LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Belling's solution to fix the brewers

Offline  Belling's solution to fix the brewers

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:04 AM Post
Not sure i agree with all of it, but here is what he said

1) promote Gallardo to the rotation, demote either Suppan or Capuano

2) bring up Parra (didn't offer a suggestion on who to get rid of)

3)acquire a 2nd baseman for insurance for Weeks

While I'd like to see Gallardo in the rotation, is its not a smart move if they are limiting their innings. Capuano had 2 starts since being hurt with no rehab ones. Suppan has shown the ability to be strong in the 2nd half. i wouldn't demote any of these.

2) Parra would be nice to have in the pen, but as stated before you have to bring someone down, and who is that going to be. He may be ready along with Balfour. The case could be made that Balfour would be more ready than Parra. Who knows though if Belling knows who Grant Balfour is. Parra would be a good 2nd lefty in the pen, but someone has to go down.

3) If a scenerio comes up to get an insurance 2nd baseman comes up, that is fine, but i wouldn't do it just to do it. Graffanino did fine last season in that role. He has been doing better of late, so i would let him have that role. I wouldn't want to give up a prospect or get rid of a starter just to have a 2nd baseman for 2 months.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:15 AM Post
Wait, Belling as in Mark Belling?

There is pretty much no chance that Suppan or Capuano will be demoted at this point. But, Gallardo will be in the rotation by the end of the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:17 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
This isn't what I expected. I was thinking I'd be reading something outlandish?kind of like 2004 when he was pissed that the team didn't adopt his idea of giving way free hamburgers.

I think we're pretty well insured at 2B. Did Belling acknowledge the concept of being careful with Yo's innings?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:23 AM Post
If you are fishing for someone to rip on Belling I am not going to bite. However, I will say if you are listening to Belling for sporting insight you may want to change the channel.

edit: Ok, Ok, I kinda bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:27 AM Post
Some guy I talked to in the McDonald's parking lot says they need to call up Joe Dillon. Now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:35 AM Post
Does Mark Belling even know who Graffy is?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd guess there's currently less than a 1% chance that either Capuano or Suppan get sent to the pen.

Just as the people who were giddy at Suppan's excellent start, the people who want to tear him to shreds now that he's been struggling always need to realize that a 162 game season has ups and downs. Suppan is what he is, and what he's not, is a bullpen arm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 10:44 AM Post
Melvin out. Belling in.

Brewers=World Series Champions!

My only regret is that noone thought of this sooner!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 11:07 AM Post
Belling out

Dead air takes his place.

That's my dream.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 11:48 AM Post
I'd rather sit and pick the lint out of my jean pockets than listen to Mark Belling. I agree, if you're listening to Mark Belling about the Brewers, I think you need to check into the E-Ward.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 11:50 AM Post
A couple of weeks ago, Belling hinted that the Cubs would win the division. He's a genuine pessimist when it comes to sports and his insight stems from emotion, not logic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 12:02 PM Post
He obviously is a big sports fan, but I think some of his opinions will be misguided. I was hoping that we could discuss his opinion as we would discuss anyone who writes a column or posts on this board.

I would like to see Yo in the pen, i just don't see demoting Suppan or Cappy. If we find a decent trade for Bush or Vargas I would be fine with that.

If we did his the trade he suggested we would have 2 backup IF's unless one got traded as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 12:29 PM Post
I guess Belling should be the GM now, he's a genius.

But really, the only move I would consider somewhat feasible would maybe be moving Yo into the rotation...in mid-August or so, for maybe Bush or Vargas, not Capuano or Suppan. I think those two will right themselves to being 2 games or so above .500 the rest of the way in games they start, which would be enough for me, provided Sheets continues to put up and the team continues winning in Vargas' starts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 12:40 PM Post
I've not been a huge fan of Supuano's efforts lately, in fact it reminds me of the Soprano's final epsiode...unsatisfying and woefully incomplete.

The only thing you can really do is ride them out, they are quality arms with a good approach...Supp just gets hits hard as he is finding way too much of the plate and the walks are absolutely impaling Capuano. He either needs to throw strikes or I guess we'll see alot of 4th inning piggybacks between him and Gallardo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 12:49 PM Post
Quote:
I've not been a huge fan of Supuano's efforts lately, in fact it reminds me of the Soprano's final epsiode...unsatisfying and woefully incomplete.

Heee, BPD nailed it. Villy and Yo will never crack the roatation because they need to be there on 4 days rest when Supuano starts. Somebody has to pick up the 4th-7th. The quote is most funny as well.

As for Belling, I would rather drink a bowl of vomit than listen to him, but he isn't totally off on the pitching thing. On the others, well, he needs to pay a little more attention.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 1:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
It seems like just a few weeks ago when everyone was calling for Bush to be sent to the pen/traded/DFA'd, but now he is the second best pitcher on the team. Its a 162 game season and that is what the people in charge understand. Average fans (i.e. Belling) operate on the "what have you done for me lately" attitude. There is no reason to believe that in 2 months, Cappy and Soup wont be carrying the team into their playoff push.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 1:55 PM Post
Quote:
There is no reason to believe that in 2 months, Cappy and Soup wont be carrying the team into their playoff push.
I really hope this is true and I tend to agree with you, although I don't know if I necessarily think that there's "no reason". Cappy has struggled over the second half over the past few seasons (relative to his strong first halves), which doesn't necessarily equate to repeated behavior, but it's also a definite possibility.

I think it's just as possible that Weeks will shake out of it and go on a complete tear, which will hopefully be the case as well. Braun could fall off from his rabid upper .300 pace and struggle defensively, (I am knocking on wood and turning around three times and spitting and all that stuff, don't worry). Long seasons, ebbs and flows, blah blah blah, but these do not good radio make.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 1:55 PM Post
Considering a few years ago he advocated playing Brooks Kieschnick every day b/c he thought he'd continue his 1-7 at bat to homer ratio or whatever it is, i dont think we need to take this too seriously. However, i dont entirely disagree. To me putting Gallardo in the bullpen to "save is arm" is dumb. If you want to save his arm, put in Nashville. It just bothers me that we have not one, but two pitchers in the bullpen that are better options at the #4 and #5 starter role. I agree with calling up Parra...he can replace Spurling. As far as a second basemen, i think Graffy could be ok, but i wouldnt mind an improvement via trade. Weeks is playing horribly right now so I wouldnt even mind finding someone to play 3-4 nights a week.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 2:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
We're tied for the best record in the NL... what are we "fixing"?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2007, 2:36 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
To "fix" the Brewers, start winning on the road.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply