'd be fine with it. I think if he wants to go the free agent route he will get more. I just don't know if he's a Carlos Lee type who wants top dollar above all else of if he's the type who would rather be where he's comfortable and winning at a decent but not spectacular price. Not saying that all we have to do is offer him a fair deal and he will accept. I just don't know his thought process or what he values more for his future. I do think we can make a decent offer and still keep the payroll reasonable for the next couple years becuase we'll have some cheap starters for the next couple years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 3:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
I just don't know if he's a Carlos Lee type who wants top dollar above all else of if he's the type who would rather be where he's comfortable and winning at a decent but not spectacular price.

I think there are a lot of reasons that players have for becoming a free agent that don't include making as much money as the possibly can make.

That said, once those players become free agents, it is often very difficult to turn down considerable more money from one place to play another. It's one thing to sign an extension and gain a bit of extra security at the expense of future earnings- its something entirely different to take the lesser offer.

My feeling is that once he becomes a FA, some team is going to offer him a lot more money than Milwaukee is willing to pay a closer, and it would take a special individual to turn down a lot of money someplace else to play in Milwaukee.

If I were forced to make a prediction now, I'd say this is his last season in Milwaukee unless he's resigned before the season ends. It's not a certainty, but I think it's probable he's not a Brewer in 2008.

Chris
-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 4:23 AM Post
I think there are a lot of reasons that players have for becoming a free agent that don't include making as much money as the possibly can make

True, things like wanting to go to a competetive team, not liking the organization/manager, wanting to go through the free agent expereience are all reasons I can thnk of of the top of my head. None of those seem to be the case with Coco though.

That said, once those players become free agents, it is often very difficult to turn down considerable more money from one place to play another. It's one thing to sign an extension and gain a bit of extra security at the expense of future earnings- its something entirely different to take the lesser offer.

Totally agree. I have little doubt if he gets to free agency he's gone. I'm just not certain he's going to get to it. If you were to put a gun to my head I'd say he is. Partly because of him partly because I don't know if Melvin feels it's the wisest way of spending limited resources. I do think there is a greater chance of something getting done than many believe though. I'd be fine with $9 million for 4 years if Coco would accept it. I don't know if Coco and Melvin would be fine with it though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 7:07 AM Post
Quote:
I'd like to thank Coco in advance for the two draft picks.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I don't think the Brewers have ever recieved a compensatory pick and every year it seems like the Brewers have a rediculously good draft. Yes the Brewers have drafted high, but usually the 2nd, and3rd round picks turn out really well. I think it will be exciting to see what Jack Z can do with a couple more picks between the first and second round.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 8:30 AM Post
Every time Cordero's contract is brought up Melvin says they won't talk during the season. He's basically saying he won't be back without saying it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 17, 2007, 9:42 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator

I don't think the Brewers have ever recieved a compensatory pick and every year it seems like the Brewers have a rediculously good draft.
You have to go back to 1993, but the Brewers received compensation for losing Paul Molitor. Jeff D'Amico and Kelly Wunch were first-rounders. Todd Dunn and Joe Wagner appear to be sandwich picks (or whatever they might have been called back then).

1993 Amateur Baseball Draft Round 1

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply