LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All-Stars: Prince batting 6th; Peavy starting

Offline  All-Stars: Prince batting 6th; Peavy starting
Posted: July 01, 2007, 11:27 AM Post
Very, very convenient that Bonds made up all of those votes at the end like that, thereby saving LaRussa a tough call. It's weird to me that he passed Soriano when the latter was really blistering (at least as I remember it) in June and hails from one of the largest markets in the country. But, who knows? Maybe fans decided en masse to give Barry a lifetime achievement award.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 11:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
Edit: Ha, Fuentes makes it. He's not even the closer for his team anymore.

Reminds me of someone from last year...cant quite put my finger on it...

Who would that be?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 11:51 AM Post
Biggest snubs were probably Sheffield and Chris Young. Sheff could have something to do with the players not voting him in because of personality/BALCO. Chris Young is very deserving and could have been squeezed in instead of Fuentes

All in all, the selections are good and you can't please everyone. My guess is that Chris Young and Roy Halladay (maybe Bonderman) will get the final vote. I will be voting for Young and Escobar.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 11:54 AM Post
Plus Young took a hefty swing at Lee, didn't make contact, but enough for me to throw a few votes his way when I have some free time...

Not to mention 8 wins, a 2.14 ERA and a 1.09 WHP going into tonight. Along with the fact he is on a team that is staying on top of a surprisingly good division this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 12:08 PM Post
Who would that be?

He's talking about Turnbow, but really Turnbow was still the closer for the Brewers at the all-star break, so it's not the same situation really. Turnbow blew up in the following weeks.

This feels so surreal. We are 13 games over, in first place by a good margin, and have four all-stars with one legit MVP candidate. Last season feels light years behind us already.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 12:42 PM Post
It looks like the vote was not even close for first base. Fielder beat Pujols by about 800,000 votes. In fact, all the Brewers did pretty well in the voting.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...index.html

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 12:45 PM Post
Flashback to May 29th. Brewers vs. Braves. Brewers on a 6 game losing streak.

In the 1st inning with Ben Sheets pitching, Willy Harris hits a 2 run homer...Sheets gives up 3 in the inning. At that very point, who wouldv'e believed that Big Ben is going to the All-Star game? Unreal...

Congratulations to those guys. They all deserved it, and I'm especially stoked to see Prince blow away the likes of Pujols, Lee, and Garciaparra in the voting.

4 All Stars for the first time since 1983? Crazy...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 12:49 PM Post
Quote:
Biggest snubs were probably Sheffield and Chris Young.

Case could be made for either. My personal choice for biggest snub is Granderson. Sosa could have made it too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 12:54 PM Post
so happy to see this many Brewers going to the ASG. and looking at the voting we weren't far away from having a couple more. There will always be snubs just glad none of them were brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 1:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
In fact, all the Brewers did pretty well in the voting.

Wow, you aren't kidding. Estrada 3rd, Prince 1st, Weeks 2nd, Hardy 2nd, Counsell 6th (!!!!), Jenkins 6th, Hall 8th, Hart 10th. Pretty amazing showing, actually.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 1:05 PM Post
I'm pretty sure that group of 10 people that voted all Brewers really did make a huge impact on the voting.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 2:16 PM Post
Grats guys! Just hope that they have second half slumps like most of our all stars have recently.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 2:37 PM Post
Is that some sort of reverse jinx you're doing? Because sorry man, I'm not rooting for a Turnbow-esque meltdown from our four best players.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 3:16 PM Post
The winning record maybe helped a little too, for other team's fans who weren't sure who to put for a certain position, deciding just to go for the Brewers player on the list because they keep hearing how young and good the team is.

Congrats to our boys! I've never been this excited to watch an all-star game!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 3:45 PM Post
This whole selection of pitchers for the NL is baffling... it reeks of managers calling LaRussa and saying, "I don't want my ace starter pitching in the All-Star game - pick a reliever instead, they're used to the work and it won't mess with my rotation."

Really, how else do you explain Fuentes over Young, Webb, and Gorzelanny. And Sanchez as the Pitt rep over Gorzelanny or Snell.

Please vote en masse for anybody other than that jackass Zambrano.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 3:53 PM Post
As for another "snub", I think you have to mention John Maine (if he hasn't already been mentioned, I'm just joining the discussion 7 pages into the thread).

W/L - 9-4
ERA - 2.74
SO - 84
WHIP - 1.15

I don't know if the point has been made, and maybe this is blasphemous, but if we're looking strictly at numbers, there are probably 3 guys that belong ahead of Sheets. I think Sheets just gets the extra "bump" because he is the ace of a young, exciting team. It's exciting as a Brewers fan, but I'm just not sure if it's entirely fair.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2007, 3:59 PM Post
Quote:
Please vote en masse for anybody other than that jackass Zambrano.

Actually I'd rather have him in there throwing... the more innings on his arm the better. :)

Rp

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2007, 4:55 AM Post
Probably a stupid question, but who selects which pitchers go to the all star game? I don't remember being able to vote on pitchers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2007, 4:57 AM Post
the managers do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2007, 5:08 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
late to the thread...

Wow! Four All-Stars was my 'best case' hope, but now it's great to see it come true! Four AS's for any team not in NY, Bos, or LA, let alone our Brewers. 2007 gets better and better.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 200 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply