LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 44 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kyles: Parra and Balfour (paraphrasing): Ready Now

Offline  Kyles: Parra and Balfour (paraphrasing): Ready Now

Posted: July 11, 2007, 1:40 AM Post
Man I've been posting on here for 5 years now and I see there is still a mindset that average is good enough.

John, your insights are often worth a lot, but please spare us this "I'm morally superior to you weaklings" bit. You're talking to a community of over 2000 people. First, that's way too big a group to stereotype as having any single mindset. Second, many people here, believe it or not, are just as smart and insightful as you. Third, everyone here (except for the visitors from elsewhere in the Central -- One Love, guys) wants the Brewers to succeed just as much as you do.

When somebody suggests that the team should stick with relievers who aren't stinking up the joint, the reasonable inference to draw is that the poster is making a point about the risk-reward calculus of using somebody with a current MLB track record as opposed to somebody who has thrown some strong innings at AA or AAA. You may disagree with that person's risk-reward assessment, and FWIW, I'm inclined to agree with you in this case.

But to beat on such a poster because he doesn't satisfy your macho ethos of condemning mediocrity in all its forms -- and to insult every person on this board in the bargain -- is unfair, mean-spirited, and totally unworthy of your obvious intelligence and baseball acumen.

Greg.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2007, 2:19 AM Post
John, your insights are often worth a lot, but please spare us this "I'm morally superior to you weaklings" bit.

But to beat on such a poster -- and insult every person on this board in the bargain -- because he doesn't satisfy your macho ethos of condemning mediocrity in all its forms

Wow, you read all that into it? You must have some special glasses. Moral superiority? Weaklings? Macho ethos? That's a big stretch. I don't feel personally insulted.

I'm with casey, you move more cautiously when you have to DFA someone and may not have the option of going back. There's certainly the possiblity Parra/Balfour could struggle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2007, 2:55 AM Post
I'm with casey, you move more cautiously when you have to DFA someone and may not have the option of going back. There's certainly the possiblity Parra/Balfour could struggle.

Same with me. DFAing someone should be a last resort for someone who just has not and most likely will not contribute. Obviously Spurling was doing well enough in AAA to warrant the call up when he did. If Spurling could produce well enough at AAA to be called up then not pitch up to some people's expectations what makes those same people think the others will? Especially ones with a history of injury and very little major league experience to go on. If you have to DFA someone to call up another you darn well better be right about them being an upgrade. You better be equally sure the move doesn't drain your depth ion the event a rash of injuries occur.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2007, 3:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
Having depth during the playoff stretch could be what gets us into the playoffs. If/when one of our starters goes down, either Carlos or Yo will be moved to the rotation. We will then need all of our current bullpen plus one of Thatcher, Parra or Balfour. If more than one of our pitchers go down over the same period (which is fairly likely over half a season), we will need two of the above.

With that in mind, if the Brewers braintrust feels that 2 or 3 of the above players are better options than Spurling, what do you think we could get for Spurling in a trade? We managed to get what looks to be a pretty good young arm for Capellan. Would we be able to net anything of value (maybe a high-risk/high-reward player) for Spurling?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 44 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply