LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is Bill Hall too cocky?

Offline  Is Bill Hall too cocky?

Posted: June 27, 2007, 11:21 PM Post
All the good things Bill Hall does not negate my opinion that he stands in the box way too long on his home runs. He's not Howard, Bonds, or even Fielder. Someone is going to plunk him up high to send a message at some point.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 11:26 PM Post
Actually Lee played the ball really well (especially for Lee).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 11:48 PM Post
"Someone is going to plunk him up high to send a message at some point."

When pitchers throw at hitters, they don't throw at their heads. Someone may bury a fastball in Billy's ribs one day, sure. If that were the biggest potential problem with Hall's 'stand and watch it fly' tendency, I don't think many people on this site would be concerned about this behavior.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 27, 2007, 11:53 PM Post

Roster Guru
if prince fielder can turn it on rounding first on a fly ball and score on his own leg power, imagine what anyone else can do.

the reason fielder turned the speed on rounding first in that oh so memorable game was because he saw that lew ford was not positioned anywhere near the ball.

had bill hall turned on the speed from the moment he hit the ball, he would have increased his chances of reaching third with only one out. of course, that would have been dependent on carlos lee doing an even worse job in left . . . but that's something you have to anticipate with a fielder like lee.

save your admiration for yourself with your tivo'd "young and the restless", billy hall. run them all out.

Hopefully, Eugene can use this offseason to work on his punctuation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:00 AM Post
Plunking up high doesn't mean the head... the ole hit em in the rump would be more like hit him between the shoulder blades. Maybe he gets out of the way, maybe he doesn't...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:03 AM Post
After seeing the hit on SC and Squeeze Play off the bat I sure thought he got all of it. Bottomline is he got to 2B, I do hope Billy gets out of the box a little quicker next time in a situation like that but I wouldnt make to much of it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:11 AM Post
Quote:
Actually Lee played the ball really well (especially for Lee).

The thing that irked the Astros announcers was the was he flipped the ball back into the shortstop. It was their contention that, given the fact that Hall wasn't running hard, a good heads up throw would have got him.

And as far as all the great things Billy does in the community - what does that have to do with him not hustling out of the box. Does he get a pass because he's a good guy? And yes he is, from all accounts, a great guy. He's one of my favorite Brewers, maybe that why I'm holding him to a high standard.

And, as others have pointed out, this is not new behavior from Billy. The difference between the past and now is that Billy is looked to as a leader on this club. He's now one of the veterans. He needs to set the example.

Anyone remember Hall being benched (not once, but twice) for not hustling down the line? Of course that was 3 years ago, before hall became the all star slugger he is today...

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:13 AM Post
Anyone remember Hall being benched (not once, but twice) for not hustling down the line?

Oh yeah I remember Yost sitting him two different times for doing that. I belive they were in 2005 the first real break out year he had.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:38 AM Post
Almost doesn't do much for me, esp. in baseball. Until he actually does get thrown out I see no reason to worry. I find it amazing how some players every move get dissected when other players mistakes go virtually unnoticed. The love/hate of peoples favorite/least favorite players make them see a different game than I see I guess. If you're not a member of the "my boy" club you will be forever scrutinized. All part of being a fan I reckon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 12:56 AM Post
One would hope that sprint would be the automatic default option

Exactly -- If you want to say Billy needs to haul butt out of the batters box, I agree 100%. Hopefully he learns from this.

I would never use a situation like this to reflect on his character. I am sure he got caught up in the excitement. I am sure Bill realizes he was lucky to either not get thrown out at 2nd or held up at first.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 1:12 AM Post
The love/hate of peoples favorite/least favorite players make them see a different game than I see I guess

not sure if you have read this therad or not. Because most of the people that are upset are Billy Hall fans. Sure he made it to second but thats no excuse to stand there and watch the ball. I'm willing to be Yost had a conversation with him about it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 1:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
Someone is going to plunk him up high to send a message at some point.

Awesome... free base runners!

Chris
-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 1:15 AM Post
Its not like Bill is the first guy to watch a ball crushed that could result in a walk-off HR.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 2:01 AM Post
rickie would have been at third

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 2:54 AM Post
I love Bill Hall. As far as I can tell, he is a great guy. Howevver, the only criticism I have of him is that on any hard hit ball to the gap or anywhere near the fence, there is a good 1-2 second pause before he starts running. I don't think is necessarily means he is cocky, but it is easy to correct and Ned needs to do something about it. I'm sure he did after last night. Any kind of a decent throw by Lee would have gotten him at second.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 3:05 AM Post
I'm a believer of the phrase "It ain't bragging if it's true" and Billy boy is in no way a arrogant.

I think everyone at the park yesterday thought that double in the 11th was a home run just like Bill.

Especially if it's a walkoff shot, I think everyone tends to be a little more showboaty (if that's a word).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 6:56 AM Post
Global Moderator
Anyone remember Hall being benched (not once, but twice) for not hustling down the line? Of course that was 3 years ago, before hall became the all star slugger he is today...

I remember Yost sitting him down for a couple games last year after he got thrown out of a game for showing up an umpire after a called strike three call. I remember him flipping his bat over the plate and turning around to argue right away, and while Ned went out to argue after Billy got thrown out, he said something after that game about showing up the ump not being acceptable, even though Ned himself disagreed with the call.

"[Baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun
Twitter

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:01 AM Post
I remember Yost sitting him down for a couple games last year after he got thrown out of a game for showing up an umpire after a called strike three call. I remember him flipping his bat over the plate and turning around to argue right away, and while Ned went out to argue after Billy got thrown out, he said something after that game about showing up the ump not being acceptable, even though Ned himself disagreed with the call.

I remember that as well. I still think he was benched once for hustle as well though. Im one of the biggest Hall fans here and I in know way consider Hall to be a show boater, he just got caught up in the moment yesterday of thinking he hit ANOHTER walk-off HR.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 8:47 AM Post
Im one of the biggest Hall fans here and I in know way consider Hall to be a show boater, he just got caught up in the moment yesterday of thinking he hit ANOHTER walk-off HR.

No need to get caught up in the moment, just play the game and hustle around the bases. Lack of hustle could have cost the team a win. Bill Hall should be the last person to be looking to see if he hit it out, he seems to have overcome his early troubles in CF by hard work, dedication and hustle. He shoudl apply those things to his every at bat.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 28, 2007, 8:59 AM Post
I think everyone thought that ball was gone, based on the swing and location of the hanging curve. I don't think any hitter would have ran down the line full speed after that.

Carlos thought it was gone too, as he threw the ball into the SS, rather than to 2B, if he thought he had a play, or to 3B, if he did not think he did. The fact the SS was where he was tells me he never moved either, as he should have been in between the LF and either 2B or 3B.

It fooled everyone, Billy must have got the top half of the ball just a bit, rather than the lift it appeared he had gotten.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 63 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply